The other games today - 2013/14

JH

That's bollocks too. World class used to mean good enough to get in a world XI, but I think having a team that plays together is more important to winning the CL. Bad portent he's scrambling for crap excuses in advance. Well, bad for them, joyous for everyone else.

He's spot on mind.

Absolutely, and it's been the case for at least a couple of years with them. The fans won't like him saying it though.

30 million pounds is more than enough to buy a world class player, especially when you are a club of Manchester United stature. This is what Hazard cost. This is more than the price of Mata. Isco could have been acquired for this price. You could have three copies of Aubameyang for this. Gotze was also purchased for a similar amount.

You cannot spend that amount on Fellaini and then complain that the team lacks world class talent on month later.

He's spot on mind.

Absolutely, and it's been the case for at least a couple of years with them. The fans won't like him saying it though.

30 million pounds is more than enough to buy a world class player, especially when you are a club of Manchester United stature. This is what Hazard cost. This is more than the price of Mata. Isco could have been acquired for this price. You could have three copies of Aubameyang for this. Gotze was also purchased for a similar amount.

You cannot spend that amount on Fellaini and then complain that the team lacks world class talent on month later.

That's only true if they bought Fellaini instead of other world class options. They have missed out on other targets because the hierarchy are incompetent, then signed Fellaini because Moyes likes him. Doesn't have any relevance to whether their squad is good enough. Which it clearly isn't.

That's only true if they bought Fellaini instead of other world class options. They have missed out on other targets because the hierarchy are incompetent, then signed Fellaini because Moyes likes him. Doesn't have any relevance to whether their squad is good enough. Which it clearly isn't.

true to form a rational perspective ian but at the end of the day they had money to spend and watched top class players go elsewhere then chose to buy fellaini...in the unforgiving world of PL football, and succeeding the most successful manager in PL history (maybe ever i'm not sure) it was nothing but an abject failure

if they'd paid 10m for fellaini then i'm sure no-one would care, but they paid nearer 30m for him

preposterous

He's spot on mind.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMlQypNLjBBP6Wj_D57SjI0c3q96MukQ4PKZ8ff1XLTI3lATym

Eh, they were beaten in the final by one of the teams Moyes mentioned :lol:

They got to the final without spending the millions on WC players, currently above Bayern in the league and won the league over them 2 out of the last 3 seasons.

Its just an excuse poor coaches use to make up for their lack of ability.

Schmeichel was spot on about Torres there (MOTD2) but the other pundits completely bottled it.

What did he say?

He said that Torres scratch had no place in football, it was as bad as the Suarez bite and if it was Suarez people would be calling for another 8 games ban etc.. but the other pundits were all "Really!?" and just seemed a bit too scared to actually commit to an opinion.

Biting/scratching/spitting are all disgusting actions imo so should be dealt with as harshly as possible. Obviously someone like Suarez who does these things so often should be punished more harshly every time.

Schmeichel also mentioned how Suarez is the back page of the papers today but hardly any of them have highlighted the scratch form Torres or really condemned him for it. I have only read one paper but it certainly didn't make a big thing of it imo.

There's a couple of exceptions (Porto, Liverpool) but in the last 12 years or so teams who've won it have had a considerably better first Xl than the current Man U side.

I agree with that of course, but I'm just saying that an even higher percentage of CL winning teams work as a team (whatever their philosophy is). I think that stretches even further to include the PL - I wouldn't say for example that Man Utd had the best collection of individuals last season but they had by far the best team.

Schmeichel was spot on about Torres there (MOTD2) but the other pundits completely bottled it.

What did he say?

He said that Torres scratch had no place in football, it was as bad as the Suarez bite and if it was Suarez people would be calling for another 8 games ban etc.. but the other pundits were all "Really!?" and just seemed a bit too scared to actually commit to an opinion.

:lol: It is nowhere near as bad.How can you compare a scratch, that is probably more a badly executed slap when not looked at in slow motion to what Suarez has done twice? I have been scratched or slapped a fair number of times in my life, but if anyone ever intentionally and forcefully bit me on the neck or shoulder, they would now be dead and I would be imprisoned or living the life of a fugitive.

But they didn't win it, as they were beaten by the side who have "5 world class players" :lol:

Doesn't matter.... they clearly had enough to win the game just got unlucky on the day and getting to the final is proof enough you don't spend 100s of millions to go far.

I don't remember ever seeing Ferguson bitching getting to 3 finals in 4 years and winning one of them when he had Park Ji Sung and Giggs in midfield and nothing like the investment Moyes is asking for.

As i said its just an excuse coaches use when they are out of their depth.

Besides its their own problem.... if they want more WC players they shouldn't spend 102m on Jones, Anderson, Young, Zaha and Fellaini

What did he say?

:lol: It is nowhere near as bad.How can you compare a scratch, that is probably more a badly executed slap when not looked at in slow motion to what Suarez has done twice? I have been scratched or slapped a fair number of times in my life, but if anyone ever intentionally and forcefully bit me on the neck or shoulder, they would now be dead and I would be imprisoned or living the life of a fugitive.

Disagree, not sure how it looked in slow motion compared to real time makes a difference either?

He was talking about what he did, not what it looked like he did.

The bite (Ivanovic) and scratch basically made the same amount of real damage, neither should be accepted but one seems to have practically been swept under the carpet.

But they didn't win it, as they were beaten by the side who have "5 world class players" :lol:

Doesn't matter.... they clearly had enough to win the game just got unlucky on the day and getting to the final is proof enough you don't spend 100s of millions to go far.

I don't remember ever seeing Ferguson bitching getting to 3 finals in 4 years and winning one of them when he had Park Ji Sung and Giggs in midfield and nothing like the investment Moyes is asking for.

As i said its just an excuse coaches use when they are out of their depth.

Besides its their own problem.... if they want more WC players they shouldn't spend 102m on Jones, Anderson, Young, Zaha and Fellaini

:lol: You've flew off the handle here as bit like Mole. I'm just saying, using a team who didn't win the Champions League as an example of how you don't need 5 world class players to win the champions league didn't really make much sense. It was throwaway comment, I know you don't need "5 world class players" to win the Champions League, or any other cup/competition.