Alan Pardew

Mike

It's not a crap excuse when it's true, I was watching him against Hull and nobody moved when he had the ball.  It was as if they were expecting him to do everything on his own.  Our movement has been better recently, he hasn't been in the team to benefit from it though.

thank f*** someone else sees it :lol:

i also agree with madras that he doesn't get his head up enough but i think on both sides (his and the other players) they've sort of both got into the rut of him having to do it all on his own or something - there could also be the element of pardew's risk analysis, i.e. he might be telling players to stand their ground was HBA has the ball because he's brilliant but more of a risk and turns over possession more often, not sure

go back and watch the compilations of him playing in france and look how many times he's on the ball picking lush passes for players making runs in behind the defence, it's been conditioned out of him after 2 years of playing in a real life fussball team...needs conditioning back into them all through proper training

again I disagree, for all he is a fantastic talent he seems to lack some football intelligence, how many times have you screamed at him for hitting the right touch line and trying to keep it in instead of just cutting it back ? or for trying to go when a simple pass back to retain possession was on, re watch the sunderland game and watch how many times he gets the ball and instead of keeping it moving takes the time to get crowded out, he brings it on himself many times. he's got to mix it up, it makes it much easier for the opposition if they know he's going to run at them at every opportunity.

again I disagree, for all he is a fantastic talent he seems to lack some football intelligence, how many times have you screamed at him for hitting the right touch line and trying to keep it in instead of just cutting it back ? or for trying to go when a simple pass back to retain possession was on, re watch the sunderland game and watch how many times he gets the ball and instead of keeping it moving takes the time to get crowded out, he brings it on himself many times. he's got to mix it up, it makes it much easier for the opposition if they know he's going to run at them at every opportunity.

i'll agree with you to a point but again with respect to the highlighted part - in the vast majority of games i've seen him play "mixing it up" could only entail passing it backwards then waiting for it to come back...he's still faced with the same problem when it comes back to him 'cause no-one makes runs off the ball when he's got it

it's same issue we have with the following, do you believe it's only the individual, the tactics/coaching, or a combination:

debuchy being terrible since he signed, not being able to mark players and committing crazy fouls

cisse being neither able to stay onside nor score goals, nor even get in opportunities to score anymore

tiote's outright woefulness until recently

a few examples, there are more i just don't have time

all of them, including HBA's issues in an attacking sense have roots in both the players deficiencies but also in the tactics and coaching imo...personally i believe all of it, especially what you mention above with HBA, could and should be coached out on the training ground and probably would be if we had better staff in key positions

Could be a fair summary to say that HBA is the most talented player we've had at SJP for many a year, but Pardew was right to leave him out of the last two matches (QED), and he will still have a significant impact and role to play over the rest of the season.

i'll agree with you to a point but again with respect to the highlighted part - in the vast majority of games i've seen him play "mixing it up" could only entail passing it backwards then waiting for it to come back...he's still faced with the same problem when it comes back to him 'cause no-one makes runs off the ball when he's got it

it's same issue we have with the following, do you believe it's only the individual, the tactics/coaching, or a combination:

debuchy being terrible since he signed, not being able to mark players and committing crazy fouls

cisse being neither able to stay onside nor score goals, nor even get in opportunities to score anymore

tiote's outright woefulness until recently

a few examples, there are more i just don't have time

all of them, including HBA's issues in an attacking sense have roots in both the players deficiencies but also in the tactics and coaching imo...personally i believe all of it, especially what you mention above with HBA, could and should be coached out on the training ground and probably would be if we had better staff in key positions

part of the problem is if he gives it back his movement to get a return or even pull the opposition out of shape is poor, poor movement and the opposition knowing what you are going to do massively cut down on his effectiveness.

for your other examples if debuchy and tiotes form were the fault of pardew then surely their recent resurgance must be down to him aswell ?

for your other examples if debuchy and tiotes form were the fault of pardew then surely their recent resurgance must be down to him aswell ?

i didn't say any of it was exclusively the fault of pardew man, i don't think it works like that, just like HBA looking shit in certain games isn't always 100% down to HBA

apart from a select few players in the world they all have deficiencies to their game, the managers job is to mitigate these deficiencies through coaching, training and tactics so i do credit pardew with an influence on the improved form of debuchy & tiote in exactly the same way i felt he was largely at fault for not protecting them when they needed it

as i've stated i agree that in the hull game, for example, HBA looked off the pace but he wasn't helped by the lack of movement around him and pardew's failure to adapt to bruce's tactical changes - pardew followed this up by shunting him around the pitch to the point where he was played as a fucking forward...what's that going to do to the lads confidence like?

It's not always Pards fault. Gifted players have always had drastic downturns in form..It's the nature of the beast. You have to handle it and get it ready for when the voodoo returns.

Voodoo? You sure that'll help?

i didn't say any of it was exclusively the fault of pardew man, i don't think it works like that, just like HBA looking shit in certain games isn't always 100% down to HBA

apart from a select few players in the world they all have deficiencies to their game, the managers job is to mitigate these deficiencies through coaching, training and tactics so i do credit pardew with an influence on the improved form of debuchy & tiote in exactly the same way i felt he was largely at fault for not protecting them when they needed it

as i've stated i agree that in the hull game, for example, HBA looked off the pace but he wasn't helped by the lack of movement around him and pardew's failure to adapt to bruce's tactical changes - pardew followed this up by shunting him around the pitch to the point where he was played as a fucking forward...what's that going to do to the lads confidence like?

Another fantastic post. It's a bit of the chicken and egg situation developing with HBA. Does he hold onto the ball too long because there's no movement around him, or is there no movement around him because he holds onto the ball too long? You could make a case for either really, but what I have seen is that when a forward makes a run into space, Ben Arfa can deliver some real defence splitting passes. I know he must be frustrating to work with, but I don't think Pardew is the sort of coach wh will get much movement going in the side to get him releasing the ball earlier. Ben Arfa's usual role is to produce a bit of magic from nowhere so it's not really surprising he's not seen much as a team player.

• 2 weeks later...

How many fucking games is it going to take before shitface finally realizes you cannot sit back and defend a 1 or 2 goal lead. Certainly not in the premier league and with the players we have.

Again we succeed in spite of his cower dead ad incompetence.