2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/scamming-godfather-predicted-cameroon-0-croatia-4-and-cameroon-sending-off-alex-song-saw-red-der-spiegel/

Many observers of Alex Song’s preposterous red card for elbowing Mario Mandzukic during Cameroon’s 0-4 defeat to Croatia labeled it as the weirdest, and most unnecessary foul they’d ever seen.

And there may have been more to it that met the eye.

Convicted Singaporean Match-fixing ‘Godfather’, Wilson Raj Perumal, has told German paper Der Spiegel online that the game in question was fixed – and he’d called the outcome before kick-off.

According to Der Spiegel, a few hours before the game began, Perumal wrote in a Facebook message that Cameroon would lose the game 0-4, and that in the first half, one of their players would get sent off.

Alex Song was sent off for an elbow to Mandzukic in the 40th minute.

Perumal- who’s served several prison sentences for match-fixing, and has even written memoirs on his scamming days – told Der Spiegel that there are ‘seven ‘bad apples’ in the Cameroon team, who conspired to fix all three of Cameroon’s games.

Words fail me. Hope they ban them from the World Cup in future if this is found to be true.

Hardly the most robust of sources. If this picks up steam elsewhere I would start to get concerned but at the moment....

There's a long history of match-fixing in Italian football and nobody brands European football with the same brush.

2 South American federations where compromised with the same approach as Ghana during the run-up to WC2010 and Asian League football has its share of match-fixing problems.

"Last year Europol alleged that more than 380 professional matches in Europe and more than 300 matches played in Africa, Asia and central and South America were under suspicion as the scale of the activities of match fixing gangs from eastern Europe and Asia became clear."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/23/world-cup-corruption-allegations-fifa-ghana

It is certainly not an African specific problem.

Guest firetotheworks

I've said it before

Newcastle United 95/96 Premier League Champions*

Newcastle United 96/97 Premier League Champions*

Newcastle United 98/99 FA Cup Winners*

*Man United cheated

Imagine.

Suarez quit international football

Honduras coach Luis Fernando Suarez has announced he is stepping down from the role following his team's elimination at the Fifa World Cup group stages.

The Central American nation lost all three of their matches - against France, Ecuador and Switzerland - to finish bottom of Group E.

"I think a change is necessary for the benefit of the Honduran team," said Suarez, 54, after Wednesday's exit.

"I am not satisfied by what we achieved at the World Cup." The Colombian took charge of Honduras in March 2011 after leading Ecuador to a last-16 defeat against England in the 2006 finals.

Honduras qualified for their second successive World Cup by finishing behind the United States and Costa Rica in Concacaf qualification, winning four and drawing three of their 10 matches.

But a 3-0 defeat by Switzerland in their final group game ended their hopes of reaching the knockout stage for the first time.

"I think the team will have good results in the future. But I think someone can replace me and produce different results.

"I am sad I didn't manage to fulfil the mission they entrusted me with. I will be always be connected and listening to news about Honduras and always try to help them."

During his three-year reign, Suarez led Honduras to the semi-finals of two Gold Cups and coached the Olympic team that reached the quarter-finals at London 2012.

COPYRIGHT 2014 ANN COULTER

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html#read_more

AMERICA'S FAVORITE NATIONAL PASTIME: HATING SOCCER

June 25, 2014

I've held off on writing about soccer for a decade -- or about the length of the average soccer game -- so as not to offend anyone. But enough is enough. Any growing interest in soccer can only be a sign of the nation's moral decay.

(1) Individual achievement is not a big factor in soccer. In a real sport, players fumble passes, throw bricks and drop fly balls -- all in front of a crowd. When baseball players strike out, they're standing alone at the plate. But there's also individual glory in home runs, touchdowns and slam-dunks.

In soccer, the blame is dispersed and almost no one scores anyway. There are no heroes, no losers, no accountability, and no child's fragile self-esteem is bruised. There's a reason perpetually alarmed women are called "soccer moms," not "football moms."

Do they even have MVPs in soccer? Everyone just runs up and down the field and, every once in a while, a ball accidentally goes in. That's when we're supposed to go wild. I'm already asleep.

