Man City 4 - 0 Newcastle United - 19/08/13 - post-'match' reaction from page 63

Dave

Is it too much to ask to compete like a team in the premier league?  If some goat owner cursed Wrigley Field, did somebody bury a Jewish family underneath St. James Park?  At least other teams with this much perpetual turmoil have the decency to just fuck off to the lower divisions and die.  Not us.  We have to have this brief mini-recoveries only for the dagger to be twisted again.

:lol: Aside from the Jewish family, this is where I am. The result was always going to be the result, but they were in midseason "don't give a fuck" form. They can't possibly quit on this guy more than they have, yet we have to wait for the idiot to figure out what needed to be done at least 8 months ago.

Pardew quit on tactics, reason, spine and general likability ages ago.

Guest bimpy474

Thought Cisse started fairly well :dontknow:

Seemed to control the ball well from Krul's goalkicks :thup:

He did, typical knee jerk stuff tonight. Passes to him, immediately crowded by 3 city defenders, no options on, no link between him and midfield (again). Sure his touch was poor tonight  but he's getting slated for not being an out ball target man tonight. He can actually link play just fine (he did it plenty when he first arrived).

Well thank f*** for you two. I know he tailed off badly fairly soon after as things generally descended into farce, but people don't half let rage cloud their judgement on here at times.

While i'm not raging, i tend to think a players first touch is very important, even more so for a front man to bring others into play. He was terrible and has been for ages, hopefully he'll get back to form, giving him a strike partner to hold the ball up will help, but he should be able to do the basics himself.

He was far from terrible at the start, which was all I said initially. Just wanted to bring a bit of balance.

Not disagreeing that his touch has been appalling at times and that it ended up going that way again tonight.

Fair enough, i just thought he was awful over the whole game. Tell you what worries me, when you have a player as jolly as him looking so disinterested and dispirited, there's a lot to worry about.

what would you be saying if he was jolly while we were getting that sort of humping ?

That's not what i meant and you know it.

Just going back to what I said about 2011/12, we went the first 11 Premier League games unbeaten and set up the whole season with basically this side and formation almost exclusively.

Krul

Simpson S.Taylor Coloccini R.Taylor

Obertan Cabaye Tiote Gutierrez

Ba Best

Simpler times. :(

The simplicity of that set-up was perfect for Pardew. Defenders who were just expected to defend; natural width (none of these fancy wide-forward types); one defensive midfielder and one creative midfielder; and two forwards who could thrive on crosses and direct play. Simple and thus effective for a manager who isn't smart enough to handle the more complex set-ups that he tries to think about these days. 

:thup:

Unfortunately I don't think we have the squad to play that kind of thing now, either players have left (and not replaced) or have gone downhill rapidly.

This is the problem with keeping Pardew and yet not backing him in the transfer market. He's shite, you've got to allow for that.

Is it too much to ask to compete like a team in the premier league?  If some goat owner cursed Wrigley Field, did somebody bury a Jewish family underneath St. James Park?  At least other teams with this much perpetual turmoil have the decency to just fuck off to the lower divisions and die.  Not us.  We have to have this brief mini-recoveries only for the dagger to be twisted again.

:lol: Aside from the Jewish family, this is where I am. The result was always going to be the result, but they were in midseason "don't give a fuck" form. They can't possibly quit on this guy more than they have, yet we have to wait for the idiot to figure out what needed to be done at least 8 months ago.

Pardew quit on tactics, reason, spine and general likability ages ago.

They're playing chicken. I don't blame Pardew for not walking. He would have been an idiot to not take that ridiculous fucking deal. Now we just have to wait for the guy in charge to take the loss. If we fluke anything higher than 16th, it'll be a fucking miracle. The entire team has quit. Cabaye heard Arsenal made a bid and he was a puff of smoke. He couldn't fucking wait to break out. Colo just went the fuck home for as long as he could, hoping to get out. Then we that didn't work, he tried to kill that little kid in the friendly. Debuchy was so shit he couldn't even get sent off.

He did, typical knee jerk stuff tonight. Passes to him, immediately crowded by 3 city defenders, no options on, no link between him and midfield (again). Sure his touch was poor tonight  but he's getting slated for not being an out ball target man tonight. He can actually link play just fine (he did it plenty when he first arrived).

Well thank f*** for you two. I know he tailed off badly fairly soon after as things generally descended into farce, but people don't half let rage cloud their judgement on here at times.

While i'm not raging, i tend to think a players first touch is very important, even more so for a front man to bring others into play. He was terrible and has been for ages, hopefully he'll get back to form, giving him a strike partner to hold the ball up will help, but he should be able to do the basics himself.

He was far from terrible at the start, which was all I said initially. Just wanted to bring a bit of balance.

Not disagreeing that his touch has been appalling at times and that it ended up going that way again tonight.

Fair enough, i just thought he was awful over the whole game. Tell you what worries me, when you have a player as jolly as him looking so disinterested and dispirited, there's a lot to worry about.

what would you be saying if he was jolly while we were getting that sort of humping ?

yeah well, he started off holding off lescott a couple of times, backing into him, then decided he couldn't be arsed (or was bullied out).

Guest bimpy474

yeah well, he started off holding off lescott a couple of times, backing into him, then decided he couldn't be arsed (or was bullied out).

You know the general upbeat Cisse, but that's been knocked out of the team completely. Easy to see why it's been knocked out of him too.

Krul was worth more than a 7 IMO. He was fantastic and prevented a genuine arsefucking.

Totally.

I gave him 9 (I'll stand by it, too) and couldn't be arsed to score the rest.

Some fantastic saves. Top drawer player.

yip, still want to see aguero's goal again. think he thought it was going wide and didn't reach for it but not sure.

Guest bimpy474

Agree, I was harsh on Krul tbf.

Can't really choose between Cisse, Taylor, Debuchy, Colo and Tiote for worst player. All of them beyond hopeless.

I'd say Saylor, the other tried badly, but he let the whole team down with such a dumb thing to do.

Can't really choose between Cisse, Taylor, Debuchy, Colo and Tiote for worst player. All of them beyond hopeless.

I'm not sure how Coloccini was one of our worst, in the first half I thought we only had 3 players and Coloccini was one of them along with Krul and Ben Arfa.

I'm not sure how Coloccini was one of our worst, in the first half I thought we only had 3 players and Coloccini was one of them along with Krul and Ben Arfa.

Aye, criminal to see his name alongside those others. Taylor was the worst, with Debuchy not too far behind.

Aye, criminal to see his name alongside those others. Taylor was the worst, with Debuchy not too far behind.

If Taylor didn't club that dude, would Debuchy be the worst? Because Debuchy was the worst.

I'd say Saylor, the other tried badly, but he let the whole team down with such a dumb thing to do.

aye. i've defended saylor in the past from. IMO, over the top criticism on here but tonight he was in turn, poor then stupid.

no doubt one or two will say he's always like that so i'll get my "fuck off and stop talking cack" in early.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/manchester-city-4-newcastle-united-0-toon-armys-blind-faith-gives-way-to-wideeyed-despondency-at-demise-8775373.html

Manchester City 4 Newcastle United 0: Toon army’s blind faith gives way to wide-eyed despondency at demise

The Newcastle fans had never travelled to Manchester so certain of defeat

Tim Rich

Etihad Stadium

Monday 19 August 2013

The favourite to become the first Premier League manager to be sacked stood on the touchline with his legs and arms crossed. Frankly, it was as good a plan as any. You wondered what, other than the word “help”, was written on the pad on which Alan Pardew made entries throughout Newcastle’s long, dreadful night.

Nobody on Tyneside imagined anything else. There are many things that separate Newcastle from Sunderland and one of them is that on Wearside they expect things to go wrong and are seldom disappointed. The Toon Army was always an organisation that marched on blind optimism.

In 1999 they had begun the season by taking one point from their first seven matches under three different managers. Then, in Bobby Robson’s first game at St James’ Park, they thrashed Sheffield Wednesday 8-0. Alan Shearer scored five. The next day, Alan Oliver, the Newcastle Evening Chronicle’s football correspondent, was phoned at his desk by an excited supporter.

