Alan Pardew

Mike

Whatever credit he deserved for a really good first half and team selection was erased by that pathetic performance after the break.

If you defend that deep for 45 minutes you will either lose or get lucky. The latter happened today. I expect a lot better in terms of making adjustments and keeping the team competitive for a full 90.

There have been plenty of instances where Pardew has undeservedly gotten 100% of the blame when the players show no effort or ability in a loss. This is an instance where the result flattered him. Just cowardly in the second half.

At least he had them right up for it from the start today, though you would think that was a basic managerial requirement. Our workrate was much improved.

His changes were justified as well, so a good day for him.

Jonas for remy man! If you're gonna bring Jonas on for anyone surely it should be for cisse

Sorry mate, meant initial changes in team selection.

Seems Remy was injured, according to the commentary.

Guest bimpy474

West Ham

Morecambe

Fulham

Villa

Hull

Leeds

Everton

Cardiff

8 games for Pardew to be judged on.  Could be gone by Halloween if it goes badly, and would have NO excuses about the quality of opposition.

W5 D1 L2

Probably one loss too many from those games.  But not the catastrophe some feared.

If you're including league cup games then you're a joke, a complete joke.

I was getting wrong off people for leaving them out earlier in the thread  :lol:

I judge by the League, it's our bread and butter imo. As much as i love a cup run it can skew things like this because you play much weaker opposition at times.

This win just papered over the cracks. The first half was good, we were looking really well and have done a few times this season, but that's not the problem. The problem is how Pardew handles games when we're winning at half time. The negativity on the pitch nearly cost us the win. We should have went out and killed them off but didn't. The game was crying out for Anita and Ben Arfa early in the 2nd half and it never happened. It's an away win and a very important one, but the next few fixtures are worrying.

It sounds ridiculous to say in the context and I can't believe I am, but I almost feel like I can't enjoy this win as much after Pardew's tactics in the second half.

The worst thing is, after seeing his post-match interview now where he's saying we need resilience under pressure, I feel as if he might think that those tactics worked and we were able to see the game out, when in reality we gave up control of the game, gave them free reign to come back into it and take the initiative back.

For what it's worth, goals aside I didn't think we were that good in the first half either. Too many aimless balls forward, not settled enough or enough control of the ball.

God, this is the most depressive post I've ever made. :lol:

Guest bimpy474

This win just papered over the cracks. The first half was good, we were looking really well and have done a few times this season, but that's not the problem. The problem is how Pardew handles games when we're winning at half time. The negativity on the pitch nearly cost us the win. We should have went out and killed them off but didn't. The game was crying out for Anita and Ben Arfa early in the 2nd half and it never happened. It's an away win and a very important one, but the next few fixtures are worrying.

It's how long he reacts when were under pressure, and when he does it's a poor sub. He just doesn't seem to know anything other than hold on. I cant wait for Shola to come back. You can see that sub a mile off when he does.

I struggle to comprehend his in-game thought-processes.

High-pressure attacking footballing in the first half yields 2 goals and an utterly toothless Cardiff attack. Sit back and defend in the second half almost loses us the 3 points. Same story nearly every week.

Yay! You may well be right, but that just earned me a whisky.

Oh, and there is no way you can argue we sat back when we came out for the second half. That's just nonsense.

We ended up sitting back once they scored though, and we did it really badly. They were charging through our midfield without much resistance and swinging in crosses without much pressure either. Luckily none of them looked like they knew where the goal was so we weren't really punished.

I struggle to comprehend his in-game thought-processes.

High-pressure attacking footballing in the first half yields 2 goals and an utterly toothless Cardiff attack. Sit back and defend in the second half almost loses us the 3 points. Same story nearly every week.

How wrong is it that when we're 2-0 up away from home at half-time, the most predictable result is Cardiff to get at least a draw?

West Ham

Morecambe

Fulham

Villa

Hull

Leeds

Everton

Cardiff

8 games for Pardew to be judged on.  Could be gone by Halloween if it goes badly, and would have NO excuses about the quality of opposition.

W5 D1 L2

Probably one loss too many from those games.  But not the catastrophe some feared.

I was getting wrong off people for leaving them out earlier in the thread  :lol:

I judge by the League, it's our bread and butter imo. As much as i love a cup run it can skew things like this because you play much weaker opposition at times.

Aye.  Top Half.  That'll do.

West Ham

Morecambe

Fulham

Villa

Hull

Leeds

Everton

Cardiff

W5 D1 L2

It's a fucking joke.  Morecambe ffs, good job.  Why not stick in a few pre-season friendlies while you're at it.

Remember this?

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/687/0by3.jpg

Or this?

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3533/t73k.jpg

Or this?

