English/British talent we should be recruiting

TRon

In short, not many English teams really produce top class talent of their own and if they do they soon fuck off to clubs willing to pay them more. Or they are already at Manchester United so there isn't anywhere else to go unless they fancy a foreign league.

[/thread]

In short, not many teams English really produce top class talent of their own and if they do they soon fuck off to clubs willing to pay them more. Or they are already Manchester United so there isn't anywhere else to go unless they fancy a foreign league.

[/thread]

Plus due to extensive short term thinking and excessive emphasis on the bottom line few teams are willing to take a punt on lower league players because they can cheap (and allegedly proven) foreigners for same/less.

Premya Leeg

In short, not many teams English really produce top class talent of their own and if they do they soon fuck off to clubs willing to pay them more. Or they are already Manchester United so there isn't anywhere else to go unless they fancy a foreign league.

[/thread]

Plus due to extensive short term thinking and excessive emphasis on the bottom line few teams are willing to take a punt on lower league players because they can cheap (and allegedly proven) foreigners for same/less.

Premya Leeg

Getting harder to even get lower league players at a reasonable price. Ince with one year on his contract £8m, Whickham was what? £10m? Dwight Gayle £8m, Zaha £15m etc..

There is something we can all agree on though....

If we are going down the foreign route..... there is no reason at all why we can't heavily scout the likes of Germany, Spain, Portugal, Holland, Italy and even some of the Slavic countries.

Scouting the same country is just a bit shit IMO and restricts what we can do, i liked it at first but we have taken it just a bit too far now IMO.

There is something we can all agree on though....

If we are going down the foreign route..... there is no reason at all why we can't heavily scout the likes of Germany, Spain, Portugal, Holland, Italy and even some of the Slavic countries.

Scouting the same country is just a bit s*** IMO and restricts what we can do, i liked it at first but we have taken it just a bit too far now IMO.

Seconded.

[/thread]

Premya Leeg

Getting harder to even get lower league players at a reasonable price. Ince with one year on his contract £8m, Whickham was what? £10m? Dwight Gayle £8m, Zaha £15m etc..

Getting established lower league players is still pricey, but wasn't there a recent rule change regarding compensation that basically made it so PL clubs can pluck young talent from lower division clubs at a pittance? I hope I'm not misremembering. The issue should be one of better domestic youth scouting?

edit: Think I'm thinking of this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Player_Performance_Plan

Just seen Jordan Rhodes mentioned in another thread, one to add to the mental fees paid for British players list which prompted me to think, do German, Italian, Spanish etc.. teams pay as much as we seem to for players a league or two below them with no experience at the top level?

Are there transfers that are the equivalent of Rhodes (two tiers below the top league at the time) going for £8m?

Just seen Jordan Rhodes mentioned in another thread, one to add to the mental fees paid for British players list which prompted me to think, do German, Italian, Spanish etc.. teams pay as much as we seem to for players a league or two below them with no experience at the top level?

Are there transfers that are the equivalent of Rhodes (two tiers below the top league at the time) going for £8m?

I am not sure about your question however, the "British Premium" won't go away while you have teams willing to gamble on the huge transfer fees. The shame about it all is that you possibly have talent like Les Ferdinand or Ian Wright in the lower league that may never get the chance at the top because of the fees involved.

Rhodes is a quality goalscorer and I believe he would score goals in the Premiership but it would be a massive risk at £8m +

Would definitely like to see us look at other markets. I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly but isn't the French league a target because of the cheap fees and similarity of styles of football, I'm sure I read that somewhere. I don't watch French football so couldn't really comment if it is a similar style of play there.

Doubtful but it's a bit of a false comparison as clubs in lower leagues abroad don't have anywhere near as much capital as Championship clubs do.

Doubtful but it's a bit of a false comparison as clubs in lower leagues abroad don't have anywhere near as much capital as Championship clubs do.

I can't really think of many A-list players that had a sizable career for teams in the lower divisions in Spain though, Villa was probably the last one. Most La Liga clubs do a pretty good job of scooping up talent before they become pros, given the existence of B teams and how easy is to poach a youth player since they can't sign pro contracts until they turn 17 (that's changed this year though).

Rhodes got 28 goals last year which kept Blackburn up so it could be argued he was worth the money.

Your point is still valid in general of course.

He got 28 goals, but it's still unknown whether that will translate to the top level if a premier league club took a punt on him. It's gambling anyway, QPR did the same thing with Remy and his goals didn't keep them up.

I can't really think of many A-list players that had a sizable career for teams in the lower divisions in Spain though, Villa was probably the last one. Most La Liga clubs do a pretty good job of scooping up talent before they become pros, given the existence of B teams and how easy is to poach a youth player since they can't sign pro contracts until they turn 17 (that's changed this year though).

The Spanish football leagues are very different to the English. They have B teams in the second and third tier of the leagues, when we have some massive clubs in the lower divisions. You have 8 teams in the Championship with attendances higher than 20k. A team like Sheffield United has more potential than half the teams in La Liga if you look at what they could do.

Ince would be great, know nothing of Will Hughes tbh.

Looks class the 2 times I've watched him. He'll cost more than every foreigner ever though so it's a pointless pursuit.

Might go after in January Ince unless he has signed a new contract I'm not aware of. Think of all that discount and bargaining power we might have.

Zaha would be worth it when the chance was there, over-priced though. Sinclair and Ince would be decent aquisitions it seems. I'm still kinda amazed about the Milner walk-away... people realize he's actually playing for Shitty? I mean, in playing time...