Sunderland

Nobody

HTT, do you not think that is down to them living in a city that gets so little investment but the city up the road gets a lot more by comparison? Overtime you are going to feel resentment. Like many poor areas around the country people make immigrants and non-whites out to be one of the reasons as to why there is little opportunity for them and why they have the life they have and why their city by comparison on so far behind. This then leads to a combined racist attitude, similar can be seen with the "Geordie shite", and "Got to get one over them", it's a similar form of resentment in my opinion.

Sorry but I have good friends from mackem land and work a lot there and as people and as a city we couldn't be more different, even as fans. There is a huge anti Geordie/anything NUFC bias in sunderland to the point of hatred and real spite. We on the other hand consider mackems and sunderland as rivals on a match day and good for a bit of p*ss take but in general, yous are pretty irrelevant.

My brother in law used to produce a beer called Toon Ale and whenever he delivered it to a mackem Asda or Tesco store, the mackem staff would kick his cases out of spite and display it shoddily and he would often get "can't believe we are stocking that Geordie s****".

As for sunderland itself, its a very run down area with little to nothing going for it and its people in the main seem to be a decade or so behind everyone else in societal ways. Racism is huge in sunderland for example.

A mate of mine whenever he comes to Newcastle or mainly the Metro Centre comes wearing his kit, same with his kids and lass. Why? Gotta put one over on the Geordies, bet they hate seeing us wearing our tops in their city ha ha etc. Reality, who the f*** cares? If anything it reflects badly on him and others because its so small-time.

But that's sunderland for you as a whole, small-time.

Sorry, but without wanting to sound arrogant or anything like that but there is no comparison between the two clubs, the two cities and most of all us as people. We are northerners, from the NE and we support unsuccessful clubs who by and large don't deserve our support, which in the main, all things considered is f***ing amazing on both sides. Buts that's it. There is a reason your players prefer to live in Newcastle and why many mackems come to shop and drink or work in Newcastle and there is a reason why your club struggles to attract top players and why rival fans consider yous as somekind of NE runt of litter. And that's because yous are s***, a  s*** club, s*** city, s*** fans, s*** s*** s***. NUFC are s*** btw but Geordies are recognised as decent people the world over and Newcastle as a great City. That's why so many people come to visit our city, come to study here, to live here, to work here and why we and it continue to pick up awards and national and global recognition.

And this is from someone who regards our city as a bit of a tip these days.

This post is so full of unfounded, evidenceless generalisations that it hardly warrants a reply, but I'm polite, and I enjoy a debate, so here goes.........

I'll start on the parts which I agree with. Newcastle is a better city. It has better infrastructure, architecture, museums, nightlife, hospitals and university.

Now to the rest.

There is not a huge anti Newcastle bias in Sunderland. I live here, and have done for all of my life. As with many of these things it's magnified because it's a vocal minority who spout off. Sadly the vast majority of Mackems, like me, are rarely heard, or worse, conveniently ignored.

As for the Toon Ale. If I was to produce an ale called Mackem Magic, and tried to retail it in Newcastle how do you think it sell ? Nothing to do with the people of Sunderland being petty, simply our puerile rivalry rearing it's childish head once again.

Sunderland a run down area ? The area I live in is anything but ran down, and by typing such ludicrous, generalised statements simply undermines the relevant parts of your argument.

As for wearing rival tops in other cities ? Have you been to the Sunderland Airshow ? There's hundreds of Newcastle tops on show, and no one gives a toss. I go there every year and I think it's quite refreshing to see all the different fans, with their families, mingling without any trouble.

As for your last rant. You began by saying you didn't want to sound arrogant, which is never a good start (it's a bit like saying "with all due respect") you then come out with this :-

"And that's because yous are s***, a  s*** club, s*** city, s*** fans, s*** s*** s***. NUFC are s*** btw but Geordies are recognised as decent people the world"

Baseless, ignorant nonsense, akin to saying all Scousers are thieves, or all Yorkshiremen are tight. It's simply not true.

Sorry but I have good friends from mackem land and work a lot there and as people and as a city we couldn't be more different, even as fans. There is a huge anti Geordie/anything NUFC bias in sunderland to the point of hatred and real spite. We on the other hand consider mackems and sunderland as rivals on a match day and good for a bit of p*ss take but in general, yous are pretty irrelevant.

My brother in law used to produce a beer called Toon Ale and whenever he delivered it to a mackem Asda or Tesco store, the mackem staff would kick his cases out of spite and display it shoddily and he would often get "can't believe we are stocking that Geordie s****".

As for sunderland itself, its a very run down area with little to nothing going for it and its people in the main seem to be a decade or so behind everyone else in societal ways. Racism is huge in sunderland for example.