(2) Liberal moms like soccer because it's a sport in which athletic talent finds so little expression that girls can play with boys. No serious sport is co-ed, even at the kindergarten level.

(3) No other "sport" ends in as many scoreless ties as soccer. This was an actual marquee sign by the freeway in Long Beach, California, about a World Cup game last week: "2nd period, 11 minutes left, score: 0:0." Two hours later, another World Cup game was on the same screen: "1st period, 8 minutes left, score: 0:0." If Michael Jackson had treated his chronic insomnia with a tape of Argentina vs. Brazil instead of Propofol, he'd still be alive, although bored.

Even in football, by which I mean football, there are very few scoreless ties -- and it's a lot harder to score when a half-dozen 300-pound bruisers are trying to crush you.

(4) The prospect of either personal humiliation or major injury is required to count as a sport. Most sports are sublimated warfare. As Lady Thatcher reportedly said after Germany had beaten England in some major soccer game: Don't worry. After all, twice in this century we beat them at their national game.

Baseball and basketball present a constant threat of personal disgrace. In hockey, there are three or four fights a game -- and it's not a stroll on beach to be on ice with a puck flying around at 100 miles per hour. After a football game, ambulances carry off the wounded. After a soccer game, every player gets a ribbon and a juice box.

(5) You can't use your hands in soccer. (Thus eliminating the danger of having to catch a fly ball.) What sets man apart from the lesser beasts, besides a soul, is that we have opposable thumbs. Our hands can hold things. Here's a great idea: Let's create a game where you're not allowed to use them!

(6) I resent the force-fed aspect of soccer. The same people trying to push soccer on Americans are the ones demanding that we love HBO's "Girls," light-rail, Beyonce and Hillary Clinton. The number of New York Times articles claiming soccer is "catching on" is exceeded only by the ones pretending women's basketball is fascinating.

I note that we don't have to be endlessly told how exciting football is.

(7) It's foreign. In fact, that's the precise reason the Times is constantly hectoring Americans to love soccer. One group of sports fans with whom soccer is not "catching on" at all, is African-Americans. They remain distinctly unimpressed by the fact that the French like it.

(8) Soccer is like the metric system, which liberals also adore because it's European. Naturally, the metric system emerged from the French Revolution, during the brief intervals when they weren't committing mass murder by guillotine.

Despite being subjected to Chinese-style brainwashing in the public schools to use centimeters and Celsius, ask any American for the temperature, and he'll say something like "70 degrees." Ask how far Boston is from New York City, he'll say it's about 200 miles.

Liberals get angry and tell us that the metric system is more "rational" than the measurements everyone understands. This is ridiculous. An inch is the width of a man's thumb, a foot the length of his foot, a yard the length of his belt. That's easy to visualize. How do you visualize 147.2 centimeters?

(9) Soccer is not "catching on." Headlines this week proclaimed "Record U.S. ratings for World Cup," and we had to hear -- again -- about the "growing popularity of soccer in the United States."

The USA-Portugal game was the blockbuster match, garnering 18.2 million viewers on ESPN. This beat the second-most watched soccer game ever: The 1999 Women's World Cup final (USA vs. China) on ABC. (In soccer, the women's games are as thrilling as the men's.)

Run-of-the-mill, regular-season Sunday Night Football games average more than 20 million viewers; NFL playoff games get 30 to 40 million viewers; and this year's Super Bowl had 111.5 million viewers.

Remember when the media tried to foist British soccer star David Beckham and his permanently camera-ready wife on us a few years ago? Their arrival in America was heralded with 24-7 news coverage. That lasted about two days. Ratings tanked. No one cared.

If more "Americans" are watching soccer today, it's only because of the demographic switch effected by Teddy Kennedy's 1965 immigration law. I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time.

Guest firetotheworks

America is right, everyone else is wrong. Yep, that's why everyone else hates you and flies planes into your buildings and that.

Guest firetotheworks

You're face palming as if that isn't the world's general view of America. :lol: I'm not being harsh, it's just a bit of a given.

