Newcastle Utd 2 - 0 Chelsea - 02/11/13 - Post-match reaction from page 31

Mike

"If we get to the last 15-20 minutes of the game."

Jesus fucking Christ.

Pardew comes out before the game, tells Mourinho what our game plan is, dares him to do something about it and still wins the tactical battle.

:lol:

I was as delighted as anyone with the win, but as I alluded to in another pre-match post: setting up like that at home will never be for me and shows why I'll never be able to back a manager like Pardew. Ruined by Keegan and Robson, I suppose.

To me it's actually as high risk to be so ultra-defensive from the outset as it is to play our normal game, but I can't deny that it seems to suit Pardew's management style more.

Do you think this performance fits that theory though Rich? I know what you mean, it's high risk to invite pressure and just sit back. But we didn't quite do it like that, we just conserved our attacking energy for later in the game, made sure we were organised and closed them down well.

Easy to say don't set up like that at home, and in theory I would like to agree, but sadly there are many teams in the league with top attacking talent that will rip you to shreds if given the space.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Pardew comes out before the game, tells Mourinho what our game plan is, dares him to do something about it and still wins the tactical battle.

I was as delighted as anyone with the win, but as I alluded to in another pre-match post: setting up like that at home will never be for me and shows why I'll never be able to back a manager like Pardew. Ruined by Keegan and Robson, I suppose.

To me it's actually as high risk to be so ultra-defensive from the outset as it is to play our normal game, but I can't deny that it seems to suit Pardew's management style more.

It's the best chance we have of coming away from these games with a result. Wouldn't say we were ultra-defensive either.

Unless we get some nutjob like Bielsa in, the approach against the likes of Chelsea isn't going to vary much. Keegan and Robson benefited from having teams with nearly as much quality as the best in the league.

I'd agree, we weren't ultra defensive they were just much better at that time and were pushing us back.

While Keegan's attacking style was of course legendary, Bobby could set a team up for a 0-0 or a 1-0 when he needed to.

We were ultra defensive and hoofed it! Didn't press them much at all in the first half iyam.

Disagree. After the first 20 minutes we started to show a decent bit of attacking intent.

Well maybe not for the whole first half, but a bit more than 20 minutes imo.

We were ultra defensive and hoofed it! Didn't press them much at all in the first half iyam.

http://i43.tinypic.com/29e3a8l.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/14m9x6c.jpg

You can see the difference between our long balls and Chelsea's. 

We hit half as many, but it's an almost uniform set of forward punts, wheras Chelsea's is a  chaotic range of picked passes to and from all areas of the pitch.

At least we have learned that our punts are a waste of time though, so we do it much less than we used to.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Do you think this performance fits that theory though Rich? I know what you mean, it's high risk to invite pressure and just sit back. But we didn't quite do it like that, we just conserved our attacking energy for later in the game, made sure we were organised and closed them down well.

Easy to say don't set up like that at home, and in theory I would like to agree, but sadly there are many teams in the league with top attacking talent that will rip you to shreds if given the space.

I definitely think we set up in a very defensive manner for a home game and the first quarter especially made for very difficult viewing. You could tell by the atmosphere in the stadium and the comments on here that it wasn't just me who was uncomfortable with the approach either. If you're being honest you probably would have to agree that you couldn't have seen the way things would turn out at that point.

Moving the timeline on a bit I don't remember many being happy at half time either, even though we'd begun to turn the tide by about the half hour mark and controlled things from there.

The approach worked for Pardew here but who is to say that the outcome yesterday would have been different had we just gone for it from the start? Obviously it's impossible to gauge but Chelsea weren't exactly at-it yesterday, though I suppose some may argue that's because we squeezed the life out of them (something I wouldn't go along with).

My pre-match comments were influenced after seeing the team selection and hearing the same spiel that the manager has put out before (when the approach hasn't worked, by the way) as much as anything, glad they've come back to bite me on the harris.

Jesus fucking Christ.

It's the best chance we have of coming away from these games with a result. Wouldn't say we were ultra-defensive either.

Unless we get some nutjob like Bielsa in, the approach against the likes of Chelsea isn't going to vary much. Keegan and Robson benefited from having teams with nearly as much quality as the best in the league.

Not sure this is entirely true as it sort of assumes there's only one way to play against the "big clubs", which definitely isn't the case.

