NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

if you look at it logically, why on earth would they be looking to sell this guy who has banged in goals for them, for fairly cheap as well.

Dude! They're Wolfsburg, they just qualified for the Champions League, and have players like De Bruyne and Schurrle! They're operating on a different level man.

He might not be quite what they're loking for, but damnit, I'll have him okay?!

Come on Doon! Stop this nonsense!

Sure if we had signed Sakho last summer peole would have been saying the same types of things. Actually it would have been much worse I'd imagine.

How about letting the guy land, and seeing how his game translates here  :lol:

Sure if we had signed Sakho last summer peole would have been saying the same types of things. Actually it would have been much worse I'd imagine.

This 100x this :thup:

I'd be saying the same if we signed Messi tbf, everything is bad forever.

Look, I'm not being negative for negativity's sake here unlike what some people might think. Think about it: why would a Dutch poster on a NUFC board with a history of defending Dutch and Eredivisie players when they have been (in my opinion) undervalued come out and express dismay at the arrival of a possible Dutch number 9 at Newcastle? I would love nothing more than to see a Dutch striker become a hero at this club. I wanted us to sign Dirk Kuyt back when we were supposedly after him. I have no ulterior motive here, I couldn't possible have.

I hope we don't sign Bas Dost. That doesn't mean I'm writing him off before he's even kicked a ball for us or will not give him a chance because he's not our player yet, and whilst that is the case I sincerely hope we look elsewhere and aim higher. His record isn't all that bad and I will always defend any Eredvisie striker record against the likes of Ronaldo (the poster) who suggest the league is so weak that any striker could score over 30. That said, he scored 77 goals in 163 competitive games in Holland (one season in Jupiler League, 4 in Eredivisie), or slightly under one in two. Take out his "Pardew 5th place season" anomaly and it drops to in 39 in 124, or slightly under one in three.

Wolfsburg shelled out for him when his stock was high (after the anomaly) and at the higher Bundesliga level you would expect a striker with these numbers in Holland to score maybe one in four in a stronger league, which proved to be the case in his first two seasons at Wolsburg (12 in 41 in Bundesliga), where he was a squad player at best despite the fact that they had paid just shy of 10m euros for him.

His hot streak earlier this year for Wolfsburg was seriously impressive, but nobody saw it coming (a bit like Papiss Cisse's streak in his first few months here) and I think nobody who closely follows the German league can realistically see him replicating it, not least Wolsburg which explains why they want to cash in on him while his stock is (once again) high.

Having said all that, his goalscoring record is not my biggest worry with Bas Dost. It is the fact that he is the type of player that needs the team to be built around him and quite frankly, he is not good enough for that to happen at the top level. Considering our current group of players, there is hardly anybody here at this point in time capable of providing him the service he would require to be even considered half decent. Bas Dost is more or less purely a box player, a luxury we sadly cannot afford as we are in deperate need (in my view) of a forward who can transform the way we play offensively, and by this I don't mean hoofing it at the big lump up top, but somebody with some pace, movement and intelligence about him.

A wider criticism would be what this transfer represents, especially coming in the wake of Mike Ashley speaking of Champions League football and talking about the club finally pushing above its weight. Bas Dost is to the Newcastle number 9 shirt what Steve McClaren is to the Newcastle hot seat: utterly underwhelming and a sign not of renewed ambition, but of ingrained mediocrity. It is simply not good enough and ultimately all this penny penching and taking chances in the hope that some may come off will only continue to see us fall further down the footballing ladder. The club is absolutely raking it in from TV revenue, posting profit after profit and the most we have spent on a striker under Ashley (one of the richest people on the planet) is 10 million pounds or about half what a good lower Premier League/top Championship forward would set you back nowadays.

Yes, I am negative about the direction of the club in general and this potential transfer in particular, but I don't f***ing want to be. I would much rather the club was run ambitiously with a striker capable of replicating the heroics of the best number 9's we've seen over the years. I'm sorry to say there is no way that Bas Dost will ever be that player, not ever. His goalscoring record as well as his all round play are nowhere near good enough.

Unlike you to miss the point.

No-one had seen Sakho so comment would've been fanciful guesswork, many have seen Dost and have formed an opinion.

Look, I'm not being negative for negativity's sake here unlike what some people might think. Think about it: why would a Dutch poster on a NUFC board with a history of defending Dutch and Eredivisie players when they have been (in my opinion) undervalued come out and express dismay at the arrival of a possible Dutch number 9 at Newcastle? I would love nothing more than to see a Dutch striker become a hero at this club. I wanted us to sign Dirk Kuyt back when we were supposedly after him. I have no ulterior motive here, I couldn't possible have.

I hope we don't sign Bas Dost. That doesn't mean I'm writing him off before he's even kicked a ball for us or will not give him a chance because he's not our player yet, and whilst that is the case I sincerely hope we look elsewhere and aim higher. His record isn't all that bad and I will always defend any Eredvisie striker record against the likes of Ronaldo (the poster) who suggest the league is so weak that any striker could score over 30. That said, he scored 77 goals in 163 competitive games in Holland (one season in Jupiler League, 4 in Eredivisie), or slightly under one in two. Take out his "Pardew 5th place season" anomaly and it drops to in 39 in 124, or slightly under one in three.

