South American football

Flip

Another absolutely amazing finish to a quartfinal game, this time Atletico Mineiro went through on away goals (agg.3-3) after their goalkeeper saved a penalty in the 93rd minute.

Ridiculous, their name is on the cup IMO.

Getting the rub of the green, can come back from behind and have the 2 highest scorers in the competition with the best player left in it providing them.

I think whoever wins the tie Atletico - Newells will be champions. I'm hoping for a Brazilian team even if I detest Ronaldinho nowadays. They were very lucky to go through though, the amount of saves Victor made was unbelievable. I still believe Corinthians was the best team in the competition and got absolutely robbed. You won't find a better organized team and a South American team that can bring Pato off the bench (even if he's shit by European standards) says quite a lot.

Probably true, although Santa Fe have a bit of mild altitude assistance at home. Be cool if Martino won it for Newell's given that he is off at the end of the season. Fear they may stitch themselves by being unable to balance it with their league form given that they're top - normally in Argentina it's very much a case of one or the other due to no squad depth.

I see Pato followed up his miss against Boca with another pearler at the weekend. What's happened to him man?

Probably true, although Santa Fe have a bit of mild altitude assistance at home. Be cool if Martino won it for Newell's given that he is off at the end of the season. Fear they may stitch themselves by being unable to balance it with their league form given that they're top - normally in Argentina it's very much a case of one or the other due to no squad depth.

I see Pato followed up his miss against Boca with another pearler at the weekend. What's happened to him man?

True, they seem to have great support as well.

As for Pato, I don't know, against Boca he came in in the 2nd half and did well but his confidence is shut man. I still think he's capable of scoring quite a lot in Brazil and going back to Europe, was probably one of the best Brazilian players until Zlatan arrived at Milan. Lost completely his footballing IQ as well as injuries killing his confidence. Seems a bit scared at times, but if he can get minutes off the bench for another 3-4 months while they try to figure out how to fix his injury problems I think he might still come back good.

Ouch, big loss for you guys. What are you expecting from Brazil in the Confed cup Felipao? Will they give Spain a good run for their money you think?

Expect development, I expect us to play more like a team, don't know where that will lead us but we have had 45minutes against both Italy and England under Scolari where the opposition have been outplayed in terms of ball possession and chances created. Unfortunately we drop our heads as soon as we concede, it's a psychological thing I believe. I don't think the loss of Damiao will play a big role unless Fred injures himself badly (playing with a fractured rib).

Realistically we could win, but Spain I think is just a couple of levels ahead us unfortunately, I'll be extremely happy with anything going past the group stages for this lot.

You'll be happy going past the group stages, seriously? You should quite comfortably have enough for every team bar possibly Spain I would have said?

We do, but if we get Spain in the semis I don't see us going to the final.

4 games on the bounce in the SA WCQ starting shortly. The big one being Argentina v Colombia in just over two hours.

That's my day sorted. :snod:

Messi crocked.

Still be a good game though.

Saw a fella wearing a Colombia shirt in town earlier n all. Lush top.

Shape stays the same even if personnel drops massively. Montillo ain't so bad if he's not in comparison with Messi and tbf Gago is slumming it at Velez these days, wasted as he is.

Shape stays the same even if personnel drops massively. Montillo ain't so bad if he's not in comparison with Messi and tbf Gago is slumming it at Velez these days, wasted as he is.

True enough, but surely they have better than Montillo? as for Gago i have noticed not to take notice of his club form as for some baffling reason he always turns it on for his country.

Runs the midfield usually and allows Messi to play closer to goal, resulting in the up turn in form for Argentina and Messi in last year or so.

I think they need to find genuine quality cover for the both of them as both are so important to how they play.

True enough, but surely they have better than Montillo? as for Gago i have noticed not to take notice of his club form as for some baffling reason he always turns it on for his country.

Runs the midfield usually and allows Messi to play closer to goal, resulting in the up turn in form for Argentina and Messi in last year or so.

I think they need to find genuine quality cover for the both of them as both are so important to how they play.

Gago, couldn't agree more.

RE: Montillo he has the plays in South America calling card, plus Argentina aren't desperate to win. RE: a total number 10 there aren't that many that play their first but there are way more that should be tried.

Still find it ridiculous how Lamela has 1 cap. Any other country...

I've not seen him enough for Roma to comment but at River he played here, there, everywhere upfront without much support in attacking roles. Either way, any other country he'd not be sitting on 1 cap sweating to get in to a World Cup squad.

I think the ref might have gotten that right because of the sheer stupidity from both. Also Mole, Montillo is an extremely good player, wasted in this side right now, play him behind a striker and he can create magic, one of the best players in South America last year if not the best attacking midfielder.

I think the ref might have gotten that right because of the sheer stupidity from both. Also Mole, Montillo is an extremely good player, wasted in this side right now, play him behind a striker and he can create magic, one of the best players in South America last year if not the best attacking midfielder.

I really shouldn't talk about South American players that are not in Europe :lol:

Fair enough then, my Gago point still stands though  :p

Paraguay seems like they're definitely missing the World Cup, that's a big surprise since they're usually always near the top of the World Cup qualifiers.

They're fucking boring, so good.

Big night in SA qualifying today, especially the Venezuela - Uruguay game. I'd say do or die for Uruguay in terms of qualification. Even if they win its a struggle since they've got to play home games agains the top two and tough away games in Peru and Ecuador.

Probably bring more to the party than Venezuela n all. Not the most attractive team to watch although it was class for their continued development.

Ideally for me Ecuador would drop out of it but I can't see it happening.