Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

If we do bin off Cisse I'd much prefer a different type of striker to replace him but wouldn't be 'furious' if we got Bent although it'd be underwhelming as f***. If he stays, I'd have Remy/similar as a priority ahead of Bent.

I'm with Disco here.

Bent's a bit below Cisse but He's a good player. The same posters against the signing of Bent per se want a 4-3-3 with one goalscorer in the side. Football doesn't work like that.

Really?, are you sure?  Because I wasnt aware that I wanted that.

Villa paid £24 million for 25 goals, his strike rate is okay, but he is only useful in the box really, the Seal Park faithful will be glad to see the back of him, even if the lose £20 million on him!

Don't think Lambert is ridding of him due to his lack off striking skills, which are still decent. Honestly reckon Lambert doesn't like him as a bloke and see's him unfit to be around a squad full of youngsters. Doesn't fit into his ethic at all.

If he comes here, well so be it. Let's just sort out the service we know he thrives on and watch him score goals for us. I was against it at first but i'm indifferent now, mainly due to the fact I don't think we'll get anyone else.

Don't think Lambert is ridding of him due to his lack off striking skills, which are still decent. Honestly reckon Lambert doesn't like him as a bloke and see's him unfit to be around a squad full of youngsters. Doesn't fit into his ethic at all.

I kind of see what you are hinting at, and I think Lambert chucking Bent in to train with the kids is treatment Bent doesn't really deserve.

To be fair, there haven't been any rumours about Bent being in any way troublesome as a person, it has entirely been about the sort of player he is.

it is often forgotten, but Lambert actually made Bent captain at one point last season.

Villa paid £24 million for 25 goals, his strike rate is okay, but he is only useful in the box really, the Seal Park faithful will be glad to see the back of him, even if the lose £20 million on him!

That's a load of bollocks, as well, the "glad to see the back of him" thing.

You'd probably find most Villa fans would choose to keep him if it were up to them.

I'd also point out that we paid 18m plus extras for him, so unless you know what the extras were, 24m sounds somewhat over the top.

See, we were desperately short of goals and looking like going down, so we went out and broke our transfer record, and bought the goals to stay up. And we stayed up. What your lot would have done is poke around the arse end of the market, get nobody in, and go down without a whimper whilst whining on about how your play proper bostin football and it ay fair and what not.

Still, I'd expect it is at times like this that Albion fans' utter obsession with us shows through and they really prove themselves to have their finger on the pulse of things at Villa, so I'll bow to your more informed analysis of the Bent situation.

Lambert probably just wants the money/him off the wage bill. Done exactly the same with other high earners too.

That's probably the closest to the truth.

To be entirely honest, if he just sees Bent as a back up as he's not his natural style of striker, then it's daft to be spunking those sort of wages on someone who isn't your first choice.

I agree. And while many of us would love to sign someone of better quality than Cisse or someone like Benteke or Lukaku who's an all around beast, Bent isn't like signing Carlton Cole. Bent's probably far better than Cisse is in the air and being physical with less of the magical that Cisse has done for us. 

He's a clear downgrade imo.  Does even less for the team, has no ability to produce outside the area and is one and a half years older.

No its not as bad as signing Carlton Cole, but as anything other than a backup he's still a pretty terrible signing.  Unless it's a case of a short term replacement for Cisse if he's determined to leave.  Still in that case I'd rather go for a different kind of striker than have to downgrade.

Ireland on his way too? Sort of get the idea any players of that ilk are not his cuppa at all.

Ireland is a shirker, ultimately.

Did better than most under McLeish - not saying much - then slipped back into his old ways.

One thing Lambert absolutely won't be putting up with is anyone who won't pull their weight. It's not surprising ireland is on his way, and even less so that Richard Dunne managed to make that mystery injury last an entire season.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I can see Lambert making Villa exciting. Turning beige into Cerulean or some other nice colour.

I can see Lambert making Villa exciting. Turning beige into Cerulean or some other nice colour.

Cerulean?

Check out the new man credentials on Haris Vuckic.

I bet you know the Farrow and Ball stock number for that off by heart.