Wolfsburg shelled out for him when his stock was high (after the anomaly) and at the higher Bundesliga you would expect a striker with these numbers in Holland to score maybe one in four in a stronger league, which proved to be the case in his first two seasons at Wolsburg (12 in 41 in Bundesliga), where he was a squad player at best despite the fact that they had paid just shy of 10m euros for him.

His hot streak earlier this year for Wolfsburg was seriously impressive, but nobody saw it coming (a bit like Papiss Cisse's streak in his first few months here) and I think nobody who closely follows the German league can realistically see him replicating it, not least Wolsburg which explains why they want to cash in on him while his stock is (once again) high.

Having said all that, his goalscoring record is not my biggest worry with Bas Dost. It is the fact that he is the type of player that needs the team to be built around him and quite frankly, he is not good enough for that to happen at the top level. Considering our current group of players, there is hardly anybody here at this point in time capable of providing him the service he would require to be even considered half decent. Bas Dost is more or less purely a box player, a luxury we sadly cannot afford as we are in deperate need (in my view) of a forward who can transform the way we play offensively, and by this I don't mean hoofing it at the big lump up top, but somebody with some pace, movement and intelligence about him.

A wider criticism would be what this transfer represents, especially coming in the wake of Mike Ashley speaking of Champions League football and talking about the club finally pushing above its weight. Bas Dost is to the Newcastle number 9 shirt what Steve McClaren is to the Newcastle hot seat: utterly underwhelming and a sign not of renewed ambition, but of ingrained mediocrity. It is simply not good enough and ultimately all this penny penching and taking chances in the hope that some may come off will only continue to see us fall further down the footballing ladder. The club is absolutely raking it in from TV revenue, posting profit after profit and the most we have spent on a striker under Ashley (one of the richest people on the planet) is 10 million pounds or about half what a good lower Premier League/top Championship forward would set you back nowadays.

Yes, I am negative about the direction of the club in general and this potential transfer in particular, but I don't f***ing want to be. I would much rather the club was run ambitiously with a striker capable of replicating the heroics of the best number 9's we've seen over the years. I'm sorry to say there is no way that Bas Dost will ever be that player, not ever. His goalscoring record as well as his all round play are nowhere near good enough.

:thup:

Wolfsburg shelled out for him when his stock was high (after the anomaly) and at the higher Bundesliga level you would expect a striker with these numbers in Holland to score maybe one in four in a stronger league, which proved to be the case in his first two seasons at Wolsburg (12 in 41 in Bundesliga), where he was a squad player at best despite the fact that they had paid just shy of 10m euros for him.

I've not been against signing Dost at all but I do love this post :thup:

I know forward planning isn't NUFC's forte - but if ( a big if) we were looking for a complete overhaul of playing style and personnel - wingers - talented midfielders - (a defence) with an ability to press and release balls quickly coupled with intelligent attacking play - would it be possible for Bas Dost to be the focal point of our team? I totally agree that in the current set up he would be redundant.

I know forward planning isn't NUFC's forte - but if ( a big if) we were looking for a complete overhaul of playing style and personnel - wingers - talented midfielders - (a defence) with an ability to press and release balls quickly coupled with intelligent attacking play - would it be possible for Bas Dost to be the focal point of our team? I totally agree that in the current set up he would be redundant.

Don't think our lot is smart enough to think ahead like that sadly, i would still want someone different but it would at least make logical sense.

:clap: Preach it.

Guest pont-toon

O0

Not many people chin big baz

Have seen next to nowt of him but his goalscoring record since he stopped playing for fictional teams is rather impressive. Unbelievable is clearly more knowledgeable on the subject of Bas but purely because he has a pleasant name I feel his goalscoring will transfer seamlessly to the Premier League.

Hope we sign him.

There is no one I would trust more than unbelievable on players from the dutch league, if he has reservations then the wise thing to do is listen to him.

Have seen next to nowt of him but his goalscoring record since he stopped playing for fictional teams is rather impressive. Unbelievable is clearly more knowledgeable on the subject of Bas but purely because he has a pleasant name I feel his goalscoring will transfer seamlessly to the Premier League.

Hope we sign him.

:lol:

Think this Bas Dost argument is fucking stupid personally. Okay he's limited and won't contribute to play and under the Pardew/Carver axis of evil he'd be a waste of time. However whatever we think of McLaren in the big picture I'm confident he knows enough to understand that signing a limited big man without changing the way we play will fail.

There's reasons to be negative, but let's not get carried away with it.

I'm not convinced by Dost's goal scoring ability by any means, based on what I've read about him and trusting the opinions of those posters who've seen him play with some regularity. But we do need another striker and Dost seems like a capable target forward, a guy who can come in and hold-up play. As much as it pains me to say to use this shitty phrase, I think de Jong is really "like a new signing", having missed most of last season...he seems like the perfect player to sit underneath a target forward and provide a goal scoring threat. I think Cisse could benefit from having a strike partner as well if we opt to go with two men up top.

A front 4 of

Dost

Perez        De Jong        Cabella

could work, IMO.

Of course, the problem will arise when we sign Dost, ship out Cisse and don't get another striker in, leaving us in the same position as last year.

I'd rather we man up and sign a well-rounded striker, but at this point, we're fucking desperate for bodies that aren't Rivière, Gouffran, or Obertan. As unbelievable said, signing Dost just further screams of a lack of ambition.