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html#read_more

AMERICA'S FAVORITE NATIONAL PASTIME: HATING SOCCER

June 25, 2014

I've held off on writing about soccer for a decade -- or about the length of the average soccer game -- so as not to offend anyone. But enough is enough. Any growing interest in soccer can only be a sign of the nation's moral decay.

(1) Individual achievement is not a big factor in soccer. In a real sport, players fumble passes, throw bricks and drop fly balls -- all in front of a crowd. When baseball players strike out, they're standing alone at the plate. But there's also individual glory in home runs, touchdowns and slam-dunks.

In soccer, the blame is dispersed and almost no one scores anyway. There are no heroes, no losers, no accountability, and no child's fragile self-esteem is bruised. There's a reason perpetually alarmed women are called "soccer moms," not "football moms."

Do they even have MVPs in soccer? Everyone just runs up and down the field and, every once in a while, a ball accidentally goes in. That's when we're supposed to go wild. I'm already asleep.

(2) Liberal moms like soccer because it's a sport in which athletic talent finds so little expression that girls can play with boys. No serious sport is co-ed, even at the kindergarten level.

(3) No other "sport" ends in as many scoreless ties as soccer. This was an actual marquee sign by the freeway in Long Beach, California, about a World Cup game last week: "2nd period, 11 minutes left, score: 0:0." Two hours later, another World Cup game was on the same screen: "1st period, 8 minutes left, score: 0:0." If Michael Jackson had treated his chronic insomnia with a tape of Argentina vs. Brazil instead of Propofol, he'd still be alive, although bored.

Even in football, by which I mean football, there are very few scoreless ties -- and it's a lot harder to score when a half-dozen 300-pound bruisers are trying to crush you.

(4) The prospect of either personal humiliation or major injury is required to count as a sport. Most sports are sublimated warfare. As Lady Thatcher reportedly said after Germany had beaten England in some major soccer game: Don't worry. After all, twice in this century we beat them at their national game.

Baseball and basketball present a constant threat of personal disgrace. In hockey, there are three or four fights a game -- and it's not a stroll on beach to be on ice with a puck flying around at 100 miles per hour. After a football game, ambulances carry off the wounded. After a soccer game, every player gets a ribbon and a juice box.

(5) You can't use your hands in soccer. (Thus eliminating the danger of having to catch a fly ball.) What sets man apart from the lesser beasts, besides a soul, is that we have opposable thumbs. Our hands can hold things. Here's a great idea: Let's create a game where you're not allowed to use them!

(6) I resent the force-fed aspect of soccer. The same people trying to push soccer on Americans are the ones demanding that we love HBO's "Girls," light-rail, Beyonce and Hillary Clinton. The number of New York Times articles claiming soccer is "catching on" is exceeded only by the ones pretending women's basketball is fascinating.

I note that we don't have to be endlessly told how exciting football is.

(7) It's foreign. In fact, that's the precise reason the Times is constantly hectoring Americans to love soccer. One group of sports fans with whom soccer is not "catching on" at all, is African-Americans. They remain distinctly unimpressed by the fact that the French like it.

(8) Soccer is like the metric system, which liberals also adore because it's European. Naturally, the metric system emerged from the French Revolution, during the brief intervals when they weren't committing mass murder by guillotine.

Despite being subjected to Chinese-style brainwashing in the public schools to use centimeters and Celsius, ask any American for the temperature, and he'll say something like "70 degrees." Ask how far Boston is from New York City, he'll say it's about 200 miles.

Liberals get angry and tell us that the metric system is more "rational" than the measurements everyone understands. This is ridiculous. An inch is the width of a man's thumb, a foot the length of his foot, a yard the length of his belt. That's easy to visualize. How do you visualize 147.2 centimeters?

(9) Soccer is not "catching on." Headlines this week proclaimed "Record U.S. ratings for World Cup," and we had to hear -- again -- about the "growing popularity of soccer in the United States."

The USA-Portugal game was the blockbuster match, garnering 18.2 million viewers on ESPN. This beat the second-most watched soccer game ever: The 1999 Women's World Cup final (USA vs. China) on ABC. (In soccer, the women's games are as thrilling as the men's.)

