NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

:lol: "Good" when knowing full well there's a good chance we'll sign nobody.  Some very imperceptive people on here, it's been 5 or so years of this shit.

Should people be desperate for players they don't even think we should be signing based on the assumption we're unlikely to sign anyone?  If we're unlikely to sign anyone who cares what players we're linked with or what the Journal says on any potential transfer anyway?

Decent improvements to the squad over nobody at all thanks, see the summer when people were saying thank fuck we didn't sign this player or that player because they weren't the perfect signing.  Instead we bought nobody but these people were still presumably still happy as Larry.

I'm sure if most people were given a direct choice between nobody or Zaha on a short term loan they'd go for the later.  But the fact is if we're to assume Zaha is a possibility we have to assume others are as well and in that case why shouldn't we have preferences?  Also I'm still very glad we didn't sign Darren Bent.

I like how one occasion (when seriously threatened with relegation and on a run of 2 wins in 14) is now accepted as the norm.

We've actually bought in every January window since 2010.

So does just about every club in the football league. Whoopy-do.

The point is, just because we invested properly for the first time in years last January doesn't mean we'll do it again.

Signing multiple quality players in January isn't the norm no, but making a signing or two is and that's based on more than one occasion that's all I'm saying.

Not sure about the validity of that first sentence BTW.

:lol: "Good" when knowing full well there's a good chance we'll sign nobody.  Some very imperceptive people on here, it's been 5 or so years of this shit.

Should people be desperate for players they don't even think we should be signing based on the assumption we're unlikely to sign anyone?  If we're unlikely to sign anyone who cares what players we're linked with or what the Journal says on any potential transfer anyway?

Decent improvements to the squad over nobody at all thanks, see the summer when people were saying thank fuck we didn't sign this player or that player because they weren't the perfect signing.  Instead we bought nobody but these people were still presumably still happy as Larry.

I'm sure if most people were given a direct choice between nobody or Zaha on a short term loan they'd go for the later.  But the fact is if we're to assume Zaha is a possibility we have to assume others are as well and in that case why shouldn't we have preferences?  Also I'm still very glad we didn't sign Darren Bent.

I'm making the point that people were doing somersaults that we didn't sign certain players in the summer, then we signed nobody.  Celebrating not signing a player who is better than what we've got (this time in reserve, admittedly) with our record for gleefully leaving our squad short is boneheaded.

Zaha's certainly better than some of our players and I'd be happy to have him normally since he could end up a very good player in the future.  Its the short term loan I don't like and its probably the same for some others here.  I'm not doing somersaults about it, but I can't pretend I'm disappointed that we aren't interested in the deal either.

I was one of the people doing somersaults that we didn't sign Bent or Downing though, don't regret that at all.

I like how one occasion (when seriously threatened with relegation and on a run of 2 wins in 14) is now accepted as the norm.

We've actually bought in every January window since 2010.

So does just about every club in the football league. Whoopy-do.

The point is, just because we invested properly for the first time in years last January doesn't mean we'll do it again.

We bought Cisse and Ben Arfa in January windows like. It's been a lot more fruitful than the summer, I think that's what people are saying.

Still glad we didn't sign Downing tbh. No way he would be in the starting 11 and given how much Ashley hates spending money and counts every penny (including wages over the entire length of the contract) Downing would have taken a big hit on our miniscule budget offering little in return.

I would definitely take Zaha on loan though.

Still glad we didn't sign Downing tbh. No way he would be in the starting 11 and given how much Ashley hates spending money and counts every penny (including wages over the entire length of the contract) Downing would have taken a big hit on our miniscule budget offering little in return.

Yup, Zaha for sure.  Wish we could go after Tom Ince.

Ince is exactly the kind of player we should be targeting, imo. He's not good enough (yet) to get meaningful playing time for one of the big spenders, though they're sure to come calling. Play for Newcastle, or languish on the bench for Chelsea/ManU/City etc.

