Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I see your point. Pardew's tactics might encounter the odd woeful scoreline, doesn't mean to say he should change them. We bounced back in the 5th season when we did come across one so hopefully we can do the same this time around. Wasn't really expecting going to OT on the back of 3-0 defeat, like. They haven't been too good themselves though without RVP though so we shouldn't build them up to be anything they aren't. They are losing their fear factor under Moyes imo.

Got to laugh at the Pardew logic. Sitting back despite them not having Bony, Michu and Britton etc. Last night wasn't unlucky, it was predictable and always going to happen at some point. I can accept sitting back against teams who are stronger than us but against Swansea and their depleted squad. Unacceptable. 

I see your point. Pardew's tactics might encounter the odd woeful scoreline, doesn't mean to say he should change them. We bounced back in the 5th season when we did come across one so hopefully we can do the same this time around. Wasn't really expecting going to OT on the back of 3-0 defeat, like. They haven't been too good themselves though without RVP though so we shouldn't build them up to be anything they aren't. They are losing their fear factor under Moyes imo.

aye, i was also the one praising pardew for the bounceback games during the 5th season too if you remember?  i think we'll lose at the weekend still and then we'll see, fingers crossed

as regards changing the tactics, well, changing them would be fucking suicidal at this point but they need to avoid something demoralising vs. manyoo then get right back on it

aye, i was also the one praising pardew for the bounceback games during the 5th season too if you remember?  i think we'll lose at the weekend still and then we'll see, fingers crossed

as regards changing the tactics, well, changing them would be f***ing suicidal at this point but they need to avoid something demoralising vs. manyoo then get right back on it

Agreed. Haven't seen highlights of their game last night so don't know if Everton were full value or Man Utd were unlucky but hopefully we can go there and just give a good account of ourselves.

Forget the scoreline, just watching Swansea toying with us and passing it all around us while we chased shadows was as clear an example of the difference between a manager who understands passing football and one who is groping in the dark. At times it seemed like they had 10 players in our half as they pushed forward, and no doubt we'd have hit them on the break if we could get the ball off them. And that was them with no strikers :lol:

Guest Haris Vuckic

Aye more direct I suppose but the intention from us was the same. Difference is Swansea are better.

Watch that video of Laudrup passes again and you can definitely see his style in Swansea. :thup:

Forget the scoreline, just watching Swansea toying with us and passing it all around us while we chased shadows was as clear an example of the difference between a manager who understands passing football and one who is groping in the dark. At times it seemed like they had 10 players in our half as they pushed forward, and no doubt we'd have hit them on the break if we could get the ball off them. And that was them with no strikers :lol:

Come on now, Tron, you can't be seeing the same game as some on the Match thread - they think that Swansea play 'boring' football and we had better players in every position...!!

No, I can't believe it either..!

We had better players 1 to 11, they had a better tactics.

The game is about results - or seemingly it was whilst Pardew was getting them...the result tells you that you are wrong. They beat us by 3 clear goals without their best two strikers.

Your Emperor has no new clothes.....

The game is about results - or seemingly it was whilst Pardew was getting them...the result tells you that you are wrong. They beat us by 3 clear goals without their best two strikers.

Which of their players last night would've been picked if he was a member of our squad?

I'll save you the trouble of looking, none of them.

Which of their players last night would've been picked if he was a member of our squad?

I'll save you the trouble of looking, none of them.

Was he not joking? Surely he must have been?

We weren't chasing shadows in that 2-0 when Rodgers was there. They're passing gane has a different dynamic to it under Laudrup than it ever did under Rodgers.

That is true, although, having better players will naturally lead to a more incisive team. I thought a big difference from 11/12 was our pressing, we were happy for them to keep the ball in certain areas in that game but we pressed at really good times, usually in higher central areas. We didn't do that yesterday, it was much deeper and we were letting their deepest centre mid have as much of the ball as he wanted, they managed to start some good quick combinations from him.

Pards got the tactics spot on today IMO - the same tactics that saw us beat Swansea last year and win 4 on the bounce just this season.

The players let him down today, and the luck went against us and a bad referee too. FWIW on another day we'd have nicked this 1-0. Krul let us down.

Let's just get behind Pards and hope for a reaction to the end of this glorious run and a wave too.

:thup:

The same tactics that has been criticized by plenty on here even after four wins...

