Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

I would rather have a fit Best than Bent like, not that that's saying much.

Me too. Best is a worse striker in terms of finishing but would fit better into our team (and would be more content with a bit part role).

I can't believe for a nanosecond some of you seem to think Leon Best would be a better bet than Bent.

You're utterly, utterly nuts if you do. Seriously.

It's probably been asked but what's your opinion on Bent? Do you think from what you've seen he can work with Cisse or does he have to be on his own?

For what reason?

I don't rate either very much, but I do think that Best would suit Cisse a hell of a lot better than Bent.

I rate Cisse far, far higher than the two of the others put together, and IMO we should build our attacking side of our game around Cisse and Ben Arfa. I've said it before, but a manager who fails to get someone like Cisse to score is doing something wrong, and signing Bent wouldn't do anything to right that wrong.

I'm also shit scared of Pardew playing Bent over Cisse, either leaving Cisse on the bench or playing him out wide again, which we all know is absolutely mental.

I would, Best would suit Cisse a lot more than Bent would. I quite liked Best, thought he was underrated, if he could have added a bit more goals to his game he would be a good striker BUT the work he did to allow Ba to score was undervalued

Pardew has quite clearly shown he doesn't have a clue tactically, so having a striker (Bent) who is only useful if you put the ball in the box on numerous occasions is not a better option that someone who works his bollocks off outside the box and creates space/opportunities for the other striker

I can't believe for a nanosecond some of you seem to think Leon Best would be a better bet than Bent.

You're utterly, utterly nuts if you do. Seriously.

You yourself have said Bent is useless outside of the box and we barely get the ball in the box so preferring someone who offers something outside of the box is not nuts

I guess it's akin to preferring Weimann to Bent

Pardew hopes to tie up Bent deal this week as Newcastle boss also targets Remy

By COLIN YOUNG

PUBLISHED: 21:45, 16 July 2013 | UPDATED: 21:45, 16 July 2013

Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew is looking to seal a deal for Aston Villa striker Darren Bent by the weekend.

As the full Newcastle squad, including striker Papiss Cisse, head out to Portugal on Wednesday for a week-long training camp, Pardew is desperate to strengthen his numbers.

Former Sunderland striker Bent, who has been told he can quit Villa Park, is his No 1 target. He has also been linked again with QPR striker Loic Remy and made an inquiry for Porto defender Rolando.

After a comfortable 4-2 win over Motherwell at Fir Park last night, Pardew said he hopes to have one deal finalised by the weekend when his side play their second pre-season game against Rio Ave in Portugal.

Pardew said: 'I would expect to be down the road with a transfer when we are in Portugal. I am hoping that Joe and Lee Charnley get something over the line.’

Haris Vuckic, Yoan Gouffran, Moussa Sissoko and Sylvain Marveaux scored for a Newcastle side which was selected by Pardew last night on the basis of their pre-season fitness. Motherwell midfielder Iain Vigurs and former Sunderland striker James McFadden, with a cheeky penalty, were the home side’s scorers.

It was a comfortable win for Newcastle against a side preparing for their Europa Cup qualifiers next month, in front of more than 1,000 Toon fans who made the journey north from Tyneside.

Pardew added: `I was happy with that. I want our levels to be super high and it has shown tonight that our fitness levels are high.

'We also had a few bonuses, Haris was terrific on his return, Paul Dummett is knocking on the door of the first team. He could not have done any more, he was man of the match.

'We are all going to Portugal. It will be the first team that are all back now, so we are looking to take our strongest squad with us.

'It's too early for some of them to play on Saturday, these guys out here tonight are way ahead of the others. It will be a similar sort of side that plays the first game that played here. They will get a little piece of that in the second game, a few of the internationals who played in the summer will come in I hope.

'Hopefully in Portugal the internationals can get up to the fitness levels of some of these guys. It was nice to see the way we played here.”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2366254/Alan-Pardew-hopes-sign-Darren-Bent-Newcastle-weekend.html#ixzz2ZFxFmOuD

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I'm starting to think that there is some preordained destiny of Bent coming here, ever since he turned down Sir Bobby Robson.

It his like he was always meant to be here.

Perhaps this destiny is that he will score the winner in the FA Cup Final.

I have heard that our transfer decisions are played out in a game of tug of war. A photo of a player is stuck in the middle of the rope and the various stakeholders choose what side to go on. The team that gets the player over their line wins the decision.

Therefore getting someone over the line is literally getting someone over the line.

Guest Phil K

Perhaps this destiny is that he will score the winner in the FA Cup Final.

Sadly Newcastle and "winning things" go together like matter and anti-matter