They already were to a point last season I thought, aided by having a gash defence in this aspect though. Very direct but not just long ball style. Reminded me a bit of us under Hughton but with a bit more pace. A team that knew it's strengths, eventually, and played to them well.

They'll do well next season if they keep Benteke, if not then obviously it'll depend on how he is replaced.

They already were to a point last season I thought, aided by having a gash defence in this aspect though. Very direct but not just long ball style. Reminded me a bit of us under Hughton but with a bit more pace. A team that knew it's strengths, eventually, and played to them well.

They'll do well next season if they keep Benteke, if not then obviously it'll depend on how he is replaced.

We at least tried to play football last season. Look at the likes of Agbonlahor's goal at Reading or Weimann's at Anfield, that was proper, passing football. I actually went out and bought the season review DVD and watched it, thinking "fuck me, we scored some cracking goals". When you consider we finished 15th, that says something. There was certainly absolutely nothing even remotely long ball about us.

We struggled a lot, and the defence was shit, but honestly, I can barely remember a Villa manager getting such levels of support before, it was pretty amazing.

That's because people realise it's a risk that he's taking, but they've bought into it. It was never, ever boring. We played some cracking football, we had some nightmares, we had some enormous tactical fuck ups, but it was never for a second anything less than totally watchable all season.

It is also a reflection of the McLeish year that came before it. Honestly, I know I have tried to explain it properly on here before, but I just can't do justice to how monumentally depressing and embarassing that was. It was horrific, just horrific.

I am shaking a bit now, trying to explain it.

This season could be a nightmare, we might finish 15th again, we might finish 8th or so, I have no idea, genuinely, but it is at least not going to be boring. I don't even give too much of a shit if Benteke goes. I trust him to spend the money well.

I am really looking forward to it, and so is every single Villa fan I know.

And that's what matters at the end of the day.

Latter half of last season I really enjoyed watching your lot.

It is all a big roundabout. The entire season before that, I'd rather have undergone root canal without anaesthetic than go to Villa Park.

Meanwhile....

:pardsgrin:

I'm shocked anyone's advocating Bent as a replacement for Cisse. Crazy. We would be massively downgrading, to a bloke that wasn't deemed good enough to play for Villa.

He'd be a decent back up, would take him as that 100% but certainly not as a replacement.

I was actually quite looking forward to Bent arriving, but now I know he's a replacement for Cisse it's killed my enthusiasm stone dead. For those who thought Cisse couldn't hold the ball up well, good luck with Bent. Cisse is twice the player he is outside the box IMO.

I'm shocked anyone's advocating Bent as a replacement for Cisse. Crazy. We would be massively downgrading, to a bloke that wasn't deemed good enough to play for Villa.

He'd be a decent back up, would take him as that 100% but certainly not as a replacement.

I was actually quite looking forward to Bent arriving, but now I know he's a replacement for Cisse it's killed my enthusiasm stone dead. For those who thought Cisse couldn't hold the ball up well, good luck with Bent. Cisse is twice the player he is outside the box IMO.

Yup. I was more than happy whenI though he'd be challenging Cisse, an option off the bench or whatever. But as a replacement not at all for me. If Pardew is going to continue with his awful brand of football, Bent is not the answer.

Think Bent is better at making diagonal runs actually to receive long balls.

Still leaves the problem of midfield support.

Yup. I was more than happy whenI though he'd be challenging Cisse, an option off the bench or whatever. But as a replacement not at all for me. If Pardew is going to continue with his awful brand of football, Bent is not the answer.

Think Bent is better at making diagonal runs actually to receive long balls.

Still leaves the problem of midfield support.

I think Cisse's link up play is better, he is quite good at laying the ball off for other runners -  not that we have many but in theory anyway.

Guest Haris Vuckic

They've definitely shown they are capable of good attacking football they just need to be a bit tighter at the back. There's nothing wrong with being direct - so long as you are actually being direct to your own players and not kicking the ball away because you haven't got the stones to think about what to do with it.

They'll get a fortune from Benteke and like most other clubs they'll probably replace him this summer rather than in 18 months/a year  like we do.