2013 Confederations Cup - Brazil 3 - 0 Spain

ponsaelius

Beating Barcalona requires defensive organisation with good team shape and countering with precision, Spain would be easier beaten, but International teams aren't as settled and as able to hold as good shape, nor have as good understandings to attack as any club team. Spain's players know each other very well, I think Spain's dominance will continue lot longer than Barca's did because of this.

Some international teams might be solid and clinical enough but will many teams have as settled teams?

Disagree.

When Spain play with Alonso, they're tough as hell to break down as they'll have 4 players behind the ball at all times. Spain are better defensively than Barca, have way more depth and are less reliant on an individual (okay the best player of his generation) but this means they are less likely to lose because someone has had an off day.

IMO Spain are better than Barca. They have less glaring weaknesses.

Spain have looked like a killing machine in this tournament. In terms of team play and work rate they are a cut above everybody else. Next years World Cup has got the makings of an absolute classic.

I'd agree if it wasn't for that fact that they were very sloppy yesterday and didn't deserve a 3-0 win and the fact that they've played Tahiti, Nigeria and at the moment only the 7th best team in South America. For me they're the greatest national team in I don't know how many years, but I don't think they're as good now as they were in 2010 or 2012. They're still the best team in the world, but I haven't seen this Spain side be so ineffective and be so sloppy in possession as they've been lately.

There's five national sides at the moment who could all win the world cup in my opinion if Spain keep being as ineffective and sloppy in possession. Spain, Germany, Argentina, Brazil and Italy. (in that order)

Spain have looked like a killing machine in this tournament. In terms of team play and work rate they are a cut above everybody else. Next years World Cup has got the makings of an absolute classic.

I'd agree if it wasn't for that fact that they were very sloppy yesterday and didn't deserve a 3-0 win and the fact that they've played Tahiti, Nigeria and at the moment only the 7th best team in South America. For me they're the greatest national team in I don't know how many years, but I don't think they're as good now as they were in 2010 or 2012. They're still the best team in the world, but I haven't seen this Spain side be so ineffective and be so sloppy in possession as they've been lately.

There's five national sides at the moment who could all win the world cup in my opinion if Spain keep being as ineffective and sloppy in possession. Spain, Germany, Argentina, Brazil and Italy. (in that order)

To be honest I wasn't really commenting on their possession play which may well have deteriorated. They are just working exceptionally hard. I do think there are a number of very capable teams on the world stage now. Like I say next year should be brilliant.

Spain in Brazilian spirit, apparently rumours going around and being confirmed by the investigation that the money that was supposedly stolen from spanish players rooms might have been stolen by women who were invited to a party with the spanish players and then into their rooms. Videotapes confirm that there was presence of women going into the rooms with some of the players.

So if Pique's money was stolen, does that mean he was cheating on Shakira?  :mystery:  :aww:

I'm calling this now but if Spain stick with the 4-3-3 they have used in this tournament and go away from what has been so successful for them with Alonso and Busquets in the pivot they won't win the WC next year.

They look a lot weaker defensively since Alonso got injured and they basically replaced him with Fabregas and moved Busquets back.

I'm calling this now but if Spain stick with the 4-3-3 they have used in this tournament and go away from what has been so successful for them with Alonso and Busquets in the pivot they won't win the WC next year.

They look a lot weaker defensively since Alonso got injured and they basically replaced him with Fabregas and moved Busquets back.

They looked weak defensively last night you mean? Cavani Suarez hardly got a sniff in the first game. It was a beautiful performance all around. So Nigeria created a fair few chances last night but I’d think this was more due to complacency yet they still won 3-0. Still the team to beat for me regardless of the formation. Teams are going to struggle to win if they don't have the ball, they are restricted to quick counters.

I'm sure they'll go back to a double pivot. Even if not Alonso it should be Martinez or Pardo.In his last few seasons at Arsenal, Fabregas really become much more of a Gerrard/Lampard than one of the Spanish masters.

I'm sure they'll go back to a double pivot. Even if not Alonso it should be Martinez or Pardo.In his last few seasons at Arsenal, Fabregas really become much more of a Gerrard/Lampard than one of the Spanish masters.

Yeah if they have any sense they will and agree on Fabregas.

Went out to watch that. Nigeria are awful. Musa is very dangerous but he's all pace.

How anyone could watch that game, and claim Nigeria were awful is beyond me.

Our finishing was in fact worse than awful, but we made the game a worthy spectacle. Thought we played really well, and had just as many chances if not more in fact.

Clown analysis bro.

Went out to watch that. Nigeria are awful. Musa is very dangerous but he's all pace.

Our finishing was in fact worse than awful, but we made the game a worthy spectacle. Thought we played really well, and had just as many chances if not more in fact.

Clown analysis bro.

I agree. I thought you guys played well and for moments you looked as good as Spain. Problem I thought was the mentality of your team, as soon as Spain scored the 2nd you guys were dead mentally, some players weren't running anymore. A big part of football is psychological and even if you're down 2-0 you should never give up and just keep going, integrate it into the culture of the team.

I don't think Spain even got out of second gear last night. They were through, conditions were apparently awful with the heat, you could see the pressing was nowhere near the standard it was against Uruguay, thought Nigeria exploited them with quick breaks in numbers, using the pace of Musa to good effect. They looked decent enough but the end product from them was inexcusable all tournament. Of the tournament so far, i still think Spain are by far the ones that the rest of the contenders need to beat. 

May I also just remind everyone that we had the youngest team at the tournament. Average age just under 23 years old, and we were missing our best goal scorer in Emunike, as well as our best wide player in Moses.

All things considered I am happy with our progress, and really looking forward to next years world cup, once we've hopefully tied up qualification.

Clown analysis bro.

You were brave and entertaining and had a real go at Spain. Still your defence needs to be a lot better as Spain had like 5 players through on goal and could've scored a lot more than 3.

Waiting you see your team in the World Cup as the players are a year older and this must've been a good experience for them.

Harsh.

Clown analysis bro.

Calm down.

The team fought well and a few players (Mikel Obi, Musa, Ambrose, Uwa) were class, but the defence was leaking, Obi had to do the work of three players in the centre, and we lacked simple tachnique going forward. Oboabona is clearly the future, but is still inexperienced and the other guy played hard but clearly isn't good enough. You say the finishing wasn't good enough, but those are the players Keshi made his bed with. He has to deal with that now. I think Moses, Emenike, Ideye, and Musa (as an impact sub) are serious players, but that's only four and injuries happen. That might happen for the next qualifiers and the World Cup (if we make it) too.

May I also just remind everyone that we had the youngest team at the tournament. Average age just under 23 years old, and we were missing our best goal scorer in Emunike, as well as our best wide player in Moses.

All things considered I am happy with our progress, and really looking forward to next years world cup, once we've hopefully tied up qualification.

When has Naija ever not been young? We make a new team every 2-3 years, man, :lol:

Javi Martinez is better than both Busquets and Xabi Alonso, btw. I don't understand how he doesn't get a spot. Mata is a better player than Fabregas or Silva too.

Javi Martinez is better than both Busquets and Xabi Alonso, btw. I don't understand how he doesn't get a spot. Mata is a better player than Fabregas or Silva too.

Debateable.... but anyway the reason he doesn't play is because he doesn't play for Barca and Madrid. Welcome to the world of Spanish national team where its 90% politics and 10% football.