A mate of mine whenever he comes to Newcastle or mainly the Metro Centre comes wearing his kit, same with his kids and lass. Why? Gotta put one over on the Geordies, bet they hate seeing us wearing our tops in their city ha ha etc. Reality, who the f*** cares? If anything it reflects badly on him and others because its so small-time.

Sorry, but without wanting to sound arrogant or anything like that but there is no comparison between the two clubs, the two cities and most of all us as people. We are northerners, from the NE and we support unsuccessful clubs who by and large don't deserve our support, which in the main, all things considered is f***ing amazing on both sides. Buts that's it. There is a reason your players prefer to live in Newcastle and why many mackems come to shop and drink or work in Newcastle and there is a reason why your club struggles to attract top players and why rival fans consider yous as somekind of NE runt of litter. And that's because yous are s***, a  s*** club, s*** city, s*** fans, s*** s*** s***. NUFC are s*** btw but Geordies are recognised as decent people the world over and Newcastle as a great City. That's why so many people come to visit our city, come to study here, to live here, to work here and why we and it continue to pick up awards and national and global recognition.

This post is so full of unfounded, evidenceless generalisations that it hardly warrants a reply, but I'm polite, and I enjoy a debate, so here goes.........

I'll start on the parts which I agree with. Newcastle is a better city. It has better infrastructure, architecture, museums, nightlife, hospitals and university.

Now to the rest.

There is not a huge anti Newcastle bias in Sunderland. I live here, and have done for all of my life. As with many of these things it's magnified because it's a vocal minority who spout off. Sadly the vast majority of Mackems, like me, are rarely heard, or worse, conveniently ignored.

As for the Toon Ale. If I was to produce an ale called Mackem Magic, and tried to retail it in Newcastle how do you think it sell ? Nothing to do with the people of Sunderland being petty, simply our puerile rivalry rearing it's childish head once again.

Sunderland a run down area ? The area I live in is anything but ran down, and by typing such ludicrous, generalised statements simply undermines the relevant parts of your argument.

As for wearing rival tops in other cities ? Have you been to the Sunderland Airshow ? There's hundreds of Newcastle tops on show, and no one gives a toss. I go there every year and I think it's quite refreshing to see all the different fans, with their families, mingling without any trouble.

As for your last rant. You began by saying you didn't want to sound arrogant, which is never a good start (it's a bit like saying "with all due respect") you then come out with this :-

"And that's because yous are s***, a  s*** club, s*** city, s*** fans, s*** s*** s***. NUFC are s*** btw but Geordies are recognised as decent people the world"

Baseless, ignorant nonsense, akin to saying all Scousers are thieves, or all Yorkshiremen are tight. It's simply not true.

Well said. Much better than I could have put it.

The latest mackem missionaries on here are certainly the blandest we've ever had, therefore probably the least offensive, but the attempts to lump all NE fans together are ridiculous.

They got 15K for an FA Cup 5th round tie, next game we got 51K for Villa with a p*ssed off supporter base and on the back of four consecutive home losses. They have a catalogue of appalling behaviour and racist activity, we had a p*ssed up fan who had a go at a police horse.

They try to justify their fans' behaviour by coming on here and saying we're all the same. We're not, and their time would be better spent doing missionary work with their own.

What's attendances got to do with fans behaviour ? I've already conceded earlier in this thread that Newcastle have higher attendances now, and historically, but I fail to see what that has to do with fan behaviour.

And we are pretty much all the same. You can post lists of terrible fans from Sunderland, and I could do exactly the same regarding some of the idiots who follow Newcastle, but what's the point ? The only thing that would be proven is that the main difference between us is the colours on our replica shirts. We're only 11 miles apart, we're not from different planets. Where I work is about 50/50 between Newcastle & Sunderland fans, and I can honestly say I don't prefer one over the other, except on derby days.

Our fans have seen us compete for the Premier League title and play in European competitions. SAFC's fans have seen neither, and are incredibly bitter and hostile towards us as a result. Claiming unprovable victories such as 'classiness' would be wholly expected from the less successful rival because SAFC don't have many provable victories.

Now to the rest.

Sensible, thoughtful stuff. You'll never fit in on RTG with that attitude, mind.

people confusing online with the wider world. hence why there are shockwaves on here when there aren't mass calls for pardew's head during every game.

:thup: This is an actual thing. Young people today, tut. That should be read in a serious and disapproving voice, thanks.

It's a shame these two mackems won't experience a derby defeat in the near future.

That is normly the acid test of their 'canny mackem' mettle and has been the death of previous residents.

