Sunderland

Nobody

Their fans are just typical small club mentality looking forward to a big day out.  The reality, which will come back very quickly in the cold light of day post-match, is that they're a club who can only get 15,000 for a 5th round cup tie against a good Premiership team and 20 odd thousand against Manchester United in a home semi final. They'll be top the Premier League's "most empty seats in a stadium" list every season without fail and nowadays even have to give away free tickets for the derby match to pad the stadium out.

Like Wigan and Bradford before them they'll have busloads of grannies and other one-off fans going down for the final but they'll soon be back to the reality of a half empty (on the better days) stadium and a turgid relegation struggle.

Because if Newcastle got to a final then the fans and City would not look forward to the day and/or enjoy it? I don't understand how this is a small club mentality?

Also we have a 40k plus average for league games?

I agree some of the cup attendances have been shite but still...

Hey, you've fluked your way to a cup final, good luck, enjoy it.

The fact you're taking a lot more "fans" to Wembley than bothered to turn out in Sunderland for the semi against Manchester United and more than twice the number who turned out for your FA Cup 5th round tie does however smack of small club mentality, whether you admit it or not.

Everyone knows that Sunderland fans and the sycophantic north east media have a whole catalogue of excuses for your embarrassing attendances but the most widely used one for the FA Cup tie was probably the lamest yet. You were all saving for a big day out in London :-) .  Using that kind of mackem logic then Man City and Arsenal fans who sold out to 48,000 and 60,000 respectively on the same day mustn't bother with Cup finals or away trips to Europe etc.

Their fans are just typical small club mentality looking forward to a big day out.  The reality, which will come back very quickly in the cold light of day post-match, is that they're a club who can only get 15,000 for a 5th round cup tie against a good Premiership team and 20 odd thousand against Manchester United in a home semi final. They'll be top the Premier League's "most empty seats in a stadium" list every season without fail and nowadays even have to give away free tickets for the derby match to pad the stadium out.

Like Wigan and Bradford before them they'll have busloads of grannies and other one-off fans going down for the final but they'll soon be back to the reality of a half empty (on the better days) stadium and a turgid relegation struggle.

Because if Newcastle got to a final then the fans and City would not look forward to the day and/or enjoy it? I don't understand how this is a small club mentality?

I agree some of the cup attendances have been s**** but still...

The fact you're taking a lot more "fans" to Wembley than bothered to turn out in Sunderland for the semi against Manchester United and more than twice the number who turned out for your FA Cup 5th round tie does however smack of small club mentality, whether you admit it or not.

Everyone knows that Sunderland fans and the sycophantic north east media have a whole catalogue of excuses for your embarrassing attendances but the most widely used one for the FA Cup tie was probably the lamest yet. You were all saving for a big day out in London :-) .  Using that kind of mackem logic then Man City and Arsenal fans who sold out to 48,000 and 60,000 respectively on the same day mustn't bother with Cup finals or away trips to Europe etc.

Getting to a cup final is a fluke?

I must have missed something.

I've already agreed that attendances were shite in previous rounds but I still don't get why it's a stick used to beat clubs with. The fans who turned up deserve their final trip. The ones who didn't will have had their reasons for not going. As I've said before I was there and I couldn't give a shit if I was the only one in the ground.

What I had an issue with was the fact that we have a small club mentality because the city and fans are getting excited at the prospect of a cup final.

Can't say they've fluked their way there, given they've knocked out plenty of big teams.

Aye they deserve to be there. Am proper envious of their trip to the final, will be a class weekend for them. Would be nice if they lose in an embarrassing fashion but can see a tight game tbh.

Can't say they've fluked their way there, given they've knocked out plenty of big teams.

Aye they deserve to be there. Am proper envious of their trip to the final, will be a class weekend for them. Would be nice if they lose in an embarrassing fashion but can see a tight game tbh.

Fuck off, Varadi. No one asked you.

:smitten:

I've already agreed that attendances were shite in previous rounds but I still don't get why it's a stick used to beat clubs with. The fans who turned up deserve their final trip. The ones who didn't will have had their reasons for not going. As I've said before I was there and I couldn't give a shit if I was the only one in the ground.

What I had an issue with was the fact that we have a small club mentality because the city and fans are getting excited at the prospect of a cup final.

the week before a cup final and on a mag board, fuck off, etc etc.

I've already agreed that attendances were s**** in previous rounds but I still don't get why it's a stick used to beat clubs with. The fans who turned up deserve their final trip. The ones who didn't will have had their reasons for not going. As I've said before I was there and I couldn't give a s*** if I was the only one in the ground.

the week before a cup final and on a mag board, f*** off, etc etc.

All my travel and hotel plans are sorted so I've got some more free time while I'm off work.

I've already agreed that attendances were s**** in previous rounds but I still don't get why it's a stick used to beat clubs with. The fans who turned up deserve their final trip. The ones who didn't will have had their reasons for not going. As I've said before I was there and I couldn't give a s*** if I was the only one in the ground.

the week before a cup final and on a mag board, f*** off, etc etc.

All my travel and hotel plans are sorted so I've got some more free time while I'm off work.

Ban tbh

:lol:

Bit harsh  :lol:

I get the feeling that you don't like Mackems, which when you think about it makes absolutely no sense. I wouldn't dream of saying I don't like Geordies, because I've not met a single one I've not got on great with. In fact one of my best mates is a Mag.

As for the empty seats, yes it's disappointing, but most rational Sunderland fans don't get too hung up on attendances. I long ago conceded that Newcastle have always, and will probably always have, better attendances than Sunderland. I'm happy with that.

And as for getting excited about Sunday ? Oh yes, I certainly am. Small club mentality ? It depends how you define 'small club', because if you look at the amount of trophies Newcastle and Sunderland have won since 1974, then sadly we're both small time  :sad:

Rather than constantly sniping at each other, both Newcastle and Sunderland fans should be asking their respective clubs,  who regularly attract 90,000 fans each week between them, why they haven't collected one single pot in almost 90 years combined. That's the most shameful statistic, not empty seats at the stadiums.

They deserve to be there but if all goes to plan they will be in for a hiding. Think it will be about 3-0 to Citeh myself.

I actually think they'll either beat us by 4 or more, or we'll sneak it by one goal, or on penalties.

Aye, agree with that.

Bit harsh  :lol:

I get the feeling that you don't like Mackems, which when you think about it makes absolutely no sense. I wouldn't dream of saying I don't like Geordies, because I've not met a single one I've not got on great with. In fact one of my best mates is a Mag.

Yeah it's well known that most mackems like Geordies, didn't hold it against Steve Bruce and think Alan Shearer is a great sporting ambassador for the region  :)

I've actually met a mackem friend in town before derby matches had a drink and enjoyed the crack. Of course he kept himself quiet and certainly wasn't the type who'd defecate or urinate on public transport, nor wear a horse's head to a football match  :)

A bit like yourself probably, though I suspect your manner may be slightly different in the company of your own to what it is on here  ;)

If they were all as reasonable as yourself the animosity would be almost non existant.