2013 Confederations Cup - Brazil 3 - 0 Spain

ponsaelius

Guest Craig-NUFC

Who in most peoples opinion ie the better player: Xavi or Pirlo? IMO its fairly clear that Pirlo is a much better player. He actually tries to create things instead of passing sideways all the time. He mightn't get 100% pass completion every game but when you get 100% pass completion is it not obvious that the player is just passing sideways.

Difficult to compare the two. Pirlo hangs around the centre circle dinking long balls, whereas Xavi hangs a few yards off the play in whatever space he can find and looks for the through ball or pass to create space.

I prefer Xavi because I admire his intelligent play, but the things Pirlo do stand out more because his passes and free kicks are more spectacular

Xavi covers far more ground than Pirlo since he uses short passing instead of long range, and this has enabled Pirlo to age better hanging around the midfield line while Xavi has noticed more the decline of his athleticism. Pirlo is probably a bit better right now because of that, but I'd take Xavi in both their primes.

I have a vivid memory of Pilro playing a ridiculous lofted ball onto an AC Milan striker years back in the CL.  He had absolutely no right to attempt it as there was like 4-5 yards of space to aim for, but he somehow managed it and made it look like the sort of thing that should happen every week.  Ever since then, I've loved the handsome bastard.  Not picking the best out of him and Xavi though, neither deserve it.

Who in most peoples opinion ie the better player: Xavi or Pirlo? IMO its fairly clear that Pirlo is a much better player. He actually tries to create things instead of passing sideways all the time. He mightn't get 100% pass completion every game but when you get 100% pass completion is it not obvious that the player is just passing sideways.

Wow... :lol:

Explain.

Xavi is one of the best midfielders ever, to say that anyone is a much better player is ridiculous IMO.

There are two midfielders better than him on the field right now.

Iniesta is better right now, Xavi at his prime was better though. Pirlo definitely isn't nor has he ever been much better.

Pirlo's ageing is an odd one for me, when you watch him play you can yes getting on and isn't physically all there anymore, but as VI says, the way he plays really helps him cope with that, I'd argue physically Xavi hasn't declined as much, but the way he plays that decline has had a much bigger impact.

It's splitting hairs between them, iniesta is so great to watch. Xavi is the worst to watch of the trio, and has declined, at his best though could pass a ball through the eye of a needle 15 times in a row

Some great and accurate things posted here.

Don't get me wrong, I love Pirlo but I find people that really appreciate what Xavi does and Busquets too - understand the intricacies of the game more. With Pirlo it's often more obvious the great work he does. But Xavi - he's like Floyd Mayweather junior. It's a master class in movement, patience, finding the opportunity to strike etc.

With Pirlo - it's probably easier to have him in your side. He just needs two very athletic midfielders beside him and he's ready to go. Xavi - he IS the system. The heartbeat of the Barca way. In another set-up without the cohorts it would be harder for him. Until the manager realises the rest of the players need to take their cue from Xavi.