I was going to leave that for tonight and bring it up tomorrow but the claim of sitting back "all the time" after taking a lead etc, I watched west brom-villa the other week, west brom 2-0 up at half time and the second half they got battered, was that because they sat back or two teams without a gulf between them and when one takes a lead the other has more of a need to attack a bit more (like the start of the second half tonight actually). i don't think we have tactics to do that constantly, we have done it at times and we've normally paid for it, but most times it's the natural way of things like we witnessed on the box at the hawthorns.

What a load of shit :lol:

I find it interesting that we were originally talking about comparing squads from the last 5-10 years to the current one and now we're going back to the year we nearly won the title almost 20 years ago like. :lol:

Not that I agree Pardew's doing better with his resources as such, just saying.

He's comparing a team which was forced to play with Ian Rush and John Barnes to the one we have today.  :lol:

:lol:

forced?

You think anyone but Dalglish would have signed those 2 at that stage of their career?

Dalglish inherited a title chasing team full of verve and dragged it down to 13th. Pardew took a championship squad up to 5th.

Was it shite a Championship squad.

In that it was by and large the squad that competed in the championship.

Expectations from that squad were bottom half at best.

Why are you ignoring the signings we made between when we got promoted and when we finished 5th?

I'm not.

I spoke of the teams inherited and where they took them.

Dalglish bought the likes of barnes, Rush, Tommasson, Pistone, Andersson, Guivarch and hamilton (as well as some excellent signings) and turned Keegans entertainers into strugglers.

Pardew inherited a team capable of walking the championship, but expected to be battling in the Premier League, and with a couple of additions that hardly cost a thing got us to 5th.

I don't even know why you've insisted on taking the conversation down this route tbh.

What do we disagree on?

I find it interesting that we were originally talking about comparing squads from the last 5-10 years to the current one and now we're going back to the year we nearly won the title almost 20 years ago like. :lol:

He's comparing a team which was forced to play with Ian Rush and John Barnes to the one we have today.  :lol:

forced?

You think anyone but Dalglish would have signed those 2 at that stage of their career?

Dalglish inherited a title chasing team full of verve and dragged it down to 13th. Pardew took a championship squad up to 5th.

Why are you ignoring the signings we made between when we got promoted and when we finished 5th?

I'm not.

Dalglish bought the likes of barnes, Rush, Tommasson, Pistone, Andersson, Guivarch and hamilton (as well as some excellent signings) and turned Keegans entertainers into strugglers.

Pardew inherited a team capable of walking the championship, but expected to be battling in the Premier League, and with a couple of additions that hardly cost a thing got us to 5th.

I don't even know why you've insisted on taking the conversation down this route tbh.

What do we disagree on?

I'm talking about getting the best out of the resources available, which is what we started on.  I'm not talking about how the squad has developed in terms of player recruitment and why would I when Pardew has no say in this?  I'm simply saying that Pardew has better players than any manager we've had since Robson, so this should be taken into account when you're directly comparing managers' records.

So you calling Pardew's squad a Championship squad is misleading in the extreme - we've added numerous players to that squad that were identified by a scout.  Also we blitzed the Championship as we still had a number of good Premier League players.  When you say he took a Championship squad to 5th it implies you're talking about roughly the same squad or implying his knack in the transfer market had something to do with it.

forced?

I'm not.

What do we disagree on?

I'm talking about getting the best out of the resources available, which is what we started on.  I'm not talking about how the squad has developed in terms of player recruitment and why would I when Pardew has no say in this?  I'm simply saying that Pardew has better players than any manager we've had since Robson, so this should be taken into account when you're directly comparing managers' records.

So you calling Pardew's squad a Championship squad is misleading in the extreme - we've added numerous players to that squad that were identified by a scout.  Also we blitzed the Championship as we still had a number of good Premier League players.  When you say he took a Championship squad to 5th it implies you're talking about roughly the same squad or implying his knack in the transfer market had something to do with it.

If you accept that Pardew has better players than any manager since Robson (happy to do that, despite Souness inheriting Robson's team that were disappointed with 5th) then it's right and proper that he has out-performed all of them.  In terms of Dave's narrow criteria of  a comfortable win at least, and in terms of league finishes and points, performance is debateable.

To what degree he should do better is also debatable.  The reason to go back to Robson and earlier is because people have stated that comparisons with our previous 7 managers shit are objectionable (suggesting he's not that shit).