Alan Pardew

Mike

He was a fair keeper in his day as well.

Southall was a brilliant keeper even when I watched him in his mid-late thirties.

He was. Even better in the 80s when he was at his most agile

Yep, Southall was consistently excellent season after season. 

I had a black '94 Everton keeper top with his name and number on the back. Wore it to a keeping seminar taught by Alan Miller. He gave me loads of attention when I told him I didn't actually support Everton but just thought Nev was a great keeper.

Haha he wasn't sacked from Southampton for footballing reasons.

Their chairman told Sir John Hall, when we appointed Pardew, that he would do 'OK' for about a year to 18 months, then it would go pear-shaped....

Whether they sacked him for 'football reasons' or not, they had him sussed out......

This should be in here, even if it doesn't contain any graphs.

http://blog.paddypower.com/2013/09/27/neville-southall-newcastle-are-a-great-club-but-pardew-is-an-excuse-maker/?AFF_ID=16562

Neville Southall: Newcastle are a great club, but Pardew is an excuse-maker

Neville Southall was never afraid to speak his mind as a player and his column for the Paddy Power Blog is no different. This week he looks at Newcastle and Everton’s good start to the season

I always loved playing Newcastle. They’re the best fans I’ve ever seen in my life. They turn up whether the team is top of the league or bottom of the league.

It was always a game I looked forward to because their fans were brilliant. To make it at Newcastle, you need a bit of class and you need to graft because that’s what the Geordies appreciate. You need to work for their respect. The team have always played the right way. They’ve had some brilliant players and managers, Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer, Bobby Robson – even if he couldn’t get your name right, he was brilliant – one of the best in the history of British football.

Now they’ve got a good squad, but I have doubts about the manager. Alan Pardew makes excuse after excuse when they lose. Even before they played Manchester City he was blaming Yohann Cabaye because he was supposedly on the verge of joining Arsenal. Obviously playing City away from home isn’t easy, but going into the game he seemed to have made his mind up that they were going to lose.

You didn't quote the rest of his article... 

He’s one of these managers who writes notes. I don’t understand why managers need to write notes. Can’t he remember 45 minutes of football? I don’t remember Alf Ramsey taking notes in the World Cup Final. It’s a load of bollocks.

Pmsl.

Assume this article was written from a chat over a pint.

Distrust pens and anyone that can use them.

This should be in here, even if it doesn't contain any graphs.

http://blog.paddypower.com/2013/09/27/neville-southall-newcastle-are-a-great-club-but-pardew-is-an-excuse-maker/?AFF_ID=16562

Neville Southall: Newcastle are a great club, but Pardew is an excuse-maker

Neville Southall was never afraid to speak his mind as a player and his column for the Paddy Power Blog is no different. This week he looks at Newcastle and Everton’s good start to the season

I always loved playing Newcastle. They’re the best fans I’ve ever seen in my life. They turn up whether the team is top of the league or bottom of the league.

It was always a game I looked forward to because their fans were brilliant. To make it at Newcastle, you need a bit of class and you need to graft because that’s what the Geordies appreciate. You need to work for their respect. The team have always played the right way. They’ve had some brilliant players and managers, Kevin Keegan, Alan Shearer, Bobby Robson – even if he couldn’t get your name right, he was brilliant – one of the best in the history of British football.

Now they’ve got a good squad, but I have doubts about the manager. Alan Pardew makes excuse after excuse when they lose. Even before they played Manchester City he was blaming Yohann Cabaye because he was supposedly on the verge of joining Arsenal. Obviously playing City away from home isn’t easy, but going into the game he seemed to have made his mind up that they were going to lose.

You didn't quote the rest of his article... 

He’s one of these managers who writes notes. I don’t understand why managers need to write notes. Can’t he remember 45 minutes of football? I don’t remember Alf Ramsey taking notes in the World Cup Final. It’s a load of bollocks.

Pmsl.

Assume this article was written from a chat over a pint.

Distrust pens and anyone that can use them.

:lol: What a fat welsh doylum.

I love those "opinion from someone who has fuck all qualifications to speak on the subject" pieces. Why even print them? It's not like people actually want extra spice in the buildup to Everton v Newcastle, nobody cares.

Well I enjoyed reading it if only for the generous comments about playing in front of the geordies. I also agreed with the stuff he said about pardew mind, but that's down to opinion.

I love those "opinion from someone who has fuck all qualifications to speak on the subject" pieces. Why even print them? It's not like people actually want extra spice in the buildup to Everton v Newcastle, nobody cares.

He's got more qualification than anyone on here , yet it doesn't stop us week in week out with the same old same old though does it?

He's got more qualification than anyone on here , yet it doesn't stop us week in week out with the same old same old though does it?

Well if someone wants to put our waffle on a major bookmakers' website then great. Can't see it personally.

It's not down to opinion whether Pardew was making excuses before the Man City game had even started.  Those quotes would be easily found if they existed.  As it is, the only pre-game quote i can find is...

“What I can confirm, on the eve of a game, is we’ve had a bid for one of the players which we don’t think is acceptable,” said Pardew.  “Therefore I have to pick a team that I think is going to get a result. The rights or wrongs of that bid I will leave others to think about – but I know what I think of it.”

He definitely blamed the Cabaye situation afterwards, but I think Southall is inaccurate with his view of when those excuses were made.

Well if someone wants to put our waffle on a major bookmakers' website then great. Can't see it personally.

:lol: That would be funny.

Southall, fwiw, is a top bloke. Both through personal experience and from what others have told me, he always has time for you. Also happened to be a bloody brilliant goalkeeper.

That blog seems pretty much spot-on, at least going off all the comments I read on here re: Pardew, and what I hear from the man himself.

http://nbcprosoccertalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/llorisavb.png

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jose+Mourinho+Chelsea+v+Hull+City+Premier+YrXWm0NjJxyl.jpg

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01819/Moyes_1819328c.jpg

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000EYHFYF1dwAk/s/860/860/130824-039-Aston-Villa-Liverpool.jpg

Divvies

Great managers not only write notes but also make excuses regularly as well; I don't have any problem with that. The difference between them and Pards is that behind their excuses they are working to (and able to) rectify the problems with the team. I have to agree though that the 'article' looks like it was dictated in a pub over a pint. Typical betting-site-advisor chatter.