Sunderland

Nobody

As sad as I am and realising it's a waste of time, I have just for the first time in my life emailed a radio station. I wont get a reply but I felt a bit better for writing it:

The attendance at the Sunderland v Chelsea cup quarter final was poor and certainly worthy of comment on your show during the week. I must say though that Sunderland supporters do get a raw deal in general and in my view they have support that is just about incomparable.

Sunderland as a football club aren’t just underachievers it is much, much more than that. Sunderland have won one domestic trophy in 77 years, there are other well supported clubs with similar records but in modern history SAFC don’t even compete as a decent top level club. They have had 3 top 10 finishes in more than half a century they have never in their history qualified for Europe through a league position, spent a significant period of their modern history in the second division and even a season in the third. They have suffered 15 point and 19 point seasons in the premiership and are currently bottom of the league again.

Is there another club in British football that has pulled in over 40,000 fans regularly with comparable history? Instantly comparisons with our neighbours come into play. Newcastle United also have magnificent supporters but I do recall them having a crowd as low as 19,000 for a televised cup tie with Spurs in the recent past and of course NUFC are a club that may not have won trophies they have qualified for the champions league, beaten the likes of Barcelona and Juventus, reached the latter stages of the UEFA cup, boasted world class players like Shearer, Asprilla, Albert, Ginola, Beardsley, Gascoigne, Owen and Micky Quinn (wink) all in the fairly recent past. Our greatest players in the last 50 years have probably been Niall Quinn and Kevin Phillips with a notable shout for a bunch of second division players that won the cup – there really is no comparison. This season Sunderland are averaging more through the gate than AC Milan and Juventus. Their support in terms of numbers is always right up there with the best in the premiership. So I agree by all means ridicule a Sunderland cup attendance but perhaps on occasions they should be given credit for having the most wonderful support given the most trying of circumstances.

:lol::lol::lol:

http://i43.tinypic.com/16m9cb9.gif

:mackems: :mackems: :mackems:

There's enough s*** still around them that they could be saved by the crapness of other teams. They're not down but would need a huge boost in form

Its mental how only a couple of wins could see them looking safe again, shows how poor that end of the league is.

Guest Roger Kint

Another 'harsh' red card apparently. :lol:

Team of cunts.

Martin Atkinson fucked them over again by all accounts. Big grin on his face as he ran to show him the red for a fair tackle. These guys :lol:

BBC commentator just said red card was justified for a really bad challenge. 

He also said that the Norwich player was going nowhere and it didn't need to be made. Is Brown one of their famous drinking clique? Maybe fancies Christmas on the lash - never been one for wanting to play too many games.

Inspirational!

Sunderland manager Gus Poyet: "I'm disappointed. I was expecting more from the team: I was expecting to win.

"Every time we win an important game - like the cup win (against Chelsea) - the next step is always down.

"We were very poor technically today. Playing extra-time on Tuesday is no excuse.

"I'm realistic. Time is running out (to stay up)."

Their home fixtures are pretty favourable tbh. But they're still shite anyway, and they're coming from a pathetic starting point. There's also the impending fallout between the manager and club.

They're off down.