Alan Pardew

Mike

Classic Europa League dilemma really, you want to qualify for it but then you'd rather you weren't in it. Many managers feel like that I'm sure.

Exactly, don't understand all this Pardew hates Europe? He gave it his best shot, never neglected the cup and fielded weakened teams no matter the opposition. Fact of the matter is, that we generally played pretty much our strongest side in Europe and it did bare an impact on our league form and history tells us we weren't the only ones to suffer from it. Be very interesting to see how Laudrup approaches it. Do i want to be in Europe again next season? Course i do. Does Pardew? Course he does.

http://i.imgur.com/WhwDNqS.png

MOYES

Moyes has blamed the strain of playing so many games in Europe for some of Everton's problems, but he believes they can still qualify for the next stage of the tournament.

He said: "We have lost a couple of Europa League games, but we are still second in our group and very much in the competition. Away to AEK Athens in our next match could just about see us qualify.

Apologies for being pedantic, but the quote you've selected doesn't really bear our the accompanying narrative does it?

I didn't read the quote tbh, just searched "Moyes blames Europe" and that came up. :lol:

Fair enough :lol: :thup:

This season is where we find out what he's really like. He's got a squad far better than the one he started with last season. He's had a bad season to learn a few things. If there's anything about him we'll find out this year. He's got a squad more than capable of finishing top 8. Let's see if he can do it.

:clap:

I'd like to add that i personally don't think he's up to it.

Anything less than 8th and he's failed imo. However, i hope to be completely wrong and for him to really show some strong managerial form that makes us a dangerous and exciting team. Roll on Monday!

Guest reefatoon

This season is where we find out what he's really like. He's got a squad far better than the one he started with last season. He's had a bad season to learn a few things. If there's anything about him we'll find out this year. He's got a squad more than capable of finishing top 8. Let's see if he can do it.

Anything less than 8th and he's failed imo. However, i hope to be completely wrong and for him to really show some strong managerial form that makes us a dangerous and exciting team. Roll on Monday!

We will learn within 5 minutes of seeing the teamsheet on Monday, whether he is looking to change his ways or not.

Not a huge fan of that piece in all honesty. Basically Ashley owns the club and can do what he wants with it. Pardew's in a position where he clearly wants signings as it'll make his job easier but can only push so hard before either making his position untenable or being sacked.

In a sense if the money isn't being put forward both for transfer fees and wages then it's true we can't compete. Sadly Ashley owes us nothing. If he chooses to run the club as an out and out business it's his decision to do that. He clearly feels the squad is strong enough to achieve what he wants - I'm assuming that's finishing in the Premier League so they keep getting the TV money payouts.

Minimum expenditure and maximum (realistic) income. From a business sense nothing wrong with that. Problem is we (as fans) want to push on to be a top 6 club, but the rewards of achieving that are relatively minimal given the outlay you'd have to fork out. Really the only extra 'bonus' is being top four with the Champions League and sadly, even despite our top 5 finish a couple of seasons back we're miles off that given the spending power of Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and Spurs. Not to mention the others like Liverpool. If we get into Europe via the Europa League it may slightly increase our profile, but in terms of finances it makes little difference.

It's annoying as hell yes, but Pardew (whether he's tactically inept is irrelevant) is in a very difficult position really. I don't really envy him, being surrounded by Ashley's yes men and essentially having to be one or being out on his ear.

Bit harsh considering a lot of people think we are in for a relegation battle. High expectations to say top 8 or failed. I personally think we will be there abouts and fancy us to get in top 8 but wouldn't say he's failed if he gets top half to steady the sinking ship.

Not a huge fan of that piece in all honesty. Basically Ashley owns the club and can do what he wants with it. Pardew's in a position where he clearly wants signings as it'll make his job easier but can only push so hard before either making his position untenable or being sacked.

In a sense if the money isn't being put forward both for transfer fees and wages then it's true we can't compete. Sadly Ashley owes us nothing. If he chooses to run the club as an out and out business it's his decision to do that. He clearly feels the squad is strong enough to achieve what he wants - I'm assuming that's finishing in the Premier League so they keep getting the TV money payouts.

Minimum expenditure and maximum (realistic) income. From a business sense nothing wrong with that. Problem is we (as fans) want to push on to be a top 6 club, but the rewards of achieving that are relatively minimal given the outlay you'd have to fork out. Really the only extra 'bonus' is being top four with the Champions League and sadly, even despite our top 5 finish a couple of seasons back we're miles off that given the spending power of Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and Spurs. Not to mention the others like Liverpool. If we get into Europe via the Europa League it may slightly increase our profile, but in terms of finances it makes little difference.

It's annoying as hell yes, but Pardew (whether he's tactically inept is irrelevant) is in a very difficult position really. I don't really envy him, being surrounded by Ashley's yes men and essentially having to be one or being out on his ear.

Would have to agree with this, very fair assessment. The accounts and debt speak for themselves, the question is whether you think Ashley has an obligation to (a) not take any debt repayments and (b) spend tens of millions of his own money to make us more successful.

Fucking hell Ian, not again. You really believe the club is in financial trouble don't you?

The figures don't bear you out. Read them, instead of swallowing the club's rhetoric.

I've looked at the figures, that's how I concluded we don't make any money.

I'm not aware of any rhetoric I've swallowed, I'd like to think I take quite a logical view of most things.

Bit harsh considering a lot of people think we are in for a relegation battle. High expectations to say top 8 or failed. I personally think we will be there abouts and fancy us to get in top 8 but wouldn't say he's failed if he gets top half to steady the sinking ship.

I'm reasonably confident that many people factor Pardew's ability to extract performances from the squad (who have, as a group and individuals, fell dramatically in the estimation of many - understandably, not having seen them produce in an effective team for so long) as part of a reason they expect a relegation battle. The squad itself is quite well equipped to do well, I think - with the exception of few options up front. If by some miracle a new manager came in, they'd be effectively be working from scratch in terms of building a style/ethos/cohesion.

If Europe was the reason last season went to sh1t then he needn't worry about it this year. He's easily got a team that can finish top 8. If you're settling for less with this:

Krul

Debuchey  Saylor/MYM    Colo      Santon

Tiote      Sissoko

Cabaye

HBA                                                Remy

Cisse

then you've a losers mentality pure and simple. We could have terrible injuries this year which would obviously be a mitigating factor. That aside, the team's more than good enough and i sincerely hope Pardew is too.

f***ing hell Ian, not again. You really believe the club is in financial trouble don't you?

The figures don't bear you out. Read them, instead of swallowing the club's rhetoric.

Doesn't really matter whether the club is in debt, in profit or making shed loads. It's what Ashley wants in terms of the finances. If he wants to maximise his profits then why should he invest when realistically on paper we have a squad more than capable of staying in the league? If it's a business and his business model is to stay as a Premier League club then really looking at our squad he doesn't need to invest.

He's a cunt if he doesn't, but that's from a fans perspective. :D

From a business perspective there's very little to gain from a major investment. We won't make the Champions League and in all likeliness fans will still show up for 50k a week attendances.

The team you've set up is exactly why i haven't came on here and slagged us off and remained positive throughout the summer. I've seen Pardew get us to 5th with a worse side so i'm backing him to get things back on track but last season was so bad, it's going to take a lot of hard work and effort to overturn that disaster so much to get top 8, but it's possible, so i'm all in.

The team you've set up is exactly why i haven't came on here and slagged us off and remained positive throughout the summer. I've seen Pardew get us to 5th with a worse side so i'm backing him to get things back on track but last season was so bad, it's going to take a lot of hard work and effort to overturn that disaster so much to get top 8, but it's possible, so i'm all in.

Feel the same basically, I'm positive for the season after the Man City game!

When you consider that Swansea finished 7th last season then it shows that with a half decent squad you can still have a very good season, but you need a good manager who has a squad which is tailored to his preferred style of play. We have neither.

When you consider that Swansea finished 7th last season then it shows that with a half decent squad you can still have a very good season, but you need a good manager who has a squad which is tailored to his preferred style of play. We have neither.

Although we previously finished 5th.

:facepalm:

:facepalm:

i'd like the facepalm explained brett, disgrace tbh

Technically there's nothing stopping Ashley spending the whole new TV money allocation on players or at least  a large proportion of it. I wouldn't mind if he was still looking for value in the market, what would be wrong is not buying the 2/3 players that would see us having a decent season (top 6-8) without too much angst or fear...