2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"For all the diving people talk about Neymar he's been standing on his feet quite well this tournament"

hahahaha

He has to be fair. Especially when you consider he's been targeted a considerable amount. Chile got stuck right into him yesterday.

Talking to The Butcher of Ålgard here. If the leg isn't snapped in two, they're diving.

Tipping Mexico to go through btw (though Vazquez will be a miss, replaced by Salcido) - and not just to rile Unbelievable :laugh:

You're just worried about your FF position.. :p

:laugh:

Mexico have been outstanding and are better at the old 5-3-2 than your lot, but you obviously have a pair of world class players up front when they definitely do not.

It's their wing-backs/wider central midfielders that could win it for them, which is where they're stronger. Back threes much of a muchness with slight edge to them, maybe?

It should be mint either way. Cue 0-0 borefest.

Oh I'm worried about getting knocked out, as I always am when the team I support plays. Mexico have only conceded one goal so far this tournament, and that was when the game was already over vs Croatia, so I absolutely respect them. As it happens I don't expect it to be a good match, as Louis van Gaal seems intent on us sitting back and trying to get something on the break. Only in the latter stages of a game, when the opposition gets tired, does he really go for it by bringing on some more attacking players with pace. The game plan once more will be to absorb pressure for 70 minutes than go for the kill. Boring as fuck, and it goes against everything Dutch football represents, but I obviously hope it's effective once more.

Mexico will not be strong enough at the back if Holland get going. In the Brazil game you could argue that Brazil never really did get going, if they did they would have been able to break Mexico down with ease.

Holland will beat Mexico by at least 2 goals.

It's hard to get going against a organized teams. Mexico will sit and invite Holland to play, don't think they'll break them down easily as their goals have come from counter-attacks in the World Cup. Really think Mexico have enough to beat them but am going with yet another R16 extra time loss for Mexico.

Two teams sitting off then.  :sleepy2:

Mexico will not be strong enough at the back if Holland get going. In the Brazil game you could argue that Brazil never really did get going, if they did they would have been able to break Mexico down with ease.

Holland will beat Mexico by at least 2 goals.

It's hard to get going against a organized teams. Mexico will sit and invite Holland to play, don't think they'll break them down easily as their goals have come from counter-attacks in the World Cup. Really think Mexico have enough to beat them but am going with yet another R16 extra time loss for Mexico.

Two teams sitting off then.  :sleepy2:

And Robben to grab an ET goal.

Neymar an injury doubt for the quarter finals according to the BBC.

If he's out they don't have much of a chance IMO.

He's not going to be out, he's no doubt, it's just mind games. He's got a swollen thigh. For all the diving people talk about Neymar he's been standing on his feet quite well this tournament which has resulted in plenty of naughty challenges. The one by Aranguiz early in the game which caused the injury deserved a yellow.

Brazil has been poor. Can't see how they can beat the Argies nevermind the Germans. One man team up front and Scolari hasn't found a right XI. Hulk was ok yesterday, but other than that he has been poor. And still he managed to get an assist to Chile's goal.

There is a good chance Cuadrado and Rodriguez will run riot against that defence.

People said the same about Spain last World Cup. Beat Portugal 1-0, almost went out to Paraguay before showing up in the semi-finals. People don't give credit where it's due. For all the praise Chile gets, Julio Cesar made ONE (!!) save all game. We're playing extremely poor, but advancing which gives us time to make it right. We've played decent and organized teams, which all put that extra shift in to be the team to beat the hometeam. I'm not defending this team fwiw, there's no defending for the showing we've put on. Only Neymar, David Luiz, Luiz Gustavo and Julio Cesar gets praise from me for the World Cup this far, but we've conceded 3 goals, all from mistakes, none of them were normal goals which tells me if we cut the mistakes out we shouldn't even draw the game.

Yea but cutting out mistakes is the hard part of defending man.

Spain during 08-12 period controlled games throughout, and their strikers poor form or use of false nine meant they really didn't score that much. Problem with this Brazil is that you can break quickly on the counter, but like Spain you have no quality striker and the burden to score goals lies on Neymar and set pieces. He is good but not that good.

