Alan Pardew

Mike

No doubt he used Europe as an excuse. The only people who don't seem to accept that Europe is a factor are people on this forum from what I can see. Everyone else in football seems to readily accept that it's a factor that makes the season harder.

No doubt he used Europe as an excuse. The only people who don't seem to accept that Europe is a factor are people on this forum from what I can see. Everyone else in football seems to readily accept that it's a factor that makes the season harder.

It's a factor, it's not a vaild excuse for being shit all season.

It's a factor, it's not a vaild excuse for being shit all season.

Of course not, I wouldn't argue that. He made a load of mistakes as well.

No doubt Pardew moaned and complained about Europe, many managers do this. But to conclude from that that he doesn't want to finish as high up the league as possible, and therefore qualify again, is absolutely stupid.

I genuinely believe he'd prefer to finish 6th and have that spot not qualify for Europa League due to cup winners than to get in. And that's pathetic.

I don't know, if the league position was the same you might be right. I don't think he'd be the only manager around to wish he didn't have to play in the Europa League mind. Some are just better at PR.

I mean, in his defense, he knows more than we do about what Ashley's willing to do in terms of building a squad. He probably knows he won't be given the bodies. But keep your fucking mouth shut.

I think people do accept it as part of the problem  still no excuses for our dogend football

We never played a weakened team in Europe Brett? That is utter nonsense.

Go and look at the teams that played away at Maritimo and Bordeaux.

Never said we didn't, i said generally we played a strong side and respected the cup, early doors we got away with it against worse opposition but soon as we progressed, Pardew took it serious and fielded good line ups, he didn't field kids and keep them for the league, he give Europa his best shot but in the end we just fell short and had it not been for a 20 minute poor spell in the away leg then who knows what the outcome might have been. We will be back in it sooner rather than later with the quality we have.

It's a factor, it's not a vaild excuse for being s*** all season.

Its a decent reason when it affects the previous seasons successful system of preperation most weeks. Football is slightly more complicated than "we're out of Europe now so we'll be mint" also, due to the fact is played by human beings and we tend to be quite reactive to things like psychology & emotion.

Guest reefatoon

The fans love European matches Ian.  It was great to be back playing in them, but all we heard from our t*** of a manager was how it is a burden on this, a problem/excuse for that.  He made it feel like it was just a load of s**** that got in the way.  Us as fans don't want to hear about that.  Europe is a reward for success and for him to say (I don't care if it was tongue in cheek) that he was relieved we were not in it this season coming, then he can royally f*** off for me.

I know we've been through this a million times, but I still think travel fatigue and lack of preparation time between games is much more important than match tiredness. Especially for a manager like Pardew who thinks so much about the opposition.

The fans love European matches Ian.  It was great to be back playing in them, but all we heard from our twat of a manage was how it is a burden on this, a problem/excuse for that.  He made it feel like it was just a load of shite that got in the way.  Us as fans don't want to hear about that.  Europe is a reward for success and for him to say (I don't care if it was tongue in cheek) that he was relieved we were not in it this season coming, then he can royally fuck off for me.

That's a fair enough opinion, I agree Europe is great for fans. I just think the actual quotes aren't that bad, and certainly don't mean that Pardew wants to finish outside of the European places deliberately.

Ideally every team would give every competition a proper go, but sadly that's not how football seems to work.

I know we've been through this a million times, but I still think travel fatigue and lack of preparation time between games is much more important than match tiredness. Especially for a manager like Pardew who thinks so much about the opposition.

And you've ignored a million times that our form was worse when Europe was on a three month break.

The fans love European matches Ian.  It was great to be back playing in them, but all we heard from our t*** of a manager was how it is a burden on this, a problem/excuse for that.  He made it feel like it was just a load of s**** that got in the way.  Us as fans don't want to hear about that.  Europe is a reward for success and for him to say (I don't care if it was tongue in cheek) that he was relieved we were not in it this season coming, then he can royally f*** off for me.

this

We came second in the group because we played a weakened team for so long.

Whoopy do, we finished second in the group? Does that really matter? We got furthur than the team who topped us anyways. We had a decent campaign in Europe, we went out giving it our best shot, we just fell short.

Personally think lack of preparation is the main issue, we heard how they plan an entire weeks worth & spend most of that on defensive work. We also saw the result of that being that we had a strong season defensively in the majority of games bar a few. I dont much believe thats a coincidence myself.

He didnt deal well with Europe affecting prem games, hes not the best manager in the world. He is quite defensive & i do think he should find this upcoming season easier which is better for everyone.

Guest neesy111

Can people please try and get some quotes if they are saying other managers will think this or that.  Otherwise it's your own opinion and nothing else.

Guest bimpy474

Personally think lack of preparation is the main issue, we heard how they plan an entire weeks worth & spend most of that on defensive work. We also saw the result of that being that we had a strong season defensively in the majority of games bar a few. I dont much believe thats a coincidence myself.

He didnt deal well with Europe affecting prem games, hes not the best manager in the world. He is quite defensive & i do think he should find this upcoming season easier which is better for everyone.

Our defensive record last season was terrible, nearly the worst we've ever had. Europa we were quite strong defensively tbf but in the league we let in 71 goals, that's just shocking.

It's a factor, it's not a vaild excuse for being s*** all season.

:thup:

Can people please try and get some quotes if they are saying other managers will think this or that.  Otherwise it's your own opinion and nothing else.

Not really, I can't be bothered. I remember hearing on many occasions managers and pundits saying that Europa League makes the season harder.