English/British talent we should be recruiting

TRon

I would take any of those (except McManaman) but none of them are close to Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney etc.. These great/trophy winning sides didn't win things because they had British players in. They won things because they had fantastic British players (with a mix of top class players from around the world).

The Chelsea side of the late 90's got by with Wise & Le Saux, with Jody Morris, John Harley and Terry in the squad, getting games.

The most successful period of that Chelsea had a real balance of British and foreigners. They won 3 trophies in '97 with Wise, Hughes, Minto, Duberry, Newton, Granville etc.

How many trophies have they won since they bought a s*** load of foreigners?

They still had a English captain, a England vice-captain, Ashley Cole and some other British options. Now, they have an all-star team but they still fielded two British players.

Arsenal peaked when they had a few remnants of the old British based side remaining and a few newer English recruits. When they went super foreign, they dipped. You began questioning their heart and battle.

Do you think if they had Evra instead of Cole, and Schweinsteiger instead of Lampard, they would be a noticeably worse side?

I would take any of those (except McManaman) but none of them are close to Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Rooney etc.. These great/trophy winning sides didn't win things because they had British players in. They won things because they had fantastic British players (with a mix of top class players from around the world).

The Chelsea side of the late 90's got by with Wise & Le Saux, with Jody Morris, John Harley and Terry in the squad, getting games.

The most successful period of that Chelsea had a real balance of British and foreigners. They won 3 trophies in '97 with Wise, Hughes, Minto, Duberry, Newton, Granville etc.

How many trophies have they won since they bought a s*** load of foreigners?

They still had a English captain, a England vice-captain, Ashley Cole and some other British options. Now, they have an all-star team but they still fielded two British players.

Arsenal peaked when they had a few remnants of the old British based side remaining and a few newer English recruits. When they went super foreign, they dipped. You began questioning their heart and battle.

As mentioned before, Cole and Lampard were far from cheap and Chelsea managed to produce one top class English player of their own.

It isn't that easy, which is why the England squad now is made up of mostly average players.

Everton?

They have a British core and a lot of PL experience.

Jagielka, Baines, Coleman, Osman and even Anichebe. They've added foreigners obviously but they have a strong British foundation.

Nobody is saying "no foreigners". But you need 2-3 British players in the first team at the very least. There's not a good side in the league without that. At the moment, the closest is probably Chelsea but they've got an All-Star line-up.

Coleman is not British

Anyone who thinks Ferguson had Cleverly, O'Shea, Fletcher, Brown, Phil Neville, Smith, Evans, Welbeck etc around his squad because they were the best he could get needs sectioning.

Why did he have them? Even if you believe in the power of British, you would struggle to argue that you need to fill half your squad with bang average players just because they're local. Surely?

Anyone who thinks Ferguson had Cleverly, O'Shea, Fletcher, Brown, Phil Neville, Smith, Evans, Welbeck etc around his squad because they were the best he could get needs sectioning.

This.

These people want to talk about imaginary situations when Ferguson and even Mourinho, tried to keep a good number of British players in a squad.

He had them because he saw the importance of keeping a core to the squad over long periods of time, making it much easier to transition from squad to squad, hence the astonishing consistency he achieved. This is vastly easier to do with local and English players who are less likely to up sticks or have settling issues than foreign players.

I can't believe I'm having to explain that tbh.

He had them because he saw the importance of keeping a core to the squad over long periods of time, making it much easier to transition from squad to squad, hence the astonishing consistency he achieved. This is vastly easier to do with local and English players who are less likely to up sticks or have settling issues than foreign players.

I can't believe I'm having to explain that tbh.

He also had world class (or as near as) British players like Giggs, Ferdinand, Scholes, Rooney, Carrick, Gary Neville, Beckham plus brilliant foreigners, plus him being one of the best managers ever in the game etc.

Not sure how the list of poor to decent British players proves anything.

More deals like the Bigi one would be a start. Minimal layout for a seemingly good prospect.

Don't know if it's a coincidence or not but our fans are desperate for him to do well and that's a very good thing.

Spot on.

We need 8 English trained players over the age of 21 to fill our squad. It's the laws of the game. At the moment we have 7,and some of these aren't good enough even as squad players, so we do need to improve our English player recruitment.

I'm just saying we should get Ince/Sinclair/Hoilett and look out for some youngsters in the English market. I'm not saying go out and sign loads. I just think the LW should be British/HG.

And that only the mega-rich rich teams can get away without a national core. Even bloody Arsenal have a number.

Just want to point out that this issue was raised in the Gomis thread. So would people rather we signed Bent as he's English? When we are talking about buying players to build an English core there has to be a realistic alternative to our targets right now. But let's be realistic about it. A year ago people were clamouring for us to buy young up and coming Briitsh striker Connor Whickham. Would we have been better off spending £8m on him or Gomis?