2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What a disgrace. Just disgusting. Tbf, Cameroon are terrible and I never had any hope for them. I picked them to finish last in their group. Their football is falling apart and they've failed to qualify for the last two ACNs. The last one they were vanquished by a Cape Verde team that simply outclassed them. Easily the worst team that qualified. Of course, in typical African style they've managed to go out in the most juvenile and amateur way possible. The whole world is laughing at us once again. Song and BAE are meant to be two of their most experienced and top level-seasoned players as well.

Still, we have four teams left with the opportunity to do something. CIV should really qualify. Ghana's group will be wide open until the last day if Portugal beat the Us. Nigeria were very poor in the first match, but nothing has changed, it was always operation "Defeat Bosnia". Everyone in Algeria's group is underwhelming. I'll wait for my eulogy speech.

Absolute turboshite like that is what gives African football a bad name, and will continue to enforce stereotypes. Truly embarrassing performance.

African football will always be held back by weak domestic leagues and non-existent development programs. How many of these countries actually develop their own players? Far too much reliance on dual nationals and foreign-born players.

Almost entirely the result of structural inequalities and history, mind. And entirely unreasonable to expect these otherwise impoverished countries to pour resources into developing domestic football programs too.

Please don't patronise. Africa is held back by sheer incompetence at all levels, in both football, politics, and economics.  It isn't that difficult to put a football team together. We don't even work to refine or grow our players, yet they carve careers out for themselves all over Europe. The players are there by birthright. All that is needed is to provide the team with adequate care , technical advice, and payment. Even this is too difficult. Of course colonial mentality reigns supreme as well. Notice Cameroon had some German on a retirement tour stealing their money, because everything white is automatically better.

http://lineupbuilder.com/2014/custom/?sk=39d3

Threw together a Yugoslavia team, not really practical because I forced a way to put Pjanić, Modrić, and Rakitić in one team. The bench if it's a 23-man squad.

Samir Handanović

Pletikosa

Vedran Ćorluka

Dejan Lovren

Bojan Jokić

Darijo Srna

Mateo Kovačić

Lazar Marković

Miralem Sulejmani

Josip Iličić

Filip Đuričić

Stevan Jovetić

Edin Džeko

Jelavić, Kranjčar, and Vučinić were the only one's of note I couldn't really fit. Anyone I'm missing?

Absolute turboshite like that is what gives African football a bad name, and will continue to enforce stereotypes. Truly embarrassing performance.

African football will always be held back by weak domestic leagues and non-existent development programs. How many of these countries actually develop their own players? Far too much reliance on dual nationals and foreign-born players.

Almost entirely the result of structural inequalities and history, mind. And entirely unreasonable to expect these otherwise impoverished countries to pour resources into developing domestic football programs too.

Please don't patronise. Africa is held back by sheer incompetence at all levels, in both football, politics, and economics.  It isn't that difficult to put a football team together. We don't even work to refine or grow our players, yet they carve careers out for themselves all over Europe. The players are there by birthright. All that is needed is to provide the team with adequate care , technical advice, and payment. Even this is too difficult. Of course colonial mentality reigns supreme as well. Notice Cameroon had some German on a retirement tour stealing their money, because everything white is automatically better.

I wasn't trying to be patronizing, and I think we're making roughly the same arguments. I'm not trying to paint a picture of African dependency, "blame the colonizers for everything and ignore African agency," but I don't think it's incorrect to suggest that deficiencies in African domestic leagues and development programs have a lot to do with structural inequalities, the same disadvantages that plague African states as a whole. That's not the singular cause of the problem but I think it contributes.

I'm not saying African footballers aren't talented. They quite clearly are, or else they wouldn't be carving out careers for themselves in Europe. There's just little in the way of harnessing that talent into a coherent national playing structure. It's not hard to put together a team of highly-talented players, but it is difficult to get them to play as a collective unit. That's not an African-exclusive problem either. Look at any of the top international sides. Almost all of their players have passed through their countries' respective domestic development programs and had a national footballing ethos instilled in them from a very young age. It's why Spain won 3 major tournaments in a row, Germany is a perennial powerhouse, the Dutch have an endless supply of players, and the Brazilians are the best ever. Everyone else, African or otherwise, is playing catch-up.

A modern Yugoslavia team would have the best of Croatia and Bosnia, with some Slovenians, Serbs, and Montenegrins sprinkled in. How would it do? Answers in the form of puns welcome.

You're a bell. Grade A. ;)

I wasn't trying to be patronizing, and I think we're making roughly the same arguments. I'm not trying to paint a picture of African dependency, "blame the colonizers for everything and ignore African agency," but I don't think it's incorrect to suggest that deficiencies in African domestic leagues and development programs have a lot to do with structural inequalities, the same disadvantages that plague African states as a whole. That's not the singular cause of the problem but I think it contributes.

I'm not saying African footballers aren't talented. They quite clearly are, or else they wouldn't be carving out careers for themselves in Europe. There's just little in the way of harnessing that talent into a coherent national playing structure. It's not hard to put together a team of highly-talented players, but it is difficult to get them to play as a collective unit. That's not an African-exclusive problem either. Look at any of the top international sides. Almost all of their players have passed through their countries' respective domestic development programs and had a national footballing ethos instilled in them from a very young age. It's why Spain won 3 major tournaments in a row, Germany is a perennial powerhouse, the Dutch have an endless supply of players, and the Brazilians are the best ever. Everyone else, African or otherwise, is playing catch-up.

African countries a bit like England, then...!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-qYz1c5CG68g/U6Hy2iE8WaI/AAAAAAAAD4g/fuiTLkBMrxg/h720/6546541.gif

:lol:

Man, that's tough.

well shaved

FYP.

Look at the stare he gets off the lines man

Hope this Netherlands v Chile potential mentalfest isn't reduced to a dead rubber.

Both teams will want to avoid playing Brazil in the next round I would have thought, so there should be something to play for whatever happens

Scratch that. Group B plays before group A for some bizarre reason. Looks like Brazil may get to pick their next opponents then...

You weren't patronising, I was seeing red mist last night because of the match and some events in my own life. :lol: Sorry, man. I don't even know why. I knew Cameroon would embarrass themselves and picked them to finish last in their group. Anyone who actually watches African football knows they are the worst of the five in this tournament by a distance. The remaining four still have good chances to put a mark on this tournament. Your point about leagues and development is well-taken, but we don't need to be competing with Spain and Germany here. Being the equal on the world stage on the the strong teams in CONCACAF and AFC along with the second tier of sides of Europe and South America is something that should be attainable for the African powers with relative ease. Yet they have failed.

I've said this before, but the continental distribution is not meant to be based purely on skill. If that was the case we'd give one slot to Mexico, one slot for Asia and Africa to fight over, and everything else to Europe and South America. 

While skill does play apart, the idea is to make the competition representative of all of the world's football cultures and to increase the quality of football in places like Asia and Africa by giving them more exposure on the big stage. This seems to be working pretty well for Asia at least.

I think the distribution is fine as it is.

There are vastly diminishing returns with the quality in Europe and South America. You seem to think we are getting ten more teams with Ibrahimovic on leading the line, but really you are just adding the likes of Iceland, Denmark, Slovenia, Venezuela, and Bolivia, who may be decent teams but would all struggle to get out of any group and are not markedly better than teams from other confederations.

Threw together a Yugoslavia team, not really practical because I forced a way to put Pjanić, Modrić, and Rakitić in one team. The bench if it's a 23-man squad.

Samir Handanović

Pletikosa

Vedran Ćorluka

Dejan Lovren

Bojan Jokić

Darijo Srna

Mateo Kovačić

Lazar Marković

Miralem Sulejmani

Josip Iličić

Filip Đuričić

Stevan Jovetić

Edin Džeko

Jelavić, Kranjčar, and Vučinić were the only one's of note I couldn't really fit. Anyone I'm missing?

I built a similar team for if England was merged with the rest of the UK/NI.

http://i.imgur.com/Zy9TQHm.png

def worth it, just to get rid of welbeck

You weren't patronising, I was seeing red mist last night because of the match and some events in my own life. :lol: Sorry, man. I don't even know why. I knew Cameroon would embarrass themselves and picked them to finish last in their group. Anyone who actually watches African football knows they are the worst of the five in this tournament by a distance. The remaining four still have good chances to put a mark on this tournament. Your point about leagues and development is well-taken, but we don't need to be competing with Spain and Germany here. Being the equal on the world stage on the the strong teams in CONCACAF and AFC along with the second tier of sides of Europe and South America is something that should be attainable for the African powers with relative ease. Yet they have failed.

:thup: it's all good man

Samir Handanović

Pletikosa

Vedran Ćorluka

Dejan Lovren

Bojan Jokić

Darijo Srna

Mateo Kovačić

Lazar Marković

Miralem Sulejmani

Josip Iličić

Filip Đuričić

Stevan Jovetić

Edin Džeko

I built a similar team for if England was merged with the rest of the UK/NI.

http://i.imgur.com/Zy9TQHm.png

def worth it, just to get rid of welbeck

Loling @ Henderson being there over Ramsey