Just like I wouldn't advocate going all-out attack every single time either.

Off the back of the derby defeat and another loss to City it was probably the way to go here, though, I'll give you that.

Jesus f***ing Christ.

Thing is, against likes of Chelsea, it's not easy to come out firing against with the quality they have. They are title challengers for a reason and not many sides can come out from the off and take control of the game from the first whistle, no matter what your style of play is.

Martinez earlier in the season played them at home and it was all Chelsea mainly in the first half and that's where the best chances were but everton nicked a goal around half way mark and stifled Chelsea out for the rest of the game.

Sometimes against these types of sides you just need to ride your luck and stay in the game and take your chances when they arrive, that’s what us and Everton did and it worked a treat. Chelsea would have still beat the majority of sides at the weekend even when not at their best but we were very organised and worked hard for each other which made things difficult for them and it’s credit to ourselves for doing so.

Jesus fucking Christ.

I'd agree, we weren't ultra defensive they were just much better at that time and were pushing us back.

While Keegan's attacking style was of course legendary, Bobby could set a team up for a 0-0 or a 1-0 when he needed to.

Don't recall seeing him do it at home much, if at all, he'd typically whack the strongest side out there in a 4-4-2 and go toe-to-toe wouldn't he?

In the first half particularly we played with two deep, compact banks of four and only really began venturing forward as a unit beyond the half hour mark, which is what I would consider a very defensive approach to a home game. "Ultra" may be a bit OTT, given we still had two strikers out there staying high up the pitch.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Not sure this is entirely true as it sort of assumes there's only one way to play against the "big clubs", which definitely isn't the case.

Just like I wouldn't advocate going all-out attack every single time either.

Off the back of the derby defeat and another loss to City it was probably the way to go here, though, I'll give you that.

Clearly it is possible to come out on the front foot against the BIG BOYS and win, but you do run the risk of being out of the game after 30 minutes.

Haven't got an issue with the way Pardew approaches these matches, we've pulled off a few canny results this way. It's the tactics against the Hulls and Sunderlands that are worrying.

It's fine as a strategy when it works, like most. However the problem with this and pretty much every strategy that pardew implements is that had Chelsea scored, we would not have been able to answer it. This is what will ultimately keep us on mediocrity under pardew

They went 2-1 up last year with half an hour to play and he answered it?

I agree it's a risky tactic, but i think it's a tactic the majority of sides opt for against likes of Chelsea. How many times have you seen 'lesser' sides come out and outplay them from the off and get the 3 points, not many. Our biggest problem tactically at the moment is we struggle to break down a side that has 10 behind the ball and looks only to counter us. We haven't managed to get a flowing system going in this type of game that is capable of churning out chance after chance until we break them down then go on to win comfortably. That's something Pardew is having a hard job of grasping and it massively needs improving.

Guest neesy111

Thankfully the risk paid off on Saturday, on another day it might work again or it might not.  The key is to start to get a good run of results with consistency in our play now.

It's fine as a strategy when it works, like most. However the problem with this and pretty much every strategy that pardew implements is that had Chelsea scored, we would not have been able to answer it. This is what will ultimately keep us on mediocrity under pardew

They went 2-1 up last year with half an hour to play and he answered it?

Care to enlighten me on the  amount of games we've turned a deficit around to a win?

I'll pass on that offer :lol:

Now the dust has settled on this one, I think we were all pissed off with the starting line up and what appeared to be a defeatist attitude towards the game, Pardew even came out and declared our tactic for the game!

Kudos though, he did what he set up to do and we won, I don't think anyone on here would have predicted the outcome, even after half an hour.

BUT, this is meat and drink Pardew, it worked this time, it always seems to work against Chelski, my problem is a lack of plan B and reactive substitutes/tactics rather than proactive. Had we conceeded first I couldn't say I'd be any way confident that a similar result would have been possible.

I'll take the win and well done Pardew, however it's probably just another peak in our usual "mixed bag" season. Here's to Pardew proving me wrong, but not holding my breath.

:anguish: anyone listen to BBC radio 5 podcast? The first nufc caller. Awful.

sorry Brett if that was you :thup:

:troll:

Was he saying how mint our players are, we will be top 8, Hughton should be sacked, Swansea will struggle, Southampton will fade and Pardew is still shit. If so, aye that was  :aww: