Alan Pardew

Mike

If you took Ian/Inochi/Brett away from the forum then I'd pay £20 a year to frequent it.

I've found myself agreeing with them on a lot of things at different times about players tbf, but on this manager I'm a million miles away. It's one thing to remain positive and look at all angles, but sometimes you just have to take a longer term view and think about how you can make progress as a football team on the pitch, since there's not a lot we can do about what goes on off it.

Shola Ameobi and Obertan getting minutes over HBA? Come on.

Especially when the logic doesn't make sense. Obertan was brought on over HBA to help protect the left side and it actually ended up weakening us.

In that instance, there was literally no excuse for not bringing on Ben Arfa.

there was like, personally I'd have brought colo on and tried to push the full backs on 10yds or so especially as they caught santon loads with the ball played inside him.

really can't see any reason FOR bringing ben arfa on last weekend.

If you took Ian/Inochi/Brett away from the forum then I'd pay £20 a year to frequent it.

I've found myself agreeing with them on a lot of things at different times about players tbf, but on this manager I'm a million miles away. It's one thing to remain positive and look at all angles, but sometimes you just have to take a longer term view and think about how you can make progress as a football team on the pitch, since there's not a lot we can do about what goes on off it.

No hard feelings on that score. Would I swap Pardew for a better manager? Obviously I would, that goes without saying really. I'm just inclined to support him while he's here and I think we've kind of talked ourselves into a paranoid delusion that he's Satan or something. He's also suffered from being involved with a regime that everyone hates. A lot of the stuff he says/does is absolutely standard managerial waffle or fans having a different opinion to the pros type stuff IMO. 

Anyway, it's a Tuesday night, all is good in the world.

Especially when the logic doesn't make sense. Obertan was brought on over HBA to help protect the left side and it actually ended up weakening us.

there was like, personally I'd have brought colo on and tried to push the full backs on 10yds or so especially as they caught santon loads with the ball played inside him.

When you have a team pushing forward and leaving lots of space to exploit behind, I would think a player like ben Arfa would certainly be worth considering as part of the mix. Not that Obertan did badly mind. He did ok for what was expected of him on the day.

When you have a team pushing forwards and leaving lots of space to exploit behind, I would think a player like ben Arfa would certainly be worth considering as part of the mix.

they didn't really leave a load of space for a ben arfa type player to exploit, that would call for movement and someone to work along the line or at least someone to work off the ball. not ben arfas strong points

No hard feelings on that score. Would I swap Pardew for a better manager? Obviously I would, that goes without saying really. I'm just inclined to support him while he's here and I think we've kind of talked ourselves into a paranoid delusion that he's Satan or something. He's also suffered from being involved with a regime that everyone hates. A lot of the stuff he says/does is absolutely standard managerial waffle or fans having a different opinion to the pros type stuff IMO. 

He hasn't suffered from being involved with a regime everyone hates. He's here because of that regime and in full support of it. The regime is what it is and the only question you can ask then is, has he been given the tools necessary to do the job required? I'll bet there are plenty of clubs in the premier who would swap squads with him in a heartbeat.

When you have a team pushing forwards and leaving lots of space to exploit behind, I would think a player like ben Arfa would certainly be worth considering as part of the mix.

they didn't really leave a load of space for a ben arfa type player to exploit, that would call for movement and someone to work along the line or at least someone to work off the ball. not ben arfas strong points

If a team is pressing forward for an equaliser there is always space behind to exploit. Why would you need someone to work along the line to do that? You just put someone with some pace and ability to run at a stretched back four and an eye for goal. Get one of the other 11 to cover the lines.

If a team is pressing forward for an equaliser there is always space behind to exploit. Why would you need someone to work along the line to do that? You just put someone with some pace and ability to run at a stretched back four and an eye for goal. Get one of the other 11 to cover the lines.

because if you just keep lobbing the ball over in the hope that that player will get to it first it will more often than not come straight back at you, far better try and play it for possession and in that scenario ben arfa isn't what you need.

because if you just keep lobbing the ball over in the hope that that player will get to it first it will more often than not come straight back at you, far better try and play it for possession and in that scenario ben arfa isn't what you need.

