Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

He stands off far too much and allows players to run past him regularly.

I find its the opposite, usually he gets caught out when he presses too quickly, and the wingers dummy it and run past him, as his turning circle is quite slow. It happened with Barrow against Swansea and nearly happened with Sako yesterday. Think he's been really good defensively 99% of the time in the last few matches like and confident he can block crosses when wingers go down the outside

Basically perfect way to sum him up. He's very good in blocking crosses and is quite a good slide tackler. Pretty good in the air as well. Sort of worthless going forward but I'd rather we handle defensive side at this point of the season.

It's a pretty f***ing significant correlation, like. Get a proper defender at LB and you defend better and stop losing games.

Agendas man. I think some people view a left back as a Roberto Carlos or Ashley Cole type.

Yes that's lovely but players with forward flair and defensive nous are rarer than hens teeth. Most have one or the other. Dummett is an excellent defender and one of the few good attitudes in our squad.

Its not agendas, you're both ignoring that the entire defense have been changed since he came back obviously. Lascelles has been key, Mbemba has been good & Anita has been top aswell. Dummett is decent generally, but chances fall his side. Thats my summation.

Colback and Tiote replacing Shelvey and Wijnaldum in CM too. WHY R U IGNORING THOSE 2 M8. DO U HAV AN AGENDA?

Much rather bring in a better LB than Dummett and shift him to the pool of CB's. We know he can cover at LB if the need arises but I still feel he's better in the middle. Mbemba, Lascelles, Dummett and the addition of a quality CB with some experience wouldn't be a bad set to choose from.

Two of the fullback's most important jobs are to stop crosses and defend the far post. He does both far better than most.

Aye. He's aware defensively.

Against City, Rafa spent a lot of his time telling the team and individuals what to do, where to stand, where to move. Especially Anita. Get closer to the CB, get goalside of the attacker  etc. rarely had to intruct PD on his duties.

Contract extension agreed. Rubber stamped by Rafa apparently.

Dummett is one of the last he would look to move on. Does the basics of his position well. Understands defending and has a good 'tude.

atti too much for you?

:lol:

Would keep him. Always gives his all, good defensively, and probably one of our most consistent performers.

I'd like to see us sign another left back that would challenge him though; one that's not made of glass like Haidara.

I have never seen a player look so uncomfortable when attacking.  He never wants to cross the ball and when he does, he usually waits too long to attempt it. 

At one point against Villa, he had acres to run into.  He went about 20 yards, got into their half, then stopped, turned around, ran back into our half and then passed it to someone else :lol:

He is solid defensively, but he doesn't do anything at all when he has the ball at his feet, or when we have possession going forward.

I'll take solid defensively over an attacking left back leaking soft goals any day.

You have to be at least average going forward thoughton, they shouldn't be exclusive of each other.

Exactly, they shouldn't be mutually exclusive.  He is solid defensively, but offers absolutely nothing going forward.  Considering we don't play a left footed winger in front of him.  It really fucks us up.  As we have no width down that side and there is usually loads of space for him to overlap and join in the attack.  But he just doesn't bother, or he can't, because he isn't good enough.

I quite like him and I think he is a really solid defender, TBH.  I just think fullbacks who are comfortable on the ball and are good going forward.  Are pretty important if you want to play decent, passing football.