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2899/gamm.jpg

Or this?

http://www.nufc.co.uk/javaImages/e8/c9/0,,10278~9030120,00.jpg

And you're spouting off because we have a less than 50% win record in the PL?  You're crowing because we hung on for a win against the mighty Cardiff city?  You're including Morecambe and Leeds in your list of winnable games?

Sorry, I expect better.

Oh, and there is no way you can argue we sat back when we came out for the second half. That's just nonsense.

We ended up sitting back once they scored though, and we did it really badly. They were charging through our midfield without much resistance and swinging in crosses without much pressure either. Luckily none of them looked like they knew where the goal was so we weren't really punished.

They got their peckers up and we lost our composure.

It's not great, I agree, but my point was we didn't come out looking to be defensive in the second half. We were trying to score again and if we got the 3rd rather than them it could have been hella different.

People really view things differently in terms of what constitutes sitting back and and what it is to be pinned back.

I tend to think it was 20 minutes of the latter with Mutch causing us big problems after we initially came out full of pressing, same as the first half.

They got their peckers up and we lost our composure.

It's not great, I agree, but my point was we didn't come out looking to be defensive in the second half. We were trying to score again and if we got the 3rd rather than them it could have been hella different.

I don't want to rag too much about it in any case. I'm far from convinced after that 2nd half, but a win's a win, let's just enjoy it.

West Ham

Morecambe

Fulham

Villa

Hull

Leeds

Everton

Cardiff

W5 D1 L2

cant include the wins when judging him man ffs.

People really view things differently in terms of what constitutes sitting back and and what it is to be pinned back.

I tend to think it was 20 minutes of the latter with Mutch causing us big problems after we initially came out full of pressing, same as the first half.

Doesn't it concern you we totally lose our shape in the second half and we dropped too deep which created the space for Mutch?

I like your optimism but tactically the second half wasn't great from our point of view and it's hardly the first time it's happened under Pardew.

Guest bimpy474

West Ham

Morecambe

Fulham

Villa

Hull

Leeds

Everton

Cardiff

W5 D1 L2

Aye.  Top Half.  That'll do.

Not sure that'll be the case after Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea etc. Hope so but i can't see it myself.

Not sure that'll be the case after Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea etc. Hope so but i can't see it myself.

I'm not sure it will be the case after all of the weekends games are played.

Doesn't it concern you we totally lose our shape in the second half and we dropped too deep which created the space for Mutch?

I like your optimism but tactically the second half wasn't great from our point of view and it's hardly the first time it's happened under Pardew.

Aye, it was nail biting shit.  Not sure we particularly "lost" our shape.  We basically played with 2 at the back first half  :laugh:

People want the moon 0n a stick though, they want attractive attacking football with wing backs bombing forwards and creating chance after chance...but they also want a solid back line of 4 keeping shape and concentration avoiding any gaps leading to mistakes.  Bayern Munich can pull that off, but I think it asks a lot of Mike Williamson et al.

I'm not sure it will be the case after all of the weekends games are played.

Mackems doing their bit against Man U  :D

Aye, it was nail biting s***.  Not sure we particularly "lost" our shape.  We basically played with 2 at the back first half  :laugh:

People want the moon 0n a stick though, they want attractive attacking football with wing backs bombing forwards and creating chance after chance...but they also want a solid back line of 4 keeping shape and concentration avoiding any gaps leading to mistakes.  Bayern Munich can pull that off, but I think it asks a lot of Mike Williamson et al.

:lol:

Aye, it was nail biting s***.  Not sure we particularly "lost" our shape.  We basically played with 2 at the back first half  :laugh:

I'm sorry but a "footballer" playing at the highest level of the English game should be capable with the ball at his feet. FFS some keepers are better with the ball at their feet than Williamson is, this is a big issue and the fact it hasn't improved throughout his time here really points at a lack of quality coaching.

And we did have shape in the first half, the shape was very aggressive due to us playing in that manner. We got tight in the first half, we pressed well high up the pitch in the first half we looked like a team in the first half.

If the drop off doesn't concern you then I'll leave you in blissful ignorance sir.

I'm sorry but a "footballer" playing at the highest level of the English game should be capable with the ball at his feet. FFS some keepers are better with the ball at their feet than Williamson is, this is a big issue and the fact it hasn't improved throughout his time here really points at a lack of quality coaching.

And we did have shape in the first half, the shape was very aggressive due to us playing in that manner. We got tight in the first half, we pressed well high up the pitch in the first half we looked like a team in the first half.

If the drop off doesn't concern you then I'll leave you in blissful ignorance sir.

How do you think Cardiff's performance changed second half in comparison to the first?

Guest icemanblue

Unpopular selection and substitutes that ultimately paid off. Yes, we sat back too much after their goal, but I can only think of one clear cut chance after that. Tiote played well, and we didn't miss Hatem that much in terms of creating chances. Not a great deal to complain about tonight.