The other games today - 2013/14

JH

I know I may get jumped up on this, and I'm not denying that Bale is great, and that Ronaldo and Messi aren't either, they're all fantastic, but the Spanish league is a bit poor and as such the insane focus on goal scored stats to justify how good players are makes a mockery of it. I feel sorry for the absolutely insanely good midfielders and defenders (and goalies) throughout the leagues who never in a hope of hell get a chance of being considered as good as Ronaldo etc because of this obsession with goal statistics. Lahm etc should easily be in with a shout for the Ballon D'or. Or even for great strikers in countries where teams at the bottom bother defending.

Good reasons I guess why not, everyone remembers the great goals and not the patient build up play but it frustrates me a bit. Also I am aware that La Liga has some great teams that aren't barca or real madrid, and there's plenty of entertainment to be had, but the league needs to get it's finances in order and for it to be a good 'top' league it needs more competitiveness. (as does bundesliga atm for all the hype, this is tougher to find why mind, not quite as inequal iirc).

You are correct. I doubt either of them would get more than 30 goals per season in England or Italy. The bad teams in Spain have a real losers mentality

I know I may get jumped up on this, and I'm not denying that Bale is great, and that Ronaldo and Messi aren't either, they're all fantastic, but the Spanish league is a bit poor and as such the insane focus on goal scored stats to justify how good players are makes a mockery of it. I feel sorry for the absolutely insanely good midfielders and defenders (and goalies) throughout the leagues who never in a hope of hell get a chance of being considered as good as Ronaldo etc because of this obsession with goal statistics. Lahm etc should easily be in with a shout for the Ballon D'or. Or even for great strikers in countries where teams at the bottom bother defending.

Ronaldo and Messi are two freaks of nature and it's not as if their goal tallies are what you would expect, they're so far ahead of everybody else over the last few years it is insane. That's why the amount of goals gets lauded and so it should as well.

Agreed, the only problem i have with it is when its lauded more than winning trophies.... that's when i draw the line.

Scoring loads of goals is great but if you don't win trophies with it then what is it really? Trophies are the be all and end all at the very top and if you don't get that then the praise you get for scoring should be lower personally.

That's how i feel though, i'd praise winning the CL than scoring loads and winning nothing.

Real and Barcelona aren't really needing Ronaldo or Messi to win games in their leagues easily. Real looked as comfortable as ever this week without CRonaldo, and Barcelona bar the Ajax match have really been solid without Messi across the whole team. They're great players, but I do wonder how these teams would do without them.

There's also not really a great lot of quality around at the back these days either. Certainly not compared to 20 years ago anyways IMO.

True, I have troubles thinking of one top top central defender excl. Thiago Silva. He is for me the only game changing central defender in the world at the moment. One who can dominate the absolute best. (non-biased opinion)

Ronaldo and Messi are two freaks of nature and it's not as if their goal tallies are what you would expect, they're so far ahead of everybody else over the last few years it is insane. That's why the amount of goals gets lauded and so it should as well.

Agreed, the only problem i have with it is when its lauded more than winning trophies.... that's when i draw the line.

Scoring loads of goals is great but if you don't win trophies with it then what is it really? Trophies are the be all and end all at the very top and if you don't get that then the praise you get for scoring should be lower personally.

That's how i feel though, i'd praise winning the CL than scoring loads and winning nothing.

if your reffering to the Balon D'or then the sheer brilliance of the individual should be the key judgement after all Ronaldo on a performance level has clearly been better than Ribery while good and won numerous trophys it was much more a team performance from Bayern than it being down to how brilliant Ribery was

if your reffering to the Balon D'or then the sheer brilliance of the individual should be the key judgement after all Ronaldo on a performance level has clearly been better than Ribery while good and won numerous trophys it was much more a team performance from Bayern than it being down to how brilliant Ribery was

Just in general really.... even without Ronaldo's goals they probably still would be 3rd in La Liga and they probably still would have finished 2nd last season.

He didn't really impact how successful their season was or so far this year..... Where as the only game Ribery missed last year Bayern lost.

Balon D'or is basically an MVP award and Ribery was more valuable but i don't want to start that again :lol:

Just to say i'd rather praise winning trophies over stats, no matter how impressive they maybe.

Good reasons I guess why not, everyone remembers the great goals and not the patient build up play but it frustrates me a bit. Also I am aware that La Liga has some great teams that aren't barca or real madrid, and there's plenty of entertainment to be had, but the league needs to get it's finances in order and for it to be a good 'top' league it needs more competitiveness. (as does bundesliga atm for all the hype, this is tougher to find why mind, not quite as inequal iirc).

You are correct. I doubt either of them would get more than 30 goals per season in England or Italy. The bad teams in Spain have a real losers mentality

Ronaldo scored 31 Prem goals in 2007/2008 :troll:

I said a good 2 years ago that CRon will eventually be regarded as a better player than Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima, and ironically, I can only recall Ronaldo agreeing with me.

They are the 2 best to ever play the game.

TBF both score a shit load against any team in the world, I get your point about midfielders and so on, but you can't take away the fact that Ronaldo has scored like 3in2 against Juve this season and Messi scored bunch of goals against big teams last season.

Ronaldo scored 31 Prem goals in 2007/2008 :troll:

Fair enough I had forgotten about that but the bad teams in the prem wouldn't play a stupidly high line against the best team in the league

I said a good 2 years ago that CRon will eventually be regarded as a better player than Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima, and ironically, I can only recall Ronaldo agreeing with me.

People have very short memories when it comes to R9.

Thankfully only a fool would think that.  But there is no doubt he is the 3rd best of this generation behind these 2.

R9 had everything, but was still just short of the level of football being played by CRONMESSI.

Thankfully only a fool would think that.  But there is no doubt he is the 3rd best of this generation behind these 2.

R9 had everything, but was still just short of the level of football being played by CRONMESSI.

:lol:

Talent wise, I'd say he was on par with Messi, unfortunately he was injured way too much. You know how we all give excuses to players for having been injured for a long time? Well that wasn't needed for the real Ronaldo, he was out for two years, came back scored like 7 in 10 and then won a World Cup. Neither of the two we have today would do that. I'd argue in the past decade

1. Messi

2. Ronaldo/Zidane

3. CRonaldo/Iniesta