2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If Karma exists Holland (because Flip hates us) will knock Brazil out of the WC next month after a similar incident. I fully expect Flip to be reasonable and applaud the Dutch player in question.

:facepalm:

:thup:

I do wonder whether palnese, who is of such high moral grounds, was happy to see Norway through the group in 98 when I think it was Flo who threw himself on the ground to get a penalty. Norwegian commentators were ecstatic and so was the people. But I guess it's a cultural thing.

You leave palnese alone.

I do wonder whether palnese, who is of such high moral grounds, was happy to see Norway through the group in 98 when I think it was Flo who threw himself on the ground to get a penalty. Norwegian commentators were ecstatic and so was the people. But I guess it's a cultural thing.

You leave palnese alone.

:lol: Sorry.

It's a shame, because a fifth laughing smiley would have convinced me my own opinion on sportsmanship is flawed. You're just so, so wrong. It's not some mythical 1%, Flip.

Let's just completely skip the part when I said 1% was just a number.

Yes, you plucked the lowest integer above zero as your hypothetical number. That has no subtext, does it? Gimme a break man.

You're a junkie who is so invested in the idea that it's okay to cheat to win as long as referees apply sanctions, that you can't handle an opposing viewpoint without being patronising.

It's a shame, because a fifth laughing smiley would have convinced me my own opinion on sportsmanship is flawed. You're just so, so wrong. It's not some mythical 1%, Flip.

Yes, you plucked the lowest integer above zero as your hypothetical number. That has no subtext, does it? Gimme a break man.

You're a junkie who is so invested in the idea that it's okay to cheat to win as long as referees apply sanctions, that you can't handle an opposing viewpoint without being patronising.

Junkie? Right, I'll leave it at that. I've said I accept the the other viewpoint as long as it's true. History tells me something else though, and I bet that the day we win something after we've cheated our way to the final, you'll be staying home while the rest will be joining in celebrations. :thup: Good on you.

http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-brazil-world-cup-posters-2014-5

Couple cool posters there.

http://gfx.dagbladet.no/pub/artikkel/5/53/538/538729/flo320_1213955673.jpg

Penalty was clear as a day.

I agree with flip here on the whole Suarez thing. If Ireland were playing in a world cup quarter final I wouldn't care how we won as long as we did. In fact I would be angry if an Ireland player didn't do anything possible to stop a goal, even if that means getting sent off. Also you are all acting like Suarez had all the time in the world to think about what he was doing. In reality he had less than a second to react and did what naturally came to him.

I agree with flip here on the whole Suarez thing. If Ireland were playing in a world cup quarter final I wouldn't care how we won as long as we did. In fact I would be angry if an Ireland player didn't do anything possible to stop a goal, even if that means getting sent off. Also you are all acting like Suarez had all the time in the world to think about what he was doing. In reality he had less than a second to react and did what naturally came to him.

You a republic fan triggs? If so I assume you weren't arsed about Henry then?

Yes and I was more pissed off at the referee than I was at Henry. The difference with the Suarez incident is that Suarez got punished and France didn't

Yes and I was more p*ssed off at the referee than I was at Henry. The difference with the Suarez incident is that Suarez got punished and France didn't

:thup: People unable to realize this, pulling all these different situations that are completely uncomparable.

As for Rompe. I know there was a shirt pull, but that was analyzed at the time as having nothing to do with the fall. Flo actually throws himself at the ground when Baiano jumps above him, ref if I'm not msitaken doesn't give a penalty for shirt pulling but for pushing him down. Might be completely wrong, haven't seen these images recently but remember being loads of talk about it.

Like somebody said earlier, if your instinct is to cheat then you're a cheat.  The guy spends most of his time trying to con the referee, he's never off the floor, never stops bitching and moaning.  He's a cheat, don't see why the instinct argument makes it any better - in fact it makes it worse.

