English/British talent we should be recruiting

TRon

I'm just saying we should get Ince/Sinclair/Hoilett and look out for some youngsters in the English market. I'm not saying go out and sign loads. I just think the LW should be British/HG.

And that only the mega-rich rich teams can get away without a national core. Even bloody Arsenal have a number.

Agree with that totally i also agree with Jack Flash on trying to get more Bigi like talents in the squad.

Just pointing out that the big teams English players majority of time cost an arm and a leg.

We should definitely be doing more in this regard i agree totally.

Just want to point out that this issue was raised in the Gomis thread. So would people rather we signed Bent as he's English? When we are talking about buying players to build an English core there has to be a realistic alternative to our targets right now. But let's be realistic about it. A year ago people were clamouring for us to buy young up and coming Briitsh striker Connor Whickham. Would we have been better off spending £8m on him or Gomis?

The problem, which I think most of the forum are in denial about, is that premier league teams can only have 17 foreign trained seniors. We have 16 so there is only room for one more.

I'm not sure our board would sanction any further unless we manage to sell one of the other foreign players.

So once we sign our next foreign player, any other foreigners are going to have to come off sales of other foreign players.

Looking at the seven English trained players we have, we've got one outstanding, one decent, and one solid backup (Krul, Taylor, elliot) whilst we also have one crock, and three players that feature amongst fan favourites to sell ASAP (Taylor, gosling, Williamson, shola). So to get best out of our squad we need to improve on the English players.

Just want to point out that this issue was raised in the Gomis thread. So would people rather we signed Bent as he's English? When we are talking about buying players to build an English core there has to be a realistic alternative to our targets right now. But let's be realistic about it. A year ago people were clamouring for us to buy young up and coming Briitsh striker Connor Whickham. Would we have been better off spending £8m on him or Gomis?

The problem, which I think most of the forum are in denial about, is that premier league teams can only have 17 foreign trained seniors. We have 16 so there is only room for one more.

I'm not sure our board would sanction any further unless we manage to sell one of the other foreign players.

So once we sign our next foreign player, any other foreigners are going to have to come off sales of other foreign players.

Looking at the seven English trained players we have, we've got one outstanding, one decent, and one solid backup (Krul, Taylor, elliot) whilst we also have one crock, and three players that feature amongst fan favourites to sell ASAP (Taylor, gosling, Williamson, shola). So to get best out of our squad we need to improve on the English players.

Bigiramana? Or are you still talking about over 21?

I don't really see it as a problem, if we have 17 foreign trained players, that's more than enough anyway, if we have to sell to bring in more, why not? It's not like we've got 17 world beaters there. As for the English players, I'm sure like every other club in the premier, we'd like to have more of them pushing for first team places. The ones we've got here aren't good enough, then it becomes a question of how much it costs to recruit players from the lower leagues, and whether they are going to be good enough to go into the first team.

We spent decent money on bringing Bigi here, then it becomes the manager's call whether he thinks he's good enough to play ahead of Tiote or Anita. It doesn't look that way.

We spent decent money on bringing Bigi here, then it becomes the manager's call whether he thinks he's good enough to play ahead of Tiote or Anita. It doesn't look that way.

Personally I would give him a chance ahead of Tiote but he is still pretty young tbf.

A year ago people were clamouring for us to buy young up and coming Briitsh striker Connor Whickham. Would we have been better off spending £8m on him or Gomis?

On this point, If we'd have spent that much on a young player I'd have hoped we'd have given him lots of game time and not just send him out on loan hoping that'll make him really good. As we've found out many times, it's completely pointless buying/having young players then not giving them the chance to step up.

I do thing we need to show more faith in our young players in general. For example Ferguson, who I think showed a lot of promise but was then just ignored.

Got hopes for Bigi and Vuckic at the moment, and Dummett since recently. Hopefully they'll get the chance to play a bit.

We desperately need to get players out on loan earlier, someone made a good point a while back about having clubs who want them which I hadn't really considered but we can't have players at 21/22 who have never played higher than the reserves if we want them to make it here.

Spurs seem to loan about a billion players a season out (especially since they scrapped their reserves).

I do thing we need to show more faith in our young players in general. For example Ferguson, who I think showed a lot of promise but was then just ignored.

Got hopes for Bigi and Vuckic at the moment, and Dummett since recently. Hopefully they'll get the chance to play a bit.

It is the manager himself who usually doesn't trust the younger players, and he's the one who is supposedly pushing for more players with British experience. Those guys will get very little game time this season I'll bet.

Only counting the players aged 22 and more. Still a couple years where we don't have to worry about Bigiramana.

FM tastic

All under 22 & British

Jason Steele (Middlesbrough)

Jack Butland (Stoke)

Luke Shaw (Southampton)

Nathan Baker (Aston Villa)

Lewis Dunk (Brighton & Hove Albion)

Nathanial Clyne (Southampton)     

Tom Ince (Blackpool)

Matt Phillips (Blackpool)

James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Will Hughes (Derby)

Nathan Redmond (Birmingham)

Are all those players as good as they are cracked up to be? I only ask because a couple of seasons ago, everyone was making a fuss about Charlie Adams, and when I said that he looked fairly ordinary to me, it didn't go down well. Since then he's been to Liverpool and sunk back into oblivion. If you could pick some British talent up at a fair price it would make sense, but these days players from the lower leagues are coming with £7m price tags.

Would love Callum McManammun. Regardless of what he did to Haidara, he's got a fire and desire in him most players don't. Saw him for the last few seasons and never thought he'd make it but he seems to get better every day.

I'm just saying we should get Ince/Sinclair/Hoilett and look out for some youngsters in the English market. I'm not saying go out and sign loads. I just think the LW should be British/HG.

And that only the mega-rich rich teams can get away without a national core. Even bloody Arsenal have a number.

Agree with that totally i also agree with Jack Flash on trying to get more Bigi like talents in the squad.

Just pointing out that the big teams English players majority of time cost an arm and a leg.

£7m for Cabaye & Sissoko, or £35m for Allen & Henderson.

The top clubs have a core if good English players because they can afford to pay over the odds for the 'best' British players to fill quotas, etc. Sunderland have signed 10 this summer, don't think a single one is English. Southampton have spent £20m on two foreigners, Swansea only one Englishman. Everton no Englishmen, etc.

I think the only way we could realistically jump a level and compete with the rich clubs is to invest heavily in our Academy. It would take time and patience but if you want British talent that is the way to go. Another way would be taking chances on young, cheap, lower league talent like Villa have been doing. While most of them might not make it in the premier league they will have stuck 'gold' with a few. Otherwise the prices for British players are just too insane for this ownership to ever be interested in (and with good reason).