Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If we sack Pardew, we'll be in the bottom 4 this time next season apparently  :lol:

Based on what? These guys are ridiculous.

Probably based on this time last season when we were in the bottom five. Er, wait a minute...

what are they actually basing it on? I'm in Croatia, can't watch

They're basing it on nothing at all, nothing at all, nothing at all

If we sack Pardew, we'll be in the bottom 4 this time next season apparently  :lol:

Probably based on this time last season when we were in the bottom five. Er, wait a minute...

No idea, I have no intention of watching those backslapping arseholes.

I'll bet the table looks a lot better in Croatia.

Guest tollemache

TRon: You don't base hirings and firings on a derby defeat where you've just lost your main playmaker and your two best attackers are out. That'd be silly wouldn't it

Guest tollemache

Looks about the same I think. Does yours have the teams lined up roughly in order of how good they are and how much money they've spent?

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/premier-league-player-salaries-club-by-club/

More evidence for the fact that we are roughly the 8th strongest team in the division. Not that we really need more evidence because it really is embarrassingly obvious.

Sunderland 3 Newcastle 0.

f*** off.

People seem to forget that Ashley doesn't pay much attention to losing to Sunderland.  To him it's no differnt if we lose to west brom etc.

tollemache has been making the exact same arguments about Pardew and Ashley for over two years now, so no surprise to see him still going on about 'long term'. Quite when long term comes into play is anyone's guess.

TRon: You don't base hirings and firings on a derby defeat where you've just lost your main playmaker and your two best attackers are out. That'd be silly wouldn't it

You're right. It was only a one off after all.

Looks about the same I think. Does yours have the teams lined up roughly in order of how good they are and how much money they've spent?

I'm not trying to look down on you or anything, just a genuine question. Do you watch our games?

Guest tollemache

I'm not trying to look down on you or anything, just a genuine question. Do you watch our games?

Yes. Did you see the bit above where I said the style of play was a totally different discussion and that I'm not about to defend sluggish, unadventurous 4-4-2s?

One of Pardew's biggest failings has been his inability to improve players.

If the club's policy is to buy cheap and sell high, then they are struggling with that. 

I would have thought Ashley would have serious concerns about the lack of development in the talented players we have.

Ben Arfa was supposed to be the "crown jewels" and now people are saying we would be lucky to get £5m for him when the club would have been expecting £20m+.

Several other players have not kicked on as expected e.g. Santon, Sissoko, MYM and Cisse.  OK the exception was Cabaye but last season, he didn't look like a £20m player.

When Ashley has reduced the club's potential for increasing revenue to just the TV money and player sales, he has a major problem if one of those areas is not working.  I could imagine that he is looking to sell at least one player for a big profit each year to fund transfers and there's only been Carroll so far and now Cabaye.

If the players are genuinely disillusioned with Pardew and there were also rumours of that being the case last season as well, Ashley will need to act.

He is good at making supposedly poor players better than they are.

Sums the man up basically, give him proven quality and he will struggle. When the pressure is off and everyone thinks a player will be shite he will get them playing above their apparent level.

Guest tollemache

Tollemache is only expressing the views from how ashley and the media sees the situation.  And he's right, they see things completely different from the fans.

I'm a fan. I really really really want the club to improve, win, play good football, get into Europe, challenge for top 4.... all of it. I don't like the idea of bobbing around between 6th and 10th for the next ten years one bit. I'll get antsy if we don't make progress (or try to). I just think that right now we're about exactly where we should be in the league, as far as our squad goes. As far as my long-term patience goes, this summer is pretty important

Tollemache is only expressing the views from how ashley and the media sees the situation.  And he's right, they see things completely different from the fans.

Yes I think that's about right. The 7000 missing fans at St James on Wednesday are obviously clueless.

I'm a fan. I really really really want the club to improve, win, play good football, get into Europe, challenge for top 4.... all of it. I don't like the idea of bobbing around between 6th and 10th for the next ten years one bit. I'll get antsy if we don't make progress (or try to). I just think that right now we're about exactly where we should be in the league, as far as our squad goes. As far as my long-term patience goes, this summer is pretty important

The fuck is this? Yeah, THIS summer will be the one that tells us what Ashley really wants.

Guest tollemache

Definitely did well in the last 2 transfer windows.

They were skewed by the hyperactive January before that, which was a combination of deals that should've happened the previous summer but couldn't close out and deals we wanted to do the summer after but had to rush. This January doesn't bother me one bit because the season was fucked by then in terms of dramatically overperforming - I'd rather we did good business this summer than unnecessarily spunking loads of money on Grenier or an inferior version of him, just to have a stab at finishing 8th rather than 9th. But we do really have to do something this summer.

Definitely did well in the last 2 transfer windows.

They were skewed by the hyperactive January before that, which was a combination of deals that should've happened the previous summer but couldn't close out and deals we wanted to do the summer after but had to rush. This January doesn't bother me one bit because the season was f***ed by then in terms of dramatically overperforming - I'd rather we did good business this summer than unnecessarily spunking loads of money on Grenier or an inferior version of him, just to have a stab at finishing 8th rather than 9th. But we do really have to do something this summer.

We need to do something right now, and that is sacking our manager.

Guest tollemache

I wouldn't be disappointed if we changed our manager but making the 8th best team in the league finish 8th (or similar) isn't the kind of form that'll get a manager sacked so I'm going to say that will not happen.

Guest tollemache

Whereas TRon here would sack anyone who failed to overachieve by at least 3 positions in the league, and anyone who lost a derby, regardless of the personnel on the pitch at the time.

Ah whatever. As above, if we suddenly announced that Louis van Gaal was coming I'd jizz myself