The Managerial Merry Go Round™ - Brighton appoint Fabian Hurzeler / Ten Hag to stay at Man Utd

cp40

Was football such a closed shop back then though? With the difference between the haves and the have-nots quite so staggering?

That's the difference for me. 2 or 3 examples from the same sort of era. It's taken 30 years to replicate or better that and God knows when it'll happen again.

Was football such a closed shop back then though? With the difference between the haves and the have-nots quite so staggering?

Aye, pretty sure you could finish near the top one season and the next finish bottom. For all that we say in the Premier League anyone could beat anyone, pre-Premier League the games were much more of a gamble.

they are probably the best story in the history of English football, certainly post-war.

Certainly not. Ipswich and Burnley early 60s, Ipswich being the better story. [emoji38] Sorry, man, they hit it out of the park.

Or even Cloughie getting Forest promoted to Division 1 and then within 2 years winning the League and European Cup.

[emoji38] Shit. I'll tell you how embarrassing that omission is. I was living in Nottingham at the time and went to see some of their matches. :blush:

I was at Highfield Road as a 9 year old when they clinched it with a 0-0. Will never forget a save Peter Shilton pulled off from a point blank Mick Ferguson header. 

Giggs is ridiculous.

Did he take note of the fact that Clement was humble enough to go to Derby previously, and at least got some managerial experience in this country at that level first?

Lets look at the Huddersfield manager as an example. If he gets a prem job next season this moron will be whinging again, but why didn't he go and take the Huddersfield job? Wasn't fancy enough eh?

Get out of here man.

Guest Howaythetoon

There are so many poor British managers or coaches and most all seem to get another cushy job whenever they fail. Big Sam, Pardew etc. Yes there are too many foreign managers and coaches and indeed players, but that's because they are fucking better in most ways. English football is so ignorant and dated it's actually laughable. The culture of our game from top to bottom is loathesome.

There are so many poor British managers or coaches and most all seem to get another cushy job whenever they fail. Big Sam, Pardew etc. Yes there are too many foreign managers and coaches and indeed players, but that's because they are fucking better in most ways. English football is so ignorant and dated it's actually laughable. The culture of our game from top to bottom is loathesome.

Moving away from Ryan Giggs absolutely bullshit opinion... Is this comment not a bit strong? Post-2003 elite football has gone some way to damaging many aspects which make the sport so great; and there's obviously issues at grassroots level which I couldn't begin to identify, never mind theorise solutions to... but I think the word 'culture' is using too broad a brush.

Guest Howaythetoon

There are so many poor British managers or coaches and most all seem to get another cushy job whenever they fail. Big Sam, Pardew etc. Yes there are too many foreign managers and coaches and indeed players, but that's because they are f***ing better in most ways. English football is so ignorant and dated it's actually laughable. The culture of our game from top to bottom is loathesome.

Moving away from Ryan Giggs absolutely bullshit opinion... Is this comment not a bit strong? Post-2003 elite football has gone some way to damaging many aspects which make the sport so great; and there's obviously issues at grassroots level which I couldn't begin to identify, never mind theorise solutions to... but I think the word 'culture' is using too broad a brush.

It is, like. Shit managers are rewarded with big paying jobs and shit players likewise. Fans are taking for a ride but constantly bend over and take on up the arse. Look at the reaction over some non league player eating a pie at half time.

It saddened me last night that the biggest cheers and jeers were for a shit nothing player like Lansbury. He doesn't deserve the attention.

Our game fucking boils my piss and last nigh I spent most of the game cringing.

17 minute applause, making a nobody like Lansbury some kind of anti hero. Villa fans proudly informing us that they relegated us once. A young fan about 7 wanting Ritchie off because he hadnt converted a chance. His father telling him what do you expect, he came from Bournemouth. Some old cunt abusing Mitrovic for not kicking someone. The list is endless really.

I know I'm coming over as a pissy moaning twat, but I feel absolutely nothing for our game the way it is and our club too. Win, lose, draw. Score, concede. Play shite or play good. It's all the same really.

Thank you Mike and Alan btw...

And the FA and PL bosses and Sky!

There are so many poor British managers or coaches and most all seem to get another cushy job whenever they fail. Big Sam, Pardew etc. Yes there are too many foreign managers and coaches and indeed players, but that's because they are f***ing better in most ways. English football is so ignorant and dated it's actually laughable. The culture of our game from top to bottom is loathesome.

It is, like. Shit managers are rewarded with big paying jobs and shit players likewise. Fans are taking for a ride but constantly bend over and take on up the arse. Look at the reaction over some non league player eating a pie at half time.

It saddened me last night that the biggest cheers and jeers were for a shit nothing player like Lansbury. He doesn't deserve the attention.

Our game fucking boils my piss and last nigh I spent most of the game cringing.

17 minute applause, making a nobody like Lansbury some kind of anti hero. Villa fans proudly informing us that they relegated us once. A young fan about 7 wanting Ritchie off because he hadnt converted a chance. His father telling him what do you expect, he came from Bournemouth. Some old cunt abusing Mitrovic for not kicking someone. The list is endless really.

I know I'm coming over as a pissy moaning twat, but I feel absolutely nothing for our game the way it is and our club too. Win, lose, draw. Score, concede. Play shite or play good. It's all the same really.

Do you honestly feel nothing though??

It is, like. s*** managers are rewarded with big paying jobs and s*** players likewise. Fans are taking for a ride but constantly bend over and take on up the arse. Look at the reaction over some non league player eating a pie at half time.

It saddened me last night that the biggest cheers and jeers were for a s*** nothing player like Lansbury. He doesn't deserve the attention.

Our game f***ing boils my p*ss and last nigh I spent most of the game cringing.

17 minute applause, making a nobody like Lansbury some kind of anti hero. Villa fans proudly informing us that they relegated us once. A young fan about 7 wanting Ritchie off because he hadnt converted a chance. His father telling him what do you expect, he came from Bournemouth. Some old c*** abusing Mitrovic for not kicking someone. The list is endless really.

I know I'm coming over as a pissy moaning t***, but I feel absolutely nothing for our game the way it is and our club too. Win, lose, draw. Score, concede. Play s**** or play good. It's all the same really.

Quite a lot of the things you mention have long happened, or at least variants of them.