Quite a few years ago I had a good mate, from Sunderland, berating me about how money is invested in Newcastle and not in Sunderland. He pointed out the Arena, which was just nearing completion at that time. I can remember him going on about how One North East were willing to plough money into that project even though there were other venues in Newcastle yet nothing in Sunderland. He was more than a little surprised and confused when I informed him that the Arena. Like many projects in Newcastle were funded privately. In the case of the Arena by Chas Chandler. Not One North East. That one of their Uber-fans, namely Steve Cram, chose to open a shop in Newcastle and not in Sunderland, a well know record shop that had branches throughout the North east, owned by two Sunderland supporters had branches Newcastle and Gateshead YEARS before Sunderland . That their own city council chose to destroy their town centre with a one way system. A lot of inward investment, re-building and refurbishment is done by the people of this city privately without recourse to the public purse. Newcastle and Gateshead are pulling to build a twin city and it doesn't matter what spin Sunderland people try to put on it they are falling further and further behind because they are not willing to back their own city. Sunderland council even invest heavily in Newcastle Airport ( yes that's its real name not Ponteland ). On the one hand Sunderland fans love to say they own it or condemn the fact that it is not at the top of Northumberland Street. And yes, amongst all this we have the anomaly of the Metro system which Sunderland didn't get for years. But then again Sunderland supporters do seem to take a great joy in smashing it up. The point being if the people of Sunderland will not invest in their own town, why expect anyone else, especially your hated neighbours to do it for you ?

true, so why do so may Mackems claim to be something better,classy marras etc, when the evidence to everyone else is the exact opposite?

I don't think most Sunderland supporters think we're different from anyone else. I've seen our fans behave amazingly well, and at times absolutely terribly, as I have with fans of every other football club.

Regardless of what you think, this 'classy' mantra has spread like a rash amongst your lot online, almost always coupled with an 'unclassy'  jibe levelled at us. My post above is calling out the bullsh*t, as I'm sure would happen the other way round if we suddenly declared ourselves the ne plus ultra of the North-East fanbase.

Put it this way - one arseh*le took a swing at a horse and one adolescent idiot erroneously wrote 'boycoutt'...and ever since we haven't heard the end of either. Given the behaviour of some of the pond-life in the links provided, I think your lot got off lightly in return.

and therein lies the tale. people confusing online with the wider world. hence why there are shockwaves on here when ther aren't mass calls for pardew's head during every game.

I'm not one to claim mackems are generally idiots or anything, I think they're a loyal lot and generally typical of all footy fans, but have to say my mackem friends drops the class thing offline as well. "that geordie class again", it's definitely a word in the football vocab of mackems for some strange reason. One tried to argue they were classier last week, I just tell him "f*** off, none of us are classy man"

On staff night out, they were all quiet at first...they had been to wembo for the final.  Once they had a few drinks inside them, they became full of themselves and started showing me pics from their phones. "this is what wembley looks like" they said, forgetting they didn't win.  :lol: :lol:

Well done for losing it.  :lol:

Im always quiet polite and put the banter to one side but if thats their attitude.  Let the relegation begin!

On staff night out, they were all quiet at first...they had been to wembo for the final.  Once they had a few drinks inside them, they became full of themselves and started showing me pics from their phones. "this is what wembley looks like" they said, forgetting they didn't win.  :lol: :lol:

Im always quiet polite and put the banter to one side but if thats their attitude.  Let the relegation begin!

I just show them a picture from Lisbon. Knob'eds.

the whole trouble with them is they were so far behind is for so long, the slightest bit of upturn for them, they get way ahead of themselves, usually ( recent derbies aside) ending in hilarious calamity.

i've experienced the class thing like, even if it's not explicitly expressed as "we're classier marra" i've found most of them are falling over themselves to highlight examples of bad behaviour as proof we're all classless scum

Funnily enough, often the same people who are convinced their hooligan element is harder than ours.

i've experienced the class thing like, even if it's not explicitly expressed as "we're classier marra" i've found most of them are falling over themselves to highlight examples of bad behaviour as proof we're all classless scum

Funnily enough, often the same people who are convinced their hooligan element is harder than ours.

Or their own players driving around shooting at people with an air gun.

Or their supporters smashing their place up after a derby defeat, admittedly, it was hard to notice.

Or NHS reports stating that Sunderland has the highest percentage of obese supporters in the country.

Or how they love to go to the airport with their strips on and don't seem to remove them until after they return home.

I think the term is ''Selective Denial''