Nolan, Taylor

Williamson, Best, Routledge

Ben Arfa

Cisse

Debuchy,Mbiwa, Gouffran, Haidara, Sissoko

Cisse is basically the only transfer on that list that wasn't massively influenced by negative circumstances (or in the Championship, a desperate requirement to recover from them); most of them self-inflicted. Genuinely thought it was a change in approach at the time. Wrong.

Nolan, Taylor

Williamson, Best, Routledge

Ben Arfa

Cisse

Debuchy,Mbiwa, Gouffran, Haidara, Sissoko

Cisse is basically the only transfer on that list that wasn't massively influenced by negative circumstances (or in the Championship, a desperate requirement to recover from them); most of them self-inflicted. Genuinely thought it was a change in approach at the time. Wrong.

Indeed. It was simply a rare lapse in principal from Ashley, when he was tempted by the CL megabucks. I doubt we'll see a concious progressive signing like Cisse for a long while.

The only other, I suppose you could argue is 'progressive', was Sissoko - cos we already had several CMs on the books. I was also surprised we signed Haidara, but he cost threepence didn't he. So did Moussa, I guess.

We need to replace Shola f***ing Ameobi, who is still starting Premier League matches for us in 2013/14. I've nowt against the bloke but he's s***. Totally unacceptable situation.

This

Assuming he's any good and assuming he would come to NUFC, you'd think Gomis is the perfect signing to replace Shola. NUFC offered £8m for Gomis in the Summer. NUFC could probably buy Gomis for around £2m in the January transfer window or do a deal where we sign him for 'free' in the Summer. The saving on not having paid out £8m for him would surely easily cover his wages which were supposedly a sticking point last time.

Gomis is having a decent season, 8 in 18. I wonder if Lyon will continue playing hard-ball, cos if we can't get him for the obligatory January £2m, you can see us waiting till the summer.

Miles off the pace for Europe and skint though.

Just browsing his stats on Soccerbase, his goalscoring record is very decent. Just short of 1 in 2. We've seen what a capable target man can bring to this Pardew team (Shola has performed to his hilarious best on the odd occasion this season, and it's been good for us). If Gomis can add a genuine goal threat on top of that then it does seem like the perfect signing.

Gomis is having a decent season, 8 in 18. I wonder if Lyon will continue playing hard-ball, cos if we can't get him for the obligatory January £2m, you can see us waiting till the summer.

Miles off the pace for Europe and skint though.

And that tit Aulas has already admitted that they made a mistake during the summer when they were holding out for more money.

Just browsing his stats on Soccerbase, his goalscoring record is very decent. Just short of 1 in 2. We've seen what a capable target man can bring to this Pardew team (Shola has performed to his hilarious best on the odd occasion this season, and it's been good for us). If Gomis can add a genuine goal threat on top of that then it does seem like the perfect signing.

Aye, I don't think he's brilliant but he does seem to fit what we need quite well.

Guest bimpy474

Why would Aulas learn from a thing at Lille?

Think ON means, we're willing to wait and will simply not pay more than we value a player at. Like we did with Debuchy.

Ince is exactly the kind of player we should be targeting, imo. He's not good enough (yet) to get meaningful playing time for one of the big spenders, though they're sure to come calling. Play for Newcastle, or languish on the bench for Chelsea/ManU/City etc.

Not sure this line of arguement holds much water. It sounds sensible, but I'm not sure Ince would get considerably more game time with us than 'big' teams.

In the same vein as Zaha (or Haidara, or Viana, or Bigi, or Sammy, or Rossi, or Vucic, or Amalfitano, or N'Zogbia, or any number of young players who we have expected good things from), we are a club that has good players, and a certain amount of expectation, but also considerable pressure.

We tend not to throw players in and let them get on with it. We get edgy and stick with pros, simply because we don't have the confidence or number of games that bigger clubs have, or the lack of resources of smaller clubs. Not just Pardew, to a large extent, any of our past managers.