Chile have been positive but their problem for a long time has been scoring. They really didn't have skills to break the Netherland nor Brazil yesterday. But when they win the ball back it's their moment. Like against you yestarday and against Spai for the first goal. You sat back loooong times and just consumed the pressure. Works against Chile, won't work against Germany, or Messi. Columbia will let you keep the ball I would guess.

And fwiw, I have bet for Brazil to win this WC. Doesn't look good I would say.

I'm talking about individual mistakes. Not general mistakes as most goals occur then. Every goal conceded has been due to an individual mistake either in a mistake itself or positioning like a 12 year old.

I agree with you, but we controlled the game yesterday in our own way, we didn't invite pressure on us, what we did was to force Chile to play long balls. I thought the marking was excellent and without an individual error we would've won 2-0 by countering in a goal at the end when they'd have to force a bit. Our zonal marking forced them to send longballs that were dealt with easily. We've showed that we play differently depending on what team we play, I hope the pressure loosens up a bit now so the players can perform a bit better, felt like they had tons of bricks on their shoulders yesterday and were feeling the pressure. Against a Germany or Argentina side there's no way we'll let them control the game, I expect us in games like that to play like we did against Spain in the Confed by putting pressure from the off, something that is impossible to do against teams like Chile.

Right now I have a hard time seeing us beat Colombia easily and am expecting another difficult game, but if we turn up and play the football we have been under Scolari outside of this last month than I'm confident we can beat them with ease as their midfield and defense is extremely vulnerable to players like Neymar and Hulk. I just hope Fred can keep Zapata or Yepes occupied because until now we've essentially played with 10 men. 

What happened, I mus have missed that last night?

A low cross came in to the area, and he stepped back with his elbow towards Forlan who fell. Didn't actually get him, but they started arguing and Forlan chested him and all. Yepes was quite lucky because he stepped back instead of going for the ball and if he hits Forlan and the ref sees it it's a penalty.

Love seeing this fucker bossing it at 38. Wish he'd have chinned Forlan last night too.

He was itching for it to kick off last night. Winding any old fucker up, shame Lugano wasn't on the pitch to fall for it.

I'm talking about individual mistakes. Not general mistakes as most goals occur then. Every goal conceded has been due to an individual mistake either in a mistake itself or positioning like a 12 year old.

I agree with you, but we controlled the game yesterday in our own way, we didn't invite pressure on us, what we did was to force Chile to play long balls. I thought the marking was excellent and without an individual error we would've won 2-0 by countering in a goal at the end when they'd have to force a bit. Our zonal marking forced them to send longballs that were dealt with easily. We've showed that we play differently depending on what team we play, I hope the pressure loosens up a bit now so the players can perform a bit better, felt like they had tons of bricks on their shoulders yesterday and were feeling the pressure. Against a Germany or Argentina side there's no way we'll let them control the game, I expect us in games like that to play like we did against Spain in the Confed by putting pressure from the off, something that is impossible to do against teams like Chile.

Right now I have a hard time seeing us beat Colombia easily and am expecting another difficult game, but if we turn up and play the football we have been under Scolari outside of this last month than I'm confident we can beat them with ease as their midfield and defense is extremely vulnerable to players like Neymar and Hulk. I just hope Fred can keep Zapata or Yepes occupied because until now we've essentially played with 10 men. 

Chile really didn't have many opportunities that is true, worrying for you was the fact Sanchez won quite a few aerial battles. You can still win the whole thing, but you are not even close of reaching your potential. Good thing is Scolari seems to drop Paulinho, who has been awful. Fernandinho should start, and is Gustavo suspended from the QF? I seem to remember him getting a yellow yesterday.

Chile really didn't have many opportunities that is true, worrying for you was the fact Sanchez won quite a few aerial battles. You can still win the whole thing, but you are not even close of reaching your potential. Good thing is Scolari seems to drop Paulinho, who has been awful. Fernandinho should start, and is Gustavo suspended from the QF? I seem to remember him getting a yellow yesterday.

Yes he's out. Will be interesting to see. I'd bench Oscar and put Paulinho on. Play Paulinho a bit more free infront of David Luiz and Fernandinho with Dante in the CB with Thiago. Think Paulinho has been lost because he's had to cover so much. I mean Fernandinho who has excellent fitness went out after an hour for cramps all over. Doubt we'll see that but I think we need an extra midfielder. Rely on Neymar and Hulk offensively and hope Fred scores like he usually does when it most matters.