The other games today - 2013/14

JH

Switzerland beating Brazil.

And not completely undeserved. They look very smooth on the ball their team and we look disjointed once again even if I'd say we've been the more dangerous side.

I think the answer for Germany is somewhere in the middle. Flip's right in that Mertesacker and Schmelzer aren't that great, but they should be good enough to not let up 3 against Paraguay. Doubt 4-3-3 helps very much.

:thup:

But it's a friendly. I mean they could change Lahm and Hummels for worse players, they still shouldn't be conceding 3 against Paraguay.

England's defence is not better than that like.

England's defence is not better than that like.

Of course it isn't. Don't know what he's on about.

Haven't watched England national side play, but I do think a defence of Johnson - Terry - Cahill - Cole/Baines is probably on par if not better than that. Might be down to the fact that I don't rate Hummels the way most on here seem to do. Lahm I have down as the best RB, but for me the remaining three are very average. Terry - Cahill for me is a better pairing than Hummels - Mertesacker. But once again it's all down to my opinion of Hummels.

Paraguay 2-3 up in Germany :icon_scratch:

That's why they won't win the World Cup, awful defensively.

Was looking at their starting four.

Lahm - Mertesacker - Hummels - Schmelzer

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's actually not even close to being a good enough WC winning back four. Italy, Brazil, Spain even England, all have better. Thing is though, they and Argentina have the best offensive power in the world.

Lahm is the best RB in the world, Mertesacker was part of the Arsenal team that conceded the second least goals in the league last year, Hummels and Schmelzer are part of the Dortmund back 4 that got to the CL final last year and won the Bundesliga the two previous years.

Problem isn't the individuals, its how the team defends as a unit as it is with any team.

Individuals are overplayed.

The problems is always the team, but neither Mertesacker, Hummels or Schmelzer (are IMO anyhow) top class defenders. Hummels is the better of the three, but the times I've seen Mertesacker and Schmelzer commit mistakes is unbelievable.

As for talking about defenders. Dani Alves just scored heck of an own goal :lol:

Probably right they ain't top class, well Hummels is IMO but that's a discussion for another day.

But are Dani Alves and Marcelo top class defenders? is even Luiz? but you protect them extremely well and defend well as a unit.

Even Argentina have an average defense on paper but over the last year to 18 months they have looked solid as a unit and as a result conceded a lot less goals regardless of the ability of the defenders.

Germany's problem is exactly that, fix that and they will be fine irrelevant if Mertesacker or Schmelzer are in the back 4 or not.

I don't think they will win the WC anyway but i don't see it being a major issue as why they don't.

I'm not disagreeing at all that it's the unit btw, I'm just saying that it becomes harder to have a great unit when individually you don't have great defenders.

As for Brazil's defence I do think that both our fullbacks are much better than Schmelzer and I have seen us over and over again to tell you that without Thiago Silva we would leak goals.

Fair enough, as for the Schmelzer comment i meant as defenders not players.

Quite obviously that Marcelo and Alves are probably about 5 leagues above him in terms of ability.

I meant as defenders as well. :thup: I really don't rate Schmelzer, for me always the weakest link for Borussia.

Benteke suspected broken leg. Might mean Bent stays.

@eaamalyon 27s

How do people fall for these things so easily? Just a simple check tells you Benteke finished the game and didn't break his bloody leg.

Zlatan is insanely awesome, man.

Why? Because he scored two easy goals and then scored a free-kick my grandmother would've saved? But yeah, he's a very good player :lol:

Another four goals for Zlatan. Yeah he's s***.

He's actually a very good player, one of the best in the world, but to say he scored four is a bit of an exaggeration.

I'm not sure we'd even be a country without Zlatan (hattrick tonight), but what a f***ing goal Anders Svensseon scored tonight (yes, the former Southampton s*** midfielder).

And all Norwegians on here can suck it.

:lol:

Anders Svensson is easily Sweden's best midfielder. Should be starting.