Run-of-the-mill, regular-season Sunday Night Football games average more than 20 million viewers; NFL playoff games get 30 to 40 million viewers; and this year's Super Bowl had 111.5 million viewers.

Remember when the media tried to foist British soccer star David Beckham and his permanently camera-ready wife on us a few years ago? Their arrival in America was heralded with 24-7 news coverage. That lasted about two days. Ratings tanked. No one cared.

If more "Americans" are watching soccer today, it's only because of the demographic switch effected by Teddy Kennedy's 1965 immigration law. I promise you: No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time.

:giggs:

Can we please stop posting that Ann Coulter piece?! :lol: Or indeed, any Ann Coulter piece? That's the third time, and each time we've had to point out that.she's an evil muppet who should be ignored (or prosecuted).

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/scamming-godfather-predicted-cameroon-0-croatia-4-and-cameroon-sending-off-alex-song-saw-red-der-spiegel/

Many observers of Alex Song’s preposterous red card for elbowing Mario Mandzukic during Cameroon’s 0-4 defeat to Croatia labeled it as the weirdest, and most unnecessary foul they’d ever seen.

And there may have been more to it that met the eye.

Convicted Singaporean Match-fixing ‘Godfather’, Wilson Raj Perumal, has told German paper Der Spiegel online that the game in question was fixed – and he’d called the outcome before kick-off.

According to Der Spiegel, a few hours before the game began, Perumal wrote in a Facebook message that Cameroon would lose the game 0-4, and that in the first half, one of their players would get sent off.

Alex Song was sent off for an elbow to Mandzukic in the 40th minute.

Perumal- who’s served several prison sentences for match-fixing, and has even written memoirs on his scamming days – told Der Spiegel that there are ‘seven ‘bad apples’ in the Cameroon team, who conspired to fix all three of Cameroon’s games.

Good lord...

Can we stop inviting Africa?

Do these unproven allegations regarding Cameroon represent the culture of an entire continent or something? Bit unfair to tarnish 55+ countries with same brush is it not?  ???

If this turns out to be true I'd like to see Cameroon given a long ban, even if it does affect innocent parties. It's incidents like these that fuel negative stereotypes on Africa like above, and as an African it's frustrating to say the least

Given the recent Ghana match-fixing scandal reported by Dispatches, the players going on strike over money, the Nigerian team missing training over money and now this Cameroon issue - you can understand where the stereotypes come from.

That's without even mentioning this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23412227

Or this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AS_Adema_149%E2%80%930_SO_l'Emyrne

Of course I can understand where the stereotypes come from- it still doesn't change the fact they're lazy assumptions which are unrepresentative of a developing continent. Essentially you're extrapolating the actions (some of which are unproven) of a few nations into the standard operating procedures of over a billion people and 55+ different countries, sorry I don't like that. Do you think all Africans are the same or something?

There's a long history of match-fixing in Italian football and nobody brands European football with the same brush.

2 South American federations where compromised with the same approach as Ghana during the run-up to WC2010 and Asian League football has its share of match-fixing problems.

"Last year Europol alleged that more than 380 professional matches in Europe and more than 300 matches played in Africa, Asia and central and South America were under suspicion as the scale of the activities of match fixing gangs from eastern Europe and Asia became clear."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/23/world-cup-corruption-allegations-fifa-ghana

It is certainly not an African specific problem.

Exactly! I could easily turn around and say that it's endemic in Europe (and therefore we shouldn't invite European countries to the WC by your logic), as allegations have been proven and acted upon (custodial sentences, relegation and long football bans have been handed out to the guilty parties) at the highest level. I don't, however, tar Europeans with the same brush- Italians are inherently different to British people, French people are different to Polish people and so on. This ill-informed popular belief that Africans are leading the way in corruption breathes pure arrogance in my opinion- sort your own house out first before commenting on the state of others.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27939919

All South American's can't build stadia.

:lol:

Well before the World Cup only South Americans tried to cheat or it was much less common in England. But by going by the English national team and their pathetic diving attempts against Uruguay that ain't true now is it?