Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

Totally underrated by so many out there - he had some real tricky feet and was strong too.

Canny squad player but no more than that.

We were 3rd with him starting every game. Some squad player. And don't give me any shit about Ryan Taylor or Danny Simpson. Best was vital to the way we played in the first third of the season.

He scored the same number in that spell in a similar number of games as Gouffran did second half of last season and you've just said you don't think he'll score or make enough in this country. I thought Best did a job but I'd take Gouffran every time.

Yes Best was good, and now when we have Cisse and play 4-3-3 we simply dont have good enough players out wide (HBA injured alot last season) so we don't function as well as we should with Cisse. That and tactics/negative foootball with no movement as well of course.

Best made plenty of goals with his presence, running, clever touches and unselfishness. Cisse would get far more with Best next to him, that's for sure.

Agree with this. Best may not be a 15-20 goal a season type player, but he would sure make his strike partner one. Selfless, strong, clever and a good striker of the ball with that left peg of his. He's a different player to Gouffran, so I'd not compare the two - but we sorely miss someone like Leon who I still rate very highly. Obviously.

Best made plenty of goals with his presence, running, clever touches and unselfishness. Cisse would get far more with Best next to him, that's for sure.

Don't disagree with much you say but I think you're wrong here. I think Gouffran will get goals. He's essentially a striker yet looked far more of a goal threat than what Ba or Cisse did as well as Best imo.

Resigned to the fact that they'll spend the entire summer hammering out the perfect deal to land Bent, leaving the rest of the squad barren come the start of the season.

With some time saved for a Zoggy bid.

Things are getting really bad if we're starting to pine for Leon Best.

Not at all, he was a very adequate squad player.

I reckon we will miss Perch next season too when Williamson is up against someone quick or Gosling is getting games in midfield/Tiote is giving away easy passes or playing up to his Chuck Norris persona.

He was good for us. Wouldn't want him starting in an ideal world but he's the 3rd best ST we've had in our books post-Carroll after Ba and Cisse. Would've been a great option to have last season.

I reckon we will miss Perch next season too when Williamson is up against someone quick or Gosling is getting games in midfield/Tiote is giving away easy passes or playing up to his Chuck Norris persona.

You're right but I do understand his point. When Best left quite a lot of us perhaps stupidly accepted it as we thought we were moving on to better things and that he would be upgraded suitably that summer.

Also I think even the most negative of fans didn't envisage JFK turning back up and casting his spell. I wasn't to sad to Best leave but given our circumstances at the moment he'd probably be welcomed back.

He was a good partner for Ba, and he really stepped up when we sold Carroll. Never going to be prolific though - unbelievable that he didn't score for us in the Championship when we were getting 3 or 4 at home most weeks.

I didn't rate Leon Best at all. I think he is thoroughly average. He was also injured a lot during his time here and spent most of last season the same way.

better than (Nigerian) Shola.

I don't understand the relevance of this comment. Shola is Geordie to the core, and if we are taking strikers only on the basis of being an improvement on Shola, we will end up with Jermaine Easter.

Well yeah. I just don't know why some people are talking about an adequate squad player as a way forward in our current predicament, or as a great missed opportunity. We've got to aim for better.

To be fair on him, he looked like a player who had worked very hard on his fitness and technique, but he couldn't quite overcome his inbuilt limitations. Bit too slow and a bit too clumsy.