Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

Flicking through the Ronny Gill and looking at the results of their polls.

"What is your verdict on Newcastle United's season so far?"

Excellent - 32.2%

Good - 59.4%

Average - 7.7%

Poor - 0.5%

Terrible - 0.2%

"What is the biggest factor behind Newcastle United's Premier League form this season?"

Lack of key player injuries - 40.5%

Not being in the Europa League - 19.7%

Signing Remy on loan - 14.9%

Alan Pardew's management - 10.7%

Other - 9.2%

Tactics - 2.5%

Luck - 2.4%*

*added this up - someone double check but by my reckoning it only goes to 99.9%

Sad lowering of expectations when nearly a third of those asked think we've had an "excellent" season so far IMO.

2/3s think it's been no more than good though. Don't think that figure's that bad tbh.

It's just when you compare it to only 7.7% saying it's average.  The figure for good is fair, but the figures either side are strange to me.

The 'excellent' could be down to it being compared to pre-season expectations though. JFK, lack of signings, last season's finish. 8th should be par, but a helluva lot of fans were expecting bottom half or a relegation scrap, so can't blame those same people thinking what's happened is 'excellent' in comparison.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I think anyone looking at excellent has to be factoring in away trips (White Hart Lane/Old Trafford etc) & probably beating Chelsea at home too.

For me, excellent would mean that we're still in both cups and still within a tangible distance of the Champions League. Right now, the season feels like it's more-or-less over, as I can't see us going on a 6-game winning streak - a la 11/12 - to put us back in contention for a European spot. And silverware is literally impossible.

Average.

Some people are never happy.

Who can be happy with mid table mediocrity?

At times I think that I'll never be happy unless we've beaten every team we've faced into submission, won the league and cups playing the most beautiful football. Thats what supporters of every sporting club dream of afterall. But again at other times I think I'm just happy supporting this club for as long as it exists, no matter what division, no matter what the crisis at the time is. Football afterall is just something to do on a Saturday afternoon to take you away from the mundane bollocks of every day life.

Perspective and priorities I suppose.

Who can be happy with mid table mediocrity?

Those in 18th, 19th and 20th place?

Breaking into the top group is where we should be aiming for, and we currently are thereabouts, although looking at the table it seems that mid-table mediocrity is currently 8th/9th place, with 10th-20th all in the relegation battle

Guest Roger Kint

Southampton chairman considering his position

Poch could be leaving too if he sticks to his word, he promised he would leave if NC left didnt he?

Guest Roger Kint

Is Cortese the one with the dough or just the chairman?

The owners widow isnt it?

Nah.  Markus Liebherr bought the club and installed Cortese as chairman.  He died in 2010 and his daughter Katherina became owner.

:thup: Was close.