Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

I've heard he has some serious issues. No other reason he would go from playing for Spain to 4th division in a few seasons.

Must be, otherwise it's been an inexplicable fall from grace the last few seasons.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The more football I watch (and I watch a lot) the more I think the importance we give to managers/coaches is a myth. It's all about players!</p>— Gary Lineker (@GaryLineker) <a href="https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/678574446219776000">December 20, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thoughts? I'm not so sure it's players moreso a club and its structure and the environment that fosters. I don't think there's a manager that would come to NUFC that could get us consistently top 8 under Ashley for example. Toxic club. I think any decent PL manager woud do well at a Palace for example. Watford chop and change managers all the time.

What he's said is kind of like saying "a war isn't the generals, it's the soldiers!" I mean, yeah, for certain things it absolutely comes down to the individuals and he's correct. But to diminish or toss out altogether the importance of higher level strategic thinking vs tactical is rubbish.

And I'd agree the philosophy/environment of the club matters too, but that could be fluid as well, with owners changing etc.

Really it's just impossible to pin down how much each contribution matters and it wouldn't be a hard rule anyway.