Like somebody said earlier, if your instinct is to cheat then you're a cheat.  The guy spends most of his time trying to con the referee, he's never off the floor, never stops bitching and moaning.  He's a cheat, don't see why the instinct argument makes it any better - in fact it makes it worse.

I'm only talking about the Ghana game not any other incidents. The reality is if Gyan hadn't bottled the penalty there would be nothing said about it

Junkie? Right, I'll leave it at that. I've said I accept the the other viewpoint as long as it's true. History tells me something else though, and I bet that the day we win something after we've cheated our way to the final, you'll be staying home while the rest will be joining in celebrations. :thup: Good on you.

http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-brazil-world-cup-posters-2014-5

Couple cool posters there.

You and me both know we'll never win anything. :lol: It's not as cut and dry as you've painted it IMO.

If Saylor had another 'Saylor moment' next year in the 3rd round of the Cup next year, and we went on to win it (hold the bellylaughs), it's not like I'd recuse myself from being a fan and enjoying the tournament from the 3rd round onwards - the actions of one individual in one moment don't irrevocably taint the club's success, and it's perfectly possible to disapprove of poor sportsmanship but still want the team to do well/enjoy success. If it happens in the final, I'd be really ashamed though - and I'd say it spoiled the victory on the day, absolutely. Would the route to the final be retrospectively voided - absolutely not. I'd take pride in it. [This is all in some Pardewless-fantasy-land, obviously].

There are actually some things which are more important than winning to me. It's the same reason I didn't really enjoy the season we finished fifth. Style and sportsmanship are why I'm a football fan, otherwise in my head it's all actually really artless and facile.

I'm only talking about the Ghana game not any other incidents. The reality is if Gyan hadn't bottled the penalty there would be nothing said about it

What difference does that make?  He did miss the penalty and Suarez celebrated like he'd scored a 40-yarder.  The incident and what happened afterwards really weren't in the spirit of the game whatsoever.

Yes and I was more pissed off at the referee than I was at Henry. The difference with the Suarez incident is that Suarez got punished and France didn't

So you think what Henry did was fair enough?

It's not a case of us thinking what Henry did was fair enough. I was distraught but fully accepted that one of our players probably would have tried the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

:thup: People unable to realize this, pulling all these different situations that are completely uncomparable.

As for Rompe. I know there was a shirt pull, but that was analyzed at the time as having nothing to do with the fall. Flo actually throws himself at the ground when Baiano jumps above him, ref if I'm not msitaken doesn't give a penalty for shirt pulling but for pushing him down. Might be completely wrong, haven't seen these images recently but remember being loads of talk about it.

The fall was clearly caused by being pulled back by Baiano, and the ref gave the penalty for the shirt pulling.

The fall was clearly caused by being pulled back by Baiano, and the ref gave the penalty for the shirt pulling.

Fair enough, I'll have to look at it again. I'm acting a bit like SanToon did yesterday regarding the Dummett tackle so I apologize. :p

If nobody did these things then nobody would feel wronged.  The ineptitude of match officials is a big enough obstacle at times, without opposition players cheating like fuck as well.  Shows a total lack of respect for your opponents.

What difference does that make?  He did miss the penalty and Suarez celebrated like he'd scored a 40-yarder.  The incident and what happened afterwards really weren't in the spirit of the game whatsoever.

He celebrated like that because his country had just qualified for a world cup semi final. Qualifying for a world cup semi final is a lot better than scoring a 40 yarder in some meaningless game

This is exactly how diving became such a big problem btw, the attitude of "well if they're doing it, we might as well do it".

It should be something far more embarrassing than it is, certainly. The buck should never have been passed to the officials/footballing authorities (who are largely shite) to deal with it.

Fair enough, I'll have to look at it again. I'm acting a bit like SanToon did yesterday regarding the Dummett tackle so I apologize. :p

:lol: you're laughable man, honestly.

:p

:lol: you're laughable man, honestly.

:p

:lol:  I ain't mad.

:yao: