The other games today - 2013/14

JH

Well, I was just pointing out that talking about Spurs possibly buying 4 class players at €25m piecemeal is justified :D

Adebayor-Soldado is a class forward setup on paper, if Adebayor is arsed. Dunno about their backups though, that looks far more suspect.

I think they have a very talented team and other players would shine more without Bale. in attack I expect Paulinho to be a top signing, Holtby to be much better, Soldado to do very well.

:thup:

Portsmouth 1-4 Oxford. Wonder if this will just be their Norwich 1-7 Colchester moment.

Result aside, Pompey set a division attendance record today and have sold 10,000+ ST"s. Great stuff.

Without Bale they seem to have some of the same problems as us, a very solid defence when no-one is injured, very shallow quality up front (worse than us arguably, Cisse on his first 6 months form is better than Adebayor and Defoe imo, not that he's demonstrated he can do that again yet) and some quality players but no-one really that good wide. I can't help quite thinking their squad is quite lightweight, in that good for a fair few wins against the heavyweights when everything clicks but not made out for the full season and will always fall behind arsenal in the last bit of the season for that reason.

Soldado will help a lot up front but imo but Bale's been covering up for the fact that AVB couldn't (understandably perhaps) fit Dempsey (not a problem now i guess), Sigurson, Holtby and Dembele into the same team

Even if he did fit them they're no better than Spurs level anyway.

Their problem will be they've sold their only world class player and replaced him with no world class players.

If Man U have the drop in level everyone is expecting, and Everton are likewise, (actually I was going along with theory more points available to nab by some, but considering they usually grab points from the top 4 may actually just make life easier for them) I wonder if the number of points needed to break into the top 4 will be lower than last. I also don't believe there aren't bargain great players still around that the "top" teams are too lazy to look for.

Without Bale they seem to have some of the same problems as us, a very solid defence when no-one is injured, very shallow quality up front (worse than us arguably, Cisse on his first 6 months form is better than Adebayor and Defoe imo, not that he's demonstrated he can do that again yet) and some quality players but no-one really that good wide. I can't help quite thinking their squad is quite lightweight, in that good for a fair few wins against the heavyweights when everything clicks but not made out for the full season and will always fall behind arsenal in the last bit of the season for that reason.

Soldado will help a lot up front but imo but Bale's been covering up for the fact that AVB couldn't (understandably perhaps) fit Dempsey (not a problem now i guess), Sigurson, Holtby and Dembele into the same team

main problem for me is they lack any kind of like for like replacement for Bale or Lennon, when both are playing their pace brings a different dimension to the side but without its Sigurdson or (I think) Holtby out there and it just doesn't work as well. Might be different now with Soldado as Defoe lack the true top level quality that they need to get into the CL and while Adebayor has it, he's doesn't show it consistently enough

They are going to struggle to replace Bale with similar quality players like they did when they sold Modric and VdV.

Instead of getting genuine quality top level footballers they got Dembele, Sigurdsson and Dempsey.

No disrespect to them they are good players but they are CL level like the ones they have sold.

I suspect the same will happen again with Bale but on a bigger scale.

I'd take Adebayor + Defoe over Cisse man.

Lennon would moonwalk into at least 15 starting line-ups in the league.

When you build the team for one man to shine other players will suffer.

Well it's difficult because both defoe and adebayor can be infuriatingly inconsistent like Cisse, I think Defoe is probably the better all round striker than Cisse but I can't quite see him go on that uber efficient chance conversion run cisse managed either. I'd take Defoe mind, Adebayor has an awful attitude and I'd stay well clear of.