Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

Ronaldo will be along in a minute to call everyone t***s and claim that Dummett is good at defending.

Despite evidence all season to the contrary and us having to watch the worst team in the Championship give him the run around yesterday. That nutmeg and Dummett passing the ball out for a corner shortly after  :anguish:

Tbf I could see that nutmeg coming a mile off, he's so slow in the head as well :(

How far is Haidara away from challenging for the first team left back slot?  Significantly more athletic player who should be starting ahead of Dummett.

Although I would take Dummett in left back all season if Rafa agreed never to play Colback again!

Haidara's garbage man.

Yes, he is an upgrade in certain aspects on Dummett but, I had forgetten about Lazaar...  Only seen him play once and he didn't look especially assured but, I bet he was quite nervous as it was his debut....

Just play the best defender there, ie Dummett. If there's an issue with our attacking play it isn't because of the LB.

Don't be an idiot, man! Of course a good attacking LB would contribute and make our attack stronger down that side, as well as playing a better LW player would. He's OK at defending some of the time, but let's not kid ourselves that he's good at it. He gets skinned so often. For now he is probably the best option unless we play Clark there at times.  And until Lazaar adapts and settles down.

You probably meant vs Haidara, I don't know. It's just that you always defend Dummett and you seem to like him, while other players get slayed no matter what they do. For example Gouffran is a better player than Dummett. And I don't rate Gouffran either..

Well, yeah, Gouffran does virtually nothing I expect from a winger, that's the difference.

Dummett's an easy target for the mongs because he's so poor with the ball. I could barely care less about that if he defends well - which he does, consistently. Obviously in the PL we need someone who can go forward and defend, though they're never easy to find - I don't think we've had any that fit that description in years. I can pretty much guarantee that player isn't anyone on our books, fwiw.

Just play the best defender there, ie Dummett. If there's an issue with our attacking play it isn't because of the LB.

It is though when a fair few potential attacking opportunities breakdown before they even begin. If he was a quality defender then fine but he's average at best. Another local lad who's going to make a mint out of us until he's at least in his late 20s through nothing more than where he's brought up.

My issue with Dummett on this forum is he is one of those players who will get slated even when he plays well. Dummett does have good games and he has an excellent cross on him (which he has shown in multiple games both in the prem and championship). He also has his limitations and games where he plays badly but I think it creates a very bad atmosphere when players are continually hated on even when they put in performances.

i dont know to what extent fan's opinions of players filter onto the pitch but I think one of the main issues with Dummett is that sometimes he will just rush in and get completely skinned, potentially because the lad is trying too hard, potentially due to some of the abuse he receives (Colback may also be suffering a little in this regard)

Yup, this myth that he's some kind of Maldini at the back is constantly perpetuated by his fanboys in here, even in the face of some of the most atrocious pieces of non-defending we continue to see down that side. He gets done time and time again by anyone remotely creative running down his channel, but he's capable of being solid against maybe 60-70% of teams, which is why he'll always have a career at this club at least, or even at another no-frills top level club. He's basically Simpson, who won the freaking PL under a decent coach. So while he's not the worst option we have, I don't know if a replacement is easy or hard to find, as I no longer play FM and have no idea who we can replace him with. But to call him out for his crap defending at times is only rational.

It's worth noting that under previous NUFC managers Lazaar would have been thrown in at the deep end from the start, and then probably been absolutely shite to the point where his reputation was irreparably bad.

I think and hope he'll be in the squad regularly before the season is up though.

Yup, this myth that he's some kind of Maldini at the back is constantly perpetuated by his fanboys in here

Do you not pay attention, or are you just thick? Such a you post.

Calling people names unprovoked, such a you post. Still hanging onto your balding, Internet hardman persona, Ron? It doesn't suit you well with age :)

Why is there this myth that Dummett can defend? He gets beaten by the opposition winger regularly.

I'd want to see Mbemba play alongside Lascelles with Clark at left back soon.

Because he can't attack so it's used to justify what he offers. That and 'well really he's a centre back'.