“We can do this y’know,” said the voice. Yes, Oliver agreed, he thought so too. However, the men were talking at cross-purposes. The journalist was talking of Newcastle avoiding relegation. The fan was arguing that they could still win the championship. They were then second bottom, 16 points adrift of Manchester United.

That optimism was there in the massed banners and costumes that accompanied Newcastle to successive FA Cup finals under Kenny Dalglish and Ruud Gullit. It was there in the cars that circled St James’ Park with scarves fluttering out of windows and horns blaring as if Newcastle were suddenly Buenos Aires on the night Mike Ashley brought back Kevin Keegan. It was there when they massed in front of the Milburn Stand as Shearer returned in vain attempt to save the club he loved from relegation,

That optimism has been entirely extinguished. Newcastle’s record in Manchester is a dismal one. Since 1972 they have played 54 league fixtures there and won twice, both at Maine Road, but they would never have travelled there so certain of defeat. Last night they sang: “There’s only one Bobby Robson.”

Before the match Moussa Sissoko had declared in the pages of the Evening Chronicle that Manchester City should not be feared. There is, admittedly not much else the midfielder might have said but the interview was greeted with guffaws that sounded the length of the Tyne. One of the most fervently supported clubs in Europe did not sell their ticket allocation for the match.

It was not a performance that would have encouraged Yohan Cabaye to linger. Pardew had remarked that following Arsenal’s bid, he had been withdrawn “for the good of the team”. There may have been a danger that with London and Paris St-Germain calling, Cabaye’s head would be elsewhere. However, it is hard to imagine he would have been less focused than Steven Taylor. The centre-half is a product of the Newcastle Academy and was the only Englishman, let alone Geordie, in Pardew’s starting line-up. Taylor is a decent bloke and in love with his club but so were all of those in the stands wearing black-and-white shirts. Moments after he escaped conceding a penalty for handball, Taylor used his arm to knock Sergio Aguero to the ground to get himself witlessly sent off. It was part of a wider pattern.

But for a fortuitous win over Fulham, Newcastle might have been relegated last season and they look a decent bet this time around. Pardew’s authority has been stripped away, first by the departure of the man who appointed him, the managing director, Derek Llambias and then by the arrival of Joe Kinnear as director of football.

It was a move as wilfully insulting as engaging a firm that the MP for Newcastle Central described as “legalised loan sharks” to sponsor their shirts. Papiss Cissé may not have liked Wonga but, judging from his display at the Etihad, he likes playing as a lone striker even less. Kinnear, a man who once called the midfielder, “Johan Kebab” is the man who presumably will be given the task of encouraging Cabaye to stay.

In his two months in charge of transfers Kinnear has signed one recruit, Loïc Rémy, who has the grace and style the Gallowgate might appreciate but who is also injured, on £80,000 a week and facing a charge of rape. Credible candidates like Ricky van Wolfswinkel, Darren Bent and Pablo Osvaldo have gone to Norwich, Fulham and Southampton, clubs that have nothing like Newcastle’s appeal.

Tim Krul, who made his first save after two minutes and made them repeatedly thereafter, was Newcastle’s lone hero. This was his first match since he dislocated his shoulder in a derby against Sunderland that Newcastle lost 3-0. This, in its own way, would have hurt just as deeply.

:undecided:

Soul destroying stuff.

Guest bimpy474

aye. i've defended saylor in the past from. IMO, over the top criticism on here but tonight he was in turn, poor then stupid.

no doubt one or two will say he's always like that so i'll get my "fuck off and stop talking cack" in early.

:sadnod:

If Taylor didn't club that dude, would Debuchy be the worst? Because Debuchy was the worst.

Taylor's performance was compounded by that moment, but lest us forget that he should have probably had a penalty against him (like Debuchy) before that. While his defending on goal #1 was equally as bad as Debuchy's and his defending on goal #2 was even worse.

If we're just basing it on first half, Taylor was the worst.

Didn't watch it till the end but I agree with people saying he was one of the few players to show something in the game, other than Krul, Sissoko and Hatem.

Saylor was having a mare even before getting sent off, got caught out a good few times before his weak as piss attempt to stop the second goal.