RIP Joe Kinnear (1946–2024)

Anderson

Foudn this gem from 2011.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2011/03/17/joe-kinnear-feels-he-deserves-more-credit-61634-28350929/?

“I wanted to sell him (N’Zogbia) because I didn’t get on with him, I didn’t think he was a fighter,” said Kinnear.

“I got £8m for him and it was me who brought in Kevin Nolan for £4m. He was Newcastle’s player of the year last year but do I get any credit for signing him? No, because I’m a cockney.

“The trouble was, I had to generate my own money. When the £8m was offered by Brucey I knew I had to get Nolan, then I got Løvenkrands. He was a free. With his experience I thought he would be great to come off the bench for us.”

“The only conversation I had with him (Bruce) was over N’Zogbia,” Kinnear insisted. “He said he phoned me on the Monday. I never had a conversation with any manager about Andy Carroll.

“Andy Carroll was a kid I’d given his debut to. Him and Shola Ameobi were going to be my strikers.

“Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias had no intentions of selling him at any stage.

“When Chrissy Hughton put him in the team Andy was able to step down a level and did fantastically well. Whether he is trying to talk himself up or not, I don’t know. But to say he only offered £2.5m, it makes him look stupid.

“For me to let Andy go to Wigan, he would have had to sell his entire team, and then you would have had to pay Andy a fortune just to go to Wigan.

“I think Andy had bigger options in his head even then.”

I have to give it to him and Ashley, hearing this man simply talk, about anything, is like those terrible pain memes or crash youtube videos. You know it's painful but you can't stop watching. It's puerile, basic entertainment, as it's happening at a primal level.

What the hell is this man doing near our club?

Does make me laugh everyday though :lol:

I'm enjoying it. Think I've lost the plot.

Really? Howay. ???

Dunno whether it's just because it's the summer so it's not affecting us on the pitch yet, but I've certainly not been too upset by it all. The initial announcement just left me incredulous.

If we start losing good players and/or bringing absolute shite in then I'll start to spit the dummy out.

Really? Howay. ???

Dunno whether it's just because it's the summer so it's not affecting us on the pitch yet, but I've certainly not been too upset by it all.

If we start losing good players and/or bringing absolute shite in then I'll start to spit the dummy out.

Fair enough. I'm not gonna come on here and say "you shouldn't think THIS", but I honestly don't know how anyone can enjoy having this man associated with the club - regurgitating verbal diarrhoea every time a journalist is within a few miles of him. I don't even give a shit if Shearer couldn't cut it and I don't care if he's entitled to 'fight back' in the press... he's stuck it to the bloke I'd call my hero and it's just another in a list of utter fucking bullshit. The bloke is an idiot and an embarrassment. None of this post is anything new, but I just can't come to terms with it. His appointment has had no effect on the pitch yet, but his presence has degraded us and people are laughing at us again (our own fans included) - that's gutting.

After the Arsenal game (well, Sunderland really), I had pretty much switched off from football (news) cos it was bareable that way. Kinnear came back and I 'switched on' again, but only for a few days in the midst of the immediate furore. Having tried to turn my back until August again, I've learned that it's just not gonna be possible when this clown is involved with us.

Buh.

Guest antz1uk

Well I've just tried to follow lee Ryder on twitter for updates and I'm blocked! Can't remember what I must have said to him.. Gimp

@MsiDouglas

"Joe regrets what happened. He will be here in the future. You're all talking about someone you don't know," he says.

It's perfectly fine for him to say we all hate cockneys of course.

Really? Howay. ???

Dunno whether it's just because it's the summer so it's not affecting us on the pitch yet, but I've certainly not been too upset by it all.

Fair enough. I'm not gonna come on here and say "you shouldn't think THIS", but I honestly don't know how anyone can enjoy having this man associated with the club - regurgitating verbal diarrhoea every time a journalist is within a few miles of him. I don't even give a shit if Shearer couldn't cut it and I don't care if he's entitled to 'fight back' in the press... he's stuck it to the bloke I'd call my hero and it's just another in a list of utter fucking bullshit. The bloke is an idiot and an embarrassment. None of this post is anything new, but I just can't come to terms with it. His appointment has had no effect on the pitch yet, but people are laughing at us again (our own fans included) and it's gutting.

After the Arsenal well game (well, Sunderland really), I had pretty much switched off from football (news) cos it was bareable that way. Kinnear came back and I 'switched on' again, but only for a few days in the midst of the immediate furore. Having tried to turn my back until August again, it's just not gonna be possible when this clown is involved with us.

Buh.

Maybe us being mental has just become the norm for me, so it's what I expect. It's not nice to be the laughing stock again, of course, but I'm lucky enough to have a relatively insular existence when it comes to NUFC. Got some family who are Sunderland/Spurs that I speak to very rarely, but aside from that everyone else I see regularly is a Newcastle fan too. I don't read Twitter, listen to 5Live/talkSPORT or watch much SSN so I don't get much external reaction at all.

I do, perhaps oddly, appreciate the fact that Kinnear has been incredibly good value for the media since the bombshell got dropped and I'm also warmly supportive of Pardew getting his cage rattled a bit after that abortion of a season. I honestly couldn't stop listening to his talkSPORT interview because it just felt so surreal and it was genuinely entertaining listening to him rambling on like a drunken madman. Of course it was embarrassing and could potentially have been/still be used by the likes of Cabaye to help engineer a move away, but it's been quiet so far on that front. He did at least appear to know who some of our best players are as well, which is a start, and as always it wasn't as bad as it was made out to be.

Llambias getting forced out could be a positive to come out of the situation as well, although again time will tell on that. I do have the nagging doubt that Kinnear in the DOF role is a ticking timebomb in the way Wise was, but then again it's not like I have any time for Pardew like I did for Keegan. Pardew > Kinnear is a lot easier to take than Keegan > Kinnear, basically.

It's a very confusing time at the moment, but I certainly wouldn't say it was all doom and gloom again. We've still got what I personally consider to be a very strong squad and the owner does appear to be somewhat fucked off that we underachieved badly last season, which surely can only be a positive thing? We've heard for ages people saying they wanted to get him "interested again" and January was proof that if he's involved then things tend to get done and rules tend to get bent a little bit.

As I said earlier on in the thread, it's really just about watching the transfer window and the pre-season unfold now for me. Things are incredibly difficult to judge at present because of the sheer amount of turbulence this has all brought.