2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I agree he has better hold up play and is quicker than both not technique though, his technique is rather average IMO.

Anyway personally the point is moot as his hold up player and quickness won't be used properly, that's the problem here for Atletico he gets into acres of space due to how direct they are which again won't happen.

We'll see though. :thup:

In terms of technique I don't mean dribbling and so on, I forget to mention that when I post on here, with technique I mean his intelligence on the pitch his ability to hold up play and get into positions. I understand your point as well, but I think he'll offer Spain far more than Torres since he's able to drop deep or play as the lone up top. I'd have brought Negredo anyways, it's ridiculous that Torres goes ahead of him.

Gascoigne should be way higher than Boniek and Banks should be the highest goalkeeper for sure....I'd have Lineker higher too.  That's from an English perspective...time to investigate further.

Taffarel :thup: World Cup gold, silver and participated in three World Cups.

Not in the same League as Banks mate, he was the greatest keeper ever. Not sure why CRonaldo is so high either...he's way above both Gazza and Iniesta?????????

I've seen very little of Banks, since most of the old match footages I've seen have been with Brazil, Argentina or Germany involved. But while I do see your point, that's World Cup history. Shouldn't it then be the best from the World Cup history and not a single World Cup performance? Taffarel was an integral part of a Brazilian side that won in 94 despite having brought one of the worst Brazilians squads ever to a World Cup and then almost won in 98 playing once again a huge part in the reason getting to the final.

As for best goalkeeper in the world ever, I hear so much about Yasin and am told that he was the best ever. Never seen him play a game though, only seen some youtube clips.

*not saying Taffarel should be the best goalie, just that he should be on that list. Think Zoff is fairly the number 1 goalie there. 

Gascoigne should be way higher than Boniek and Banks should be the highest goalkeeper for sure....I'd have Lineker higher too.  That's from an English perspective...time to investigate further.

Not in the same League as Banks mate, he was the greatest keeper ever. Not sure why CRonaldo is so high either...he's way above both Gazza and Iniesta?????????

I've seen very little of Banks, since most of the old match footages I've seen have been with Brazil, Argentina or Germany involved. But while I do see your point, that's World Cup history. Shouldn't it then be the best from the World Cup history and not a single World Cup performance? Taffarel was an integral part of a Brazilian side that won in 94 despite having brought one of the worst Brazilians squads ever to a World Cup and then almost won in 98 playing once again a huge part in the reason getting to the final.

As for best goalkeeper in the world ever, I hear so much about Yasin and am told that he was the best ever. Never seen him play a game though, only seen some youtube clips.

Banks and Lev were about the same time and although I only saw Yachin and Banks on film....Banks was without doubt better...and that famous save from Pele in 70...Jeez. With regards to the list, I'm not sure why CR and Messi are so high or eve in it at all. Uwe Seeler should be higher and that Brazil 82 side should have more representatives than just Zico....I'd find room above the Platinis and Brolins for Falcao, Socrates and Junior. Zagalo should be higher too...as a player AND a manager must put him in the top 15.

Banks and Lev were about the same time and although I only saw Yachin and Banks on film....Banks was without doubt better...and that famous save from Pele in 70...Jeez. With regards to the list, I'm not sure why CR and Messi are so high or eve in it at all. Uwe Seeler should be higher and that Brazil 82 side should have more representatives than just Zico....I'd find room above the Platinis and Brolins for Falcao, Socrates and Junior. Zagalo should be higher too...as a player AND a manager must put him in the top 15.

:thup:

List is shit anyways.

How can you say Banks is without a doubt better than Yashin based on films? Any goalkeeper can pull ridiculous saves that can be seen on films but the consistency just isn't seen on film. Banks could've been better but IMO no one can say he was without a doubt a better goalie especially when Yashin played his whole career in Russia.

How can you say Banks is without a doubt better than Yashin based on films? Any goalkeeper can pull ridiculous saves that can be seen on films but the consistency just isn't seen on film. Banks could've been better but IMO no one can say he was without a doubt a better goalie especially when Yashin played his whole career in Russia.

Easy. Banks was better than Lev.  Banks is without a doubt the greatest of all time. It's not just film I'm basing this on incidentally. I've had the discussion many a time over the years with some very knowledgeable people,  some of whom certainly saw both and also some of whom who wouldn't have an English bias for Banks. Tell you what too  Shilton isn't far behind them either.

I still doubt that there's many people in the world who saw enough games from the both to be that certain. :lol:

Course there is. I know folk who went to the Sweden World Cup for goodness sake. I even knew one old chap who has passed now, that saw as a young Navy man, some games from the 50 World Cup in Brazil.

Only one contender for best kit

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2010/3/19/1269013955333/Paul-Gascoigne-got-his-ch-002.jpg

Shit, man, think of the personality and character that team had and compare them to the current bunch of no marks.  I can't get behind ingerland, it just doesn't feel like my team anymore.

I still doubt that there's many people in the world who saw enough games from the both to be that certain. :lol:

Course there is. I know folk who went to the Sweden World Cup for goodness sake. I even knew one old chap who has passed now, that saw as a young Navy man, some games from the 50 World Cup in Brazil.

Is one or two World Cups enough to judge a goalie? Yashin played 12 games in three World Cups (4 in Sweden). Isn't the sample size a bit small? Or were the folk you know avid watchers of illegal streams from the Russian League?

I know this is completely pointless argument but I stand by my point without ever seeing either play properly. :lol:

Well he toured England with Dynamo Moscow in the 50s and played Wolverhampton in the first floodlight matches.  He also played in the Centenary game at Wembo in 63. It wasn't just World Cups where you could see Lev. He like Zoff had longevity over Banks but Banks was off the planet where keeping was concerned. Good men have even blamed Banks' car crash on England's failure to qualify for 74 and have gone as far to say that an England side with Banks may well have won in 74.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2010/3/19/1269013955333/Paul-Gascoigne-got-his-ch-002.jpg

Shit, man, think of the personality and character that team had and compare them to the current bunch of no marks.  I can't get behind ingerland, it just doesn't feel like my team anymore.

Must be the username, but I always thought you were Nordic!

Must be the username, but I always thought you were Nordic!

Thought he was Icelandic myself for some reason. :lol:

Prefer this England-wise:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lza0e0rv6D1r77wx6.jpg

Always like the Argentina and Holland ones too, the Holland ones when the orange is mixed with black in particular.  And Brazil's are usually pretty cool of course.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/sports/soccer/fixed-matches-cast-shadow-over-world-cup.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=2

Rather detailed and interesting New York Times report on match-fixing in the leadup to the 2010 World Cup, how it happened, how useless FIFA is in helping with this sort of thing, and how vulnerable certain federations are at this stage now in regards to this year's World Cup.

Prefer this England-wise:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lza0e0rv6D1r77wx6.jpg

Always like the Argentina and Holland ones too, the Holland ones when the orange is mixed with black in particular.  And Brazil's are usually pretty cool of course.

Nah, go beat your lass some more, the '90 one is more iconic and better looking.