2013 Confederations Cup - Brazil 3 - 0 Spain

ponsaelius

Javi Martinez is an outstanding central midfielder. He and Schweinsteiger together are so much gusta.

I was thinking earlier who wouldbe the perfect DM for Brazil. It didn't take long before I came to the conclusion that Javi Martinez is the guy. Luiz Gustavo does that role of DM/third central defender extremely well, but there's a reason to why Javi Martinez is ahead of him at Bayern. Can't think of anyone other than Martinez who would do that role so good. The way we play the DM needs to be a tall ball winner who is also comfortable on the ball and doesn't make any forward runs.

Fucking Spain man

Javi Martinez is better than both Busquets and Xabi Alonso, btw. I don't understand how he doesn't get a spot. Mata is a better player than Fabregas or Silva too.

Disagree with the first statement nearly as much as I disagree about Brazils strikers being better than Germany and Spain's.

Fabregas has become very underrated recently too.

Javi Martinez is better than both Busquets and Xabi Alonso, btw. I don't understand how he doesn't get a spot. Mata is a better player than Fabregas or Silva too.

Disagree with the first statement nearly as much as I disagree about Brazils strikers being better than Germany and Spain's.

I blame Spain and Barca keeping trying to play him as a fucking striker

TBF the Brazilian strikers are better than Germanys and Spain if you count Neymar as a striker AT THE MOMENT. Fred isn't as bad of a player as a lot of people think and he proved it by absolutely dominating Chiellini the other day.

I'm going to be honest, I only made the first statement as a conversation starter for the rest of you to discuss to my enjoyment.

I'm weak at the knees for big, physical midfielders, I know. It can't be helped at this point. I think Javi Martinez is a more complete player in a vacuum (outside of the Barca-created midfield of Spain) than Busquets and can slide into the same role without much fuss at all.

Fabregas played a very different role in England in Mata, but I still think what the little boy at Chelsea accomplished the past two seasons is above anything Fab did, even at the height of his powers. He hasn't shown that form for three years anyway. I'd echo the sentiment of wanting to see him back in central midfielders. He's not a striker, #10, or a winger despite where he's been playing.

I may be biased, but Busquets is a truly excellent player in his role. Possibly one of the players with best defensive positioning in the planet, one of those players that seems to be everywhere without really having great athleticism. Plus he does everything simple and rarely makes mistakes.

The silver lining about Thiago leaving is that our weakened depth in midfield would make Fàbregas to play there again. Why Spain and Barça play him so much as #10 or even deep striker is a mistery to me. I haven't seen a single good game from him in that position.

Our best football from last season was produced with Fàbregas on the wing, though. When him, Xavi and Iniesta linked up it was :fwap:

I don't know whether it will happen in this tournament or the next, but someone is eventually going to absolutely punish Spain on the counter.

:lol: Starting to think no one saw us beat them.

Or Switzerland.

Both the only two competitive games we've lost since 2008.

I think we'll be fine for a few more years. Xavi and Alonso are the oldest players that need replacement in the short term, and people like Fàbregas or Martínez are more than good enough to take over their roles.

I hate what Barca have done to Fabregas. Love his game. Now he's just a scrub coming off the bench in weird positions. Urgh.

Snap. He should just find the door and walk straight out. I like Thiago, he has balls for trying to do so. First team football, in their favoured position, if Barca can't provide that for them, another club will.

I'm going to be honest, I only made the first statement as a conversation starter for the rest of you to discuss to my enjoyment.

I'm weak at the knees for big, physical midfielders, I know. It can't be helped at this point. I think Javi Martinez is a more complete player in a vacuum (outside of the Barca-created midfield of Spain) than Busquets and can slide into the same role without much fuss at all.

Fabregas played a very different role in England in Mata, but I still think what the little boy at Chelsea accomplished the past two seasons is above anything Fab did, even at the height of his powers. He hasn't shown that form for three years anyway. I'd echo the sentiment of wanting to see him back in central midfielders. He's not a striker, #10, or a winger despite where he's been playing.

Javi Martinez always strikes me as very one paced... Thought he was massively overpriced... Hard to argue against the season he's had though...

I hate what Barca have done to Fabregas. Love his game. Now he's just a scrub coming off the bench in weird positions. Urgh.

Just seen this :lol: what a load of old tosh he starts most of the games.

The problem is Fabregas doesn't have a position in this team.... the AM role he performed so fantastically in for Arsenal doesn't exist and he never has been and never will be a controlling CM in the mould of Xavi.

He just doesn't fit the team.

Javi Martinez is an outstanding central midfielder. He and Schweinsteiger together are so much gusta.

I was thinking earlier who wouldbe the perfect DM for Brazil. It didn't take long before I came to the conclusion that Javi Martinez is the guy. Luiz Gustavo does that role of DM/third central defender extremely well, but there's a reason to why Javi Martinez is ahead of him at Bayern. Can't think of anyone other than Martinez who would do that role so good. The way we play the DM needs to be a tall ball winner who is also comfortable on the ball and doesn't make any forward runs.

f***ing Spain man

Jucilei da Silva?

The problem is Fabregas doesn't have a position in this team.... the AM role he performed so fantastically in for Arsenal doesn't exist and he never has been and never will be a controlling CM in the mould of Xavi.

Disagree with this. He was developing that way for most of his time at Arsenal. Wasn't until the last 2 maybe 3 seasons he was made into Arsenal's Gerrard/Lampard. His game became more about goals and assists rather than controlling the match.

What he brings in that regard is unique for Barca and it's why they won't sell him. He's still only 26. I can see him going further and further back into a more Xavi-like position as time goes on.

Javi Martinez always strikes me as very one paced... Thought he was massively overpriced... Hard to argue against the season he's had though...

If he's one paced, what is Busquets? Or Alonso? Or Xavi?#

IMO Barca should've signed him and stuck him at CB. That's what I thought Song was for.

Martínez was plan A instead of Song, but Bayern outbid us (45 million...).

Personally I think he's a ticking bomb at CB. Never filled me with confidence seeing him play there for Bielsa.

Not sure many CB would thrive under Bielsa tbh. I much prefer him in midfield, can do everything and it'd be a bit wasted at CB, probably end up there later in his career though.

Perfect characterization of FIFA:

Aside from the likes of Neymar voicing support, Romario has posted a YouTube video attacking Fifa as an entity which sets up "a state within a state". (Without wishing to pull up the striker-turned-politician on his political science, the classification isn't perfectly accurate: Fifa is more of a parasite state that seeks a constant supply of host states – or host nations, as it prefers to refer to them. Like the IOC, it is a supranational body which attaches itself to such lesser organisms for its own enrichment, before departing in search of fresh meat.)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jun/26/sepp-blatter-fifa-brazil-world-cup