Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

People are forgetting that Ray Wilkins is batshit mental.

It's not really a crazy line up though, tbf. Garth Crooks would probably have Rooney in ahead of Gazza and James Morrison in ahead of Paul Ince at left back.

Garth Crooks is a different level of mental though. Only a couple of weeks ago he had Troy Deeney as a defensive midfielder.

http://e1.365dm.com/16/03/768x432/ray-wilkins-euro-96-england-euro-2016_3436106.jpg?20160323121030

It'd be interesting to spend time with Wilkins, getting him to explain that selection.

Ince wasn't that great, but Alli for Platt is bold.

Wilshere is exceptional, but along with a lot of young Arsenal players, he's struggled for fitness. Along with Ox-C, Ramsey and Walcott, you wonder whether Wenger, with his youth policy, over-plays them at this high level at too young an age, and they end up with problems.

Alli for Platt is bold when Platt wasn't even in the Euro 96 side [emoji38]

Good back four and keeper but not sure wtf he is on with Alli and Dier.

Can't get over Alli's immensley punchable face..

Ince and Platt above those two.

I like Wilshere (think I'm in the minority)

You can't get over Alli's punchable face so you pick Ince? I think that's called cognitive dissonance :lol:.

Alli and Dier could each do a job for England, but you'd have to build a team that works as a team. It's the age-old problem - do you pick the eleven best players or do you look at who's available and craft a style that fits as many as possible? Either way, the press and some fans will be pissed off.

I've said this before - Alli has been effective for us because he's been given a fair bit of freedom. Even so, many Spurs fans are frustrated with him and wouldn't actually have him in their first team. I would, because you can afford one player who just runs about a lot and pops up with crucial goals and assists. You just have to recognize that he's still a kid. He's incredibly fit, pretty strong, and skilful; just inconsistent - gives the ball away a lot, flits in and out of the game a bit.

Dier has surprised all of us - we were desperate for a DM in the Summer and Poch/Levy got a lot of stick for us ending up with Dier. He really has been a revelation...but the proviso is that he's got a fairly simple job. He's asked to sit in front of the defence for the most part, then when we get the ball he drops back to let the full-backs push on. He's bloody good at that job. If you ask him to do that for England then fair enough, and he's going to look pretty good. If you ask him to do anything else in midfield then you're asking for trouble. One big point in his favour when you're looking at a tournament is that he can do a job at DM, CB and RB.

UEFA is in talks with clubs to change the format of the Champions League from 2018.

One of the proposals under discussion is an expanded knockout round followed by a group stage made up of eight teams in two groups.

If the proposal were to be adopted there would be more games between the so-called 'big clubs'. Each team in the group stage would be guaranteed a total of 14 matches home and away.

The format would also allow more clubs from Europe's biggest leagues to qualify for the competition. AC Milan, who have won the European Cup seven times, have not played in the Champions League since 2014 and current Premier League champions Chelsea are likely to miss out next season.

:dowie:

UEFA is in talks with clubs to change the format of the Champions League from 2018.

One of the proposals under discussion is an expanded knockout round followed by a group stage made up of eight teams in two groups.

If the proposal were to be adopted there would be more games between the so-called 'big clubs'. Each team in the group stage would be guaranteed a total of 14 matches home and away.

The format would also allow more clubs from Europe's biggest leagues to qualify for the competition. AC Milan, who have won the European Cup seven times, have not played in the Champions League since 2014 and current Premier League champions Chelsea are likely to miss out next season.

:dowie:

Wow, 2 years. What a bummer.

Guest firetotheworks

Don't get the David Platt stuff, he really wasn't all that great, Ince was the better player, definitely. Rob Lee should have been in that squad as well imo. Pedro ahead of Barmby too.

Don't get the David Platt stuff, he really wasn't all that great, Ince was the better player, definitely. Rob Lee should have been in that squad as well imo. Pedro ahead of Barmby too.

Urgh, one of my worst football memories is my sis phoning up during extra time v Belgium in 1990 (she's oblivious to football) and me saying "I'm watching the match, man!" My rant went on to say how shit David Platt was and he shouldn't be in the squad. And then...

Some fucking expert I am. :lol: Live on the phone, man. I fucking hated him in that moment. Scoring a last minute winner, the bastard! It won't even have registered with her, but I still feel that shame.

Still hold an unreasonable grudge against him.

He was a box to box midfielder with a knack of being in the right place at the right time. He wasn't especially good with the ball nor was he especially good winning the ball, I totally agree that Rob Lee was a superior player.

:spit:

The player has to kick him square in the jaw, with all the force he can muster.

He can injure the player diving into his legs like that. Ridiculously dangerous play.