Why do you need to lob it in the first place? I can remember when we last finished in a CL place one of our best outlets was Solano who used to pick the ball up from deep defensive positions then thread the ball through to Dyer who broke forward at pace in loads of space to exploit against the opposition who were pressing forward.

Why do you need to lob it in the first place? I can remember when we last finished in a CL place one of our best outlets was Solano who used to pick the ball up from deep defensive positions then thread the ball through to Dyer who broke forward at pace in loads of space to exploit against the opposition who were pressing forward.

dyers (and solanos) movement was far superior to ben arfas, more of it and much more intelligent. ball at their feet, good as they were ben afa would murder them but doing the basics to get the ball in that situation I just don't think he'd be good enough at it.

oh aye, and usually that was when we were chasing the game rather than the oppo chasing the game. at that time I was quite happy going in to the last 15 level or trailing by one as we had the legs to do anyone, as a team we don't now.

dyers (and solanos) movement was far superior to ben arfas, more of it and much more intelligent. ball at their feet, good as they were ben afa would murder them but doing the basics to get the ball in that situation I just don't think he'd be good enough at it.

oh aye, and usually that was when we were chasing the game rather than the oppo chasing the game. at that time I was quite happy going in to the last 15 level or trailing by one as we had the legs to do anyone, as a team we don't now.

Beardsley at his best is a better comparison - I agree with you that Solano, esp, was more effective and better team player but he didn't have the skill that Beardsley had in a one against one situation.

Beardsley was a better player than HBA at his best - could beat a man, score fantastic goals and definitely had more awareness of the early, devastating pass...think about how many goals he created for Andy Cole in 93-94.....

against villa away was HBA not carrying the ball halfway up the pitch on his own when he had space to run at?  seem to recall that happening - he struggles when he's crowded out, against spurs i don't think he would have been

sissoko had the legs to support him...that would have been the sub for me instead of obertan, get hba running with the ball vs their full back and sissoko tasked with supporting him to take the pass / drag defenders out of his way so he's got a one on one - the rest of the team set up to make this a viable attacking option and keep shape

but these are things you have to work on in training with a clear goal about what you're trying to achieve, it has to be drilled into them, it's very clear that we just don't do that so let's stick obertan on instead 'cause he's dead fast and that

I've just watched the games he's managed, and think he's shit.

The reason I mentioned Solano is because without someone who could keep his head and play the ball out from defensive positions, Dyer would have looked pretty much a passenger as well. That's where the problem lies, we don't do that strategically, because as has been mentioned by mrmojorisin, we aren't coached that way. Our set up is still most effective when we hit the ball long from the back, and in that scenario HBA isn't going to look good, and you can understand why Pardew prefers Obertan.

Guest firetotheworks

I've just watched the games he's managed, and think he's s***.

Can we just move on please? A small amount of us don't want to go over the same things again.

Can we just move on please? A small amount of us don't want to go over the same things again.

Posters on here know where pretty much everyone stands, so don't know why it keeps going around in circles. Nobody actually thinks Pardew's a very good manager or is the man to take us to the next level. It's just the levels of tolerance for Pardew in which people differ.

Posters on here know where pretty much everyone stands, so don't know why it keeps going around in circles. Nobody actually thinks Pardew's a very good manager or is the man to take us to the next level. It's just the levels of tolerance for Pardew in which people differ.

For the precise reason its a message board where people discuss their views on NUFC. I could say the same about any number of topics. I find it incredibly annoying people trying to tell people what they are allowed to talk about.

Pardew hater...wants to keep hating  :pow:

Guest firetotheworks

Couldn't agree more. Everyone on here knows exactly what every single other person on here thinks about Pardew, so for that reason I want every person on here to just stop talking about it. We get it...Pardew isn't very good!....but is he? I say "maybe"

Couldn't agree more. Everyone on here knows exactly what every single other person on here thinks about Pardew, so for that reason I want every person on here just stop talking about it. We get it...Pardew isn't very good!....but is he? I say "maybe"

I thought you didn't want us to talk about it? :lol: