Rangers 1 - 1 Newcastle United - pretend you know how it went from page 18

Decky

Sissoko aside (and even him not that much) we have no players who want to run past the striker.

it's a chicken and egg thing, are they all naturally conservative and static or is it a by-product of pardew's approach over 2 seasons?

A little bit of column A and a little bit of column B I'd suspect.

Jonas and Ben Arfa (briefly) no different under the managers before him.

Sissoko aside (and even him not that much) we have no players who want to run past the striker.

it's a chicken and egg thing, are they all naturally conservative and static or is it a by-product of pardew's approach over 2 seasons?

I'd put it down to Pardew myself, especially as his teams have been pretty much doing this for a good while now,  regardless of which players come in.

A little bit of column A and a little bit of column B I'd suspect.

Jonas and Ben Arfa (briefly) no different under the managers before him.

agree, but i've always thought benny should be the guy on the ball picking the pass not the guy making the off the ball run...he's outstanding at that, it's why i was excited about sissoko before pardew got involved

anita could do imo, quick enough and intelligent enough to pick a run at the right time, plus he'd be able to use it when in space

would have to be coached though, they'd have to recognise it as a serious problem, which i don't think they do

If it makes you feel any better, if results were judged on pre-season, we'd currently be mid-table with 11 points. 

Definite reason to start panicking *sarcasm*.

BRDqeBKCcAAv5E4.png:large

#netd

Well, borrowed that picture from twitter, but it just puts things into a little bit of perspective.

Didn't we get beat off some shite teams the season we finished 5th?

I'm no fan of Pardew, but I'm not going to judge ANY team on pre-season results or performances. 

Man City have been poor as have Man U, but are they being dismissed as non-title contenders?

Guest bimpy474

This a major problem with Pardew's tactics, he clearly prefers his team to be tight and not give things away (71 conceded last season :lol:). But this approach is affecting the players we have, i would say Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Gouffran, Cisse, Remy(when he plays) and to an extent Cabaye. Are all affected badly and Pardew is taking away from their games things that would benefit the team.

I see Pardew tactics as having a suffocating effect on those players. We simply play with zero freedom and our lack of chances and goals scored reflect it.

This a major problem with Pardew's tactics, he clearly prefers his team to be tight and not give things away (71 conceded last season :lol:). But this approach is affecting the players we have, i would say Sissoko, Ben Arfa, Gouffran, Cisse, Remy(when he plays) and to an extent Cabaye. Are all affected badly and Pardew is taking away from their games things that would benefit the team.

I see Pardew tactics as having a suffocating effect on those players. We simply play with zero freedom and our lack of chances and goals scored reflect it.

He definitely needs to let out the reins a bit. Hopefully he will realise that before it's too late.

Guest bimpy474

He definitely needs to let out the reins a bit. Hopefully he will realise that before it's too late.

And he can do this without being careless. It doesn't have to be all out attack or all out suffocation. Which seems to be the daft things argued on here. There is middle ground to be found.

Fair point matty, but I don't think many other teams have chosen as poor opposition. Braga should be the best indicator yet.

Pacos de Ferreira - Third place in the Portguese League last year and above Braga? 

Anyhow, as I say, I don't wish this to be 'woaaah pre-season means nowt' kind of arguement, or Pardew still isn't getting this right, as he's not.  I just feel that, like every year, things are taking far too seriously by fans during pre-season.

It is about fitness, technique, stamina and working on systems.  Results are really un-important. 

Mainly as were bored, there's fuck all happening transfer wise and this is all we have to talk about.

Guest bimpy474

you're right about the 5th season mind, iirc we didn't win a game or something

We won a game in the US of A didn't we ?.

Fair point matty, but I don't think many other teams have chosen as poor opposition. Braga should be the best indicator yet.

Pacos de Ferreira - Third place in the Portguese League last year and above Braga? 

Anyhow, as I say, I don't wish this to be 'woaaah pre-season means nowt' kind of arguement, or Pardew still isn't getting this right, as he's not.  I just feel that, like every year, things are taking far too seriously by fans during pre-season.

It is about fitness, technique, stamina and working on systems.  Results are really un-important. 

Mainly as were bored, there's f*** all happening transfer wise and this is all we have to talk about.

Only just, and Braga are always there or thereabouts and have been in the CL a fair bit.

But yeah, I get the point. It's not the be all and end all but I think pre-season can be a bigger indicator of things to come than it's being given credit for.

only your second quote is relevant, i said "aren't particularly bothered" and you said it was a "slight concern"

splitting hairs tbh

Oh sorry should a pre-season friendly draw against Rangers have me shitting bricks, my apologies sir. Carry on then.

i don't know what point you're making, you quoted me then quoted yourself presumably in an attempt to show my quote was wrong...i was saying it wasn't really

Because your original finger pointing at me was directed at my worries about last nights result which wasn't big enough because i'm only 'slightly bothered'. So how bothered are you? How bothered should i be about a pre-season draw? Your the one who picked names out and pointed towards our only slight concerns, why don't you inform me how i should feel about last nights result?

