Alan Pardew

Mike

I'm not a fan of Pardew, however, I really don't think sacking him at this time would be the right move. I would just foresee another average manager being appointed with average to poor results following an initial burst of false optimism.

The primary problem for me is Ashley and the environment he creates for his managers to operate in. From bringing in Joe Kinnear (twice), to Dennis Wise, to two disappointing summers in the transfer market, to failing to connect with and understand the supporters........I just think Ashley is a man who doesn't understand football, doesn't understand the fans, and either doesn't have good people around him to advise on football matters or is too arrogant to listen to those people he appoints to deal with the running of the club.

Bringing in Wise was a horrible idea. Bringing in Kinnear was a horrible idea. Whether or not behind the scenes these relationships are actually bearing some fruit (in our case I heavily doubt it), at the very least, in British football, such appointments always lead to bad PR for the club, awkward questions for the manager and surely puts doubt in the mind of players and managers (both current players and potential future signings/managers) as to whether they would want to be a part of a club that has an air of unpredictability and division about it.

Until Ashley shows a bit more leadership quality, an ability to promote Newcastle as a club that is very much together from the chairman to the manager to the players to the fans........then I just think this environment is simply going to lead to one failed manager after another. For the last 10 years we've been in the main a bottom half of the table club, and have even been relegated.........our problems are longstanding and certainly don't begin and end with Alan Pardew.

Agree for the most part. Mike Ashley is the main problem.

I'm not a fan of Pardew, however, I really don't think sacking him at this time would be the right move. I would just foresee another average manager being appointed with average to poor results following an initial burst of false optimism.

The primary problem for me is Ashley and the environment he creates for his managers to operate in. From bringing in Joe Kinnear (twice), to Dennis Wise, to two disappointing summers in the transfer market, to failing to connect with and understand the supporters........I just think Ashley is a man who doesn't understand football, doesn't understand the fans, and either doesn't have good people around him to advise on football matters or is too arrogant to listen to those people he appoints to deal with the running of the club.

Bringing in Wise was a horrible idea. Bringing in Kinnear was a horrible idea. Whether or not behind the scenes these relationships are actually bearing some fruit (in our case I heavily doubt it), at the very least, in British football, such appointments always lead to bad PR for the club, awkward questions for the manager and surely puts doubt in the mind of players and managers (both current players and potential future signings/managers) as to whether they would want to be a part of a club that has an air of unpredictability and division about it.

Until Ashley shows a bit more leadership quality, an ability to promote Newcastle as a club that is very much together from the chairman to the manager to the players to the fans........then I just think this environment is simply going to lead to one failed manager after another. For the last 10 years we've been in the main a bottom half of the table club, and have even been relegated.........our problems are longstanding and certainly don't begin and end with Alan Pardew.

Aye, Pardew is a symptom, Ashley is the disease. Canning Pardew for the most part is akin to sticking a plaster on it, it'll work for now but won't make it go away.

Cut the cancer out at the root and it'll all get better!

Guest firetotheworks

Aye, Pardew is a symptom, Ashley is the disease. Canning Pardew for the most part is akin to sticking a plaster on it, it'll work for now but won't make it go away.

Who sticks a plaster on cancer, like?

Well, yes.

It's not that simple, unfortunately - this particular cancer has got a firm grip on the body of the patient and it is going to take some as yet unknown cure to rectify this before the patient eventually expires.

Unfortunately, those who profess to love the patient still think that a watch and see policy will help, but all that is doing is to allow the cancer to strengthen its grip..!

Unless a new cure materialises suddenly and quickly, it is hard to see how the patient will recover......

i don't think the effects of a European campain are as immediate as losing on a Sunday following a game on Thursday. Has anyone actually compared the proportion of points clubs win in the game following a euro fixture compared with their overall season average, to see if there is a drop off that obvious, rather than this sort of anecdotal "Swansea lost but Wigan won" sort of gubbins? ?

I looked at the effect on overall seasons since the Europa began and the the trend is for a worse performance, but it is almost insignificant when when you remove Newcastle from the data.

Average positions lost - 1.6

Average positions lost without NUFC skew - 0.8

Average points lost - 2.25

Average points lost without NUFC skew - 0.27

I also wondered what happened when you remove teams like Man City, Spurs and Liverpool who have the set-up to cope with a europa league campaign.  What's the trend for the likes of Stoke Fulham, Villa and Everton with/without NUFC?

Average positions lost - 3.4

Average positions lost without NUFC skew - 2.2

Average points lost - 6.4

Average points lost without NUFC skew - 3.5

Cleary there is a more pronounced drop in performance levels among the teams that can't afford the investment to maintain standards during a Euro campaign, but Newcastle have been by far the worst contributor to that trend.

You're assuming these points dropped have occurred because of the European campaign. More likely these teams dropped back to their normal levels after having a good campaign the year before, or they had changes in managers and players. I would argue that those other factors far outweigh any potential negative effect of a European campaign. If you had a big enough sample size and did a regression, you wouldn't find anything that is statistically significant, I'm certain.

A better analysis would be if you actually looked at total matches played in a season. I'm sure a match in Europe isn't significantly more tiring than a league cup match, so teams which have extended cup runs domestically should also suffer from this, assuming your theory is correct.

You're assuming these points dropped have occurred because of the European campaign. More likely these teams dropped back to their normal levels after having a good campaign the year before, or they had changes in managers and players. I would argue that those other factors far outweigh any potential negative effect of a European campaign. If you had a big enough sample size and did a regression, you wouldn't find anything that is statistically significant, I'm certain.

Well this is just pure assumption though. Common sense seems to suggest that flying round the world, having less time to prepare, and playing extra games would make for a tougher season.

It's not an excuse for how badly we did, but I don't understand why people spend so long denying that the effect exists.

There are also other factors such as successful cup runs negating the importance of league positions, like Fulham resting players for their league matches during their run. We on the other hand rested loads of players in Europe but still suffered in the league. Look at the amount of time our best players actually played in Europe and compare it to a team that has a normal domestic cup run and you won't find much difference.

Absolutely, correlation is not necessarilly causation.  There are a multitude of factors on how a season goes for a club.  However, I think clubs tend to make the same sorts of mistakes, either not investing at all or spending too high on mercenary players or keeping a manager on for too long based on the finish he achieved the season prior.  that sort of thing.

Well this is just pure assumption though. Common sense seems to suggest that flying round the world, having less time to prepare, and playing extra games would make for a tougher season.

It's not an excuse for how badly we did, but I don't understand why people spend so long denying that the effect exists.

Our best players didn't play, though. Flying all around the world? You mean a three hour flight instead of a three hour bus ride?

Having less time to prepare? Same applies to teams that have domestic cup runs.