South American football

Flip

Seems as good as any thread to ask this question.....

Watching Colombia and seeing the immense talent of Quintero who has seemingly joined Porto reminded me of something.

Does anyone know anything about Hector Herrera?

Didn't know he'd moved (Quintero). Never watched a Mexican league game in my life unfortunately, hopefully one of our North American posters can help you out, as a rule of thumb though it's rare that Porto buy a duffer.

South American Football - Referee beheaded by fans for killing player

There were absolutely horrific scenes at an amateur football match in Brazil when spectators lynched a referee and put his head on a stake after he had killed a player.

The barely believable incident happened in Maranhao, Brazil, last Sunday.

According to reports in Brazil, referee Otavio Jordao da Silva (20) fatally stabbed footballer Josenir dos Santos Abreu (30) during a heated moment of a match.

Santos Abreu is believed to have argued and then struck the referee after being unhappy with a decision.

It is believed the referee was carrying a knife throughout the match and fatally stabbed the player in retaliation.

Santos Abreu was rushed to hospital but died from injuries on the way.

Outraged by the incident, some spectators then apparently decided to inflict a gruesome revenge on the referee.

According to reports, the referee was tied up, beaten, stoned and quartered. They then put his head on a stake and planted it in the middle of the pitch.

One man, Luiz Moraes de Souza, 27, has been arrested over the incident. He has admitted to assaulting the referee but denied killing the man. Police are searching for two more suspects.

They are currently viewing video footage of the incident filmed by a witness with a mobile phone.

In a statement, the regional delegate of Santa Ines, Valter Costa, who is looking after the case, said: "One crime never justifies another crime. Actions likes this do not collaborate with the legality of state law."

Newell just needs to score one. That's all they have to do. Both side's have the equal amount of quality in them, only problem in the first tie is the fact that Atletico tried to park the bus...

Atletico has an ability to score goal so might get interesting after all, but still think Newells and especially being Argentinians won't let this opportunity pass by.

Hopefully they can do it, they did it against Boca but the jump in quality is huge from them to Atletico.

Atletico score early though and the atmosphere will be unreal, should be a good game. Wouldn't want who qualifies it, think the winner will win the final too.

Of course they scored in the 96th minute. :lol: Oh, Brazil.

There was a 10minute delay in the first half because of their goalkeeper receiving treatment and then in the 70th minute the stadium lights in one part went out and the game stopped for another 10-12 minutes. S

Those penalties were terrible, but dear me was the game the exact same as the first tie except reversed roles. Newell played with 11 behind the ball and completely tried to park the bus. Also, I think I fell in love with Bernard last night, what a  player.

Of the Brazilians I think Cafu must have come the closest to win it all. Won everything that is possible to have been won for him. Rivaldo must have come closest to have won the 3 different although he only won one of them.

Of course they scored in the 96th minute. :lol: Oh, Brazil.

There was a 10minute delay in the first half because of their goalkeeper receiving treatment and then in the 70th minute the stadium lights in one part went out and the game stopped for another 10-12 minutes. S

Those penalties were terrible, but dear me was the game the exact same as the first tie except reversed roles. Newell played with 11 behind the ball and completely tried to park the bus. Also, I think I fell in love with Bernard last night, what a  player.

Bernard is great to watch like. I hope when he comes to Europe he ends up going to a Dortmund rather than a Man City type team.