I've said this explanation numerous times now. I'm sure you'll find it somewhere. Adding Remy to the list of players only enhances my belief the players will stand up and be counted this season. Krul, Debuchy, MYM, Colo, Santon, Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko, HBA, Remy, Cisse...that's a thereabouts lineup against West Ham, anyone who looks at that and thinks we are in trouble again next season must have serious pessimistic issues. Because that side to me turns me on to be quite frank. I've placed my trust in Pardew to deliver, for me personally he’s had one good season, one bad season, I’m now backing him for another good season. I’m well aware the majority on here see things differently and I accept the way you wish to look at things, be it negative patter and just plain hatred patter, entirely your choice in which you look and choose to support the team. Don’t want to create another stir and for replies to fly back to well he never did this, he does this wrong, he plays there, shouldn’t play there and for me to go into Pardew’s excuse book to back him up. We all have the opinions on the quality of our side and Pardew’s managerial ability, only time will tell us whose judgement is actually correct.

Time doesn't have to tell us anything about Pardew, it already has and he's not very good.  :lol:

Mainly as were bored, there's fuck all happening transfer wise and this is all we have to talk about.

:thup:

I've said this explanation numerous times now. I'm sure you'll find it somewhere. Adding Remy to the list of players only enhances my belief the players will stand up and be counted this season. Krul, Debuchy, MYM, Colo, Santon, Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko, HBA, Remy, Cisse...that's a thereabouts lineup against West Ham, anyone who looks at that and thinks we are in trouble again next season must have serious pessimistic issues. Because that side to me turns me on to be quite frank. I've placed my trust in Pardew to deliver, for me personally he’s had one good season, one bad season, I’m now backing him for another good season. I’m well aware the majority on here see things differently and I accept the way you wish to look at things, be it negative patter and just plain hatred patter, entirely your choice in which you look and choose to support the team. Don’t want to create another stir and for replies to fly back to well he never did this, he does this wrong, he plays there, shouldn’t play there and for me to go into Pardew’s excuse book to back him up. We all have the opinions on the quality of our side and Pardew’s managerial ability, only time will tell us whose judgement is actually correct.

Time doesn't have to tell us anything about Pardew, it already has and he's not very good.  :lol:

Thanks for the opinion Mick  :slowclap:

Was at the game last night and was quite optimistic of seeing a good performance since Pardew had probably his preferred first XI....how disappointed was I!! 1st half we lined up 4-3-3 with Ben Arfa and Jonas out wide and Sissoko in the no. 10 role although when our 2 wide players end up playing as deep as Pardew wants them to it was more like a 4-4-1-1.

We did play some decent stuff in the first half but just like last season we lacked any killer instinct, happily passing from side to side hoping someone can create a chance!!! Jonas was probably our most dangerous outlet, leaving their full back trailing on numerous occasions but as usual had no end product to cause any danger!! Ben Arfa doesnt look ready at all for the new season, not sharp enough and was easily pushed off the ball quite a few times, although he did have one excellent effort fly just inches over the bar.

2nd half we changed formation to 4-4-2,  this is when Sissoko moved out to the right and Gouffran went up top with Cisse. We were absolutely rotten after this with Rangers looking the most likely to get a 2nd goal. Cabaye spent most of the game more intent on trying to kick players and Tiote was reasonably quiet until he almost took 2 players clean out within seconds before he was subbed!! The 2nd half improved when the subs came on for the last 10/15 mins, Sammy Ameobi had a few decent runs down the left forcing a few corners but even so our goal came from an error by the rangers full back.

Overall it was a poor performance, struggling to create clear cut chances and relying on long range efforts, must say Debuchy's volley from our corner in the 1st half was a great effort...unfortunately it was straight at the keeper as anywhere else would have left him no chance. Maybe the players were expecting a walkover but Rangers more than matched us and even gave our defence a fair few problems....big improvement needed for the new season!!!

Cheers for the detailed match review.

As has been said still pre-season but i'd be lying if I said reading that didn't worry me seeing as we're so close now to the the new season.

Does anyone else get the feeling that the only problem Pardew recognised from last season was the lack of strikers? Now he seems to think everything will go smoothly once we sign a couple players upfront.

I'd love to see a manager who had a vision of how the game should be played and would instruct the players based on that. Do we try to keep the ball on the floor and stay in posession? Do we try to counterattack with pace? Do we concentrate on punting it long to our strikers? It's just a mess of everything without any playing identity. They don't seem to have a clear idea what they should do when they get the ball or where they should move when they dont have the ball. Just relying on the individual brilliance of a couple players who are cabable of creating something. Depressing.

good post, and as regards the bit in bold his formula for success when we finished 5th was based on little else than ba and cisse scoring goals out of nothing, so yes i'd tend to agree with you

Think he's hoping Remy will provide the goals out of nothing/'moments of magic' this year.

Pardew says Remy "brings spontaneous kind of finish we lacked at times last year.