Quite a few years ago I had a good mate, from Sunderland, berating me about how money is invested in Newcastle and not in Sunderland. He pointed out the Arena, which was just nearing completion at that time. I can remember him going on about how One North East were willing to plough money into that project even though there were other venues in Newcastle yet nothing in Sunderland. He was more than a little surprised and confused when I informed him that the Arena. Like many projects in Newcastle were funded privately. In the case of the Arena by Chas Chandler. Not One North East. That one of their Uber-fans, namely Steve Cram, chose to open a shop in Newcastle and not in Sunderland, a well know record shop that had branches throughout the North east, owned by two Sunderland supporters had branches Newcastle and Gateshead YEARS before Sunderland . That their own city council chose to destroy their town centre with a one way system. A lot of inward investment, re-building and refurbishment is done by the people of this city privately without recourse to the public purse. Newcastle and Gateshead are pulling to build a twin city and it doesn't matter what spin Sunderland people try to put on it they are falling further and further behind because they are not willing to back their own city. Sunderland council even invest heavily in Newcastle Airport ( yes that's its real name not Ponteland ). On the one hand Sunderland fans love to say they own it or condemn the fact that it is not at the top of Northumberland Street. And yes, amongst all this we have the anomaly of the Metro system which Sunderland did get for years. But then again Sunderland supporters do seem to take a great joy in smashing it up. The point being if the people of Sunderland will not invest in their own town, why expect anyone else, especially your hated neighbours to do it for you ?

Pretty spot on that.

The prosperity of a town cannot be shored up by public money, eventually the citizens and planners have to make it happen themselves and in that respect Newcastle and Sunderland have gone in very different directions in recent decades.

There is no better illustration of the difference in the two cities than that provided by the high paid employees of Sunderland Football Club themselves. While none of them would live or spend any time voluntarily in Sunderland itself, their management and players often live in Newcastle and are regularly seen socialising in and around the city.

This extends even to Sunderland born "mackem icons" who, as soon as they become successful or wealthy, flee the place to set up home in Newcastle's more affluent neighbourhoods.

Quite a few years ago I had a good mate, from Sunderland, berating me about how money is invested in Newcastle and not in Sunderland. He pointed out the Arena, which was just nearing completion at that time. I can remember him going on about how One North East were willing to plough money into that project even though there were other venues in Newcastle yet nothing in Sunderland. He was more than a little surprised and confused when I informed him that the Arena. Like many projects in Newcastle were funded privately. In the case of the Arena by Chas Chandler. Not One North East. That one of their Uber-fans, namely Steve Cram, chose to open a shop in Newcastle and not in Sunderland, a well know record shop that had branches throughout the North east, owned by two Sunderland supporters had branches Newcastle and Gateshead YEARS before Sunderland . That their own city council chose to destroy their town centre with a one way system. A lot of inward investment, re-building and refurbishment is done by the people of this city privately without recourse to the public purse. Newcastle and Gateshead are pulling to build a twin city and it doesn't matter what spin Sunderland people try to put on it they are falling further and further behind because they are not willing to back their own city. Sunderland council even invest heavily in Newcastle Airport ( yes that's its real name not Ponteland ). On the one hand Sunderland fans love to say they own it or condemn the fact that it is not at the top of Northumberland Street. And yes, amongst all this we have the anomaly of the Metro system which Sunderland did get for years. But then again Sunderland supporters do seem to take a great joy in smashing it up. The point being if the people of Sunderland will not invest in their own town, why expect anyone else, especially your hated neighbours to do it for you ?

Pretty spot on that.

The prosperity of a town cannot be shored up by public money, eventually the citizens and planners have to make it happen themselves and in that respect Newcastle and Sunderland have gone in very different directions in recent decades.

There is no better illustration of the difference in the two cities than that provided by the high paid employees of Sunderland Football Club themselves. While none of them would live or spend any time voluntarily in Sunderland itself, their management and players often live in Newcastle and are regularly seen socialising in and around the city.

This extends even to Sunderland born "mackem icons" who, as soon as they become successful or wealthy, flee the place to set up home in Newcastle's more affluent neighbourhoods.

There was a great prog on TV the other night, with Evan Davies who hosts The Dragons den.  Talking about London being a massive of hub of investment and drawing people from all over the country towards it.

He went on to talk about hubs being the future to generate growth.  Newcastle and Durham were mentioned, Sunderland wasn't.  Tho I'd image that any regional hub would be Newcastle, Durham, Gateshead and Sunderland acting as one.  I see the government has given the go ahead for our regions councils to merge as one.  maybe the begining of this regional hub.

I used to work for a rather large wholesaler who had a store in one of the many grey areas in between Newcastle and Sunderland, however as it was built in the 1970s and the company policy at that time was to name shops after the nearest city so it became the "Newcastle store". I had several customers of the angry Mackem variety complain to me, a lowly member of the customer service staff, about the naming policy when "Penshaa Monument is arnly two minutes away you Geordie bastid!". One day in passing I mentioned these complaints to the store manager. His face dropped. He began to regale me with tales of all the abusive emails he received (around half a dozen every week) from angry Sunderland supporters calling him a black and white bastard, maggie scum etc. He wasn't even from Newcastle. There was also a suggestion the national head office got loads of emails too. Eventually I believe they dropped the Newcastle name to appease the mad fuckers.

So aye - Mackems are small-time mentalists who send abusive emails to national chains of wholesalers because they think they're all part of some mad conspiracy to trample the good people of Red House, Hylton Castle, Pennywell, Hendon etc.