Newcastle United 1 - 1 Southampton - 14/12/13 - post-match reaction from page 32

Beren

Don't get people being angry. It was a good game to watch and on another day we would have nicked it. Southampton are a good side with plenty of players we'd like in our squad.

The best and worst of Ben Arfa. Cisse so much worse an option than Shola at this point its not even funny. Perma offside. Is he thick or what?

It was a Southampton side with half a dozen first team players out.

We we're almost full strength coming off the back of our first win at Old Trafford in 41 years.

Expectations really have been lowered under Pardew and Ashley

Lalana (sp?), Rodriguez and co have caused plenty of problems for teams a lot better than us.

We were done on the counter after a terrible mistake. It happens. Can't win em all. Last season we'd have buckled and lost.

Doesn't detract from what I wrote.

As Rodriguez is a decent player but no world beater, and Lallana only played for 45 minutes.

If our manager had a more positive attitude and told his players to go out and put them to the sword instead of telling them to drop deeper and tighten up we would have put them to the sword.

It's becoming pathetic seeing our lads trudge out for the second half looking scared to express themselves.

Ah c'mon. Scared to express themselves? I don't doubt we've stupidly gone defensive in past games, but I didn't see that today. We got done for piling too many forward if anything. When Remy's off colour there's not enough goals in this team to put anyone to the sword, regardless of the manager's attitude.

Honestly, the way Southampton dugout reacted to their goal and some decisions was utterly unprofessional. Lost all respect I had for them. Realise we arnt angels but was really surprised by it. Disappointing really.

Never understood why people were happy to see them doing well tbh. They're a team of spoilers.

Cisse is now basically a less skillful Marlon Harewood.

Decent result against a good side. Would have won if Pardew could make adjustments to Southampton's HT subs. Which does not necessarily mean "OMG he's negative attack attack" because otherwise we played well.

F*ck off.... most of their best players didn't play and they have lost 3 out of last 4 games before today.

Plus we are better than they are so we should be winning at home, amazing what has happened to fans of this football club absolutely zero ambition anymore.

Happy with drawing at home to f*cking Southampton ffs.... you are going to have a party at the end of the season when we finish 8th aint ya? f*cking joke.

Yes i'm angry right now, who cares f*** off.

Calm down. We're playing well. One average result and unlucky point and the fucking moaning starts again.

Fine line between having reasonable expectations for results and exactly the sort of stupid expectations the media accuse the club of having.

Decent game. NUFC were very dangerous in the first half, but didn't offer much at all in the second until allowing Southampton to score. NUFC easily could have scored 2-3 in the first 45, but couldn't have begrudged a loss in the 2nd, imo.

Ratings:

Krul 6- Poor distribution as per usual. Stood tall when necessary as per usual.

Debuchy 8- Did very well at both ends.

Williamson 7-Strong in both boxes

Coloccini 6- Mixed bag. Caught out a few times.

Santon 5- Error was unlucky and magnified by the what resulted, but that's football. Fine otherwise.

Sissoko 6-A bit wasteful given the positions he found himself on a break. There are times when he really looks out of place going forward, and others when he looks brilliant.

Anita 8- He's not Cabaye (they have different games), but he did what he does very well. Simple forward thinking balls, good movement, and good feet.

Tiote 7- Good. Not as good as the last few matches, but still more than adequate.

Gouffran 7-Worked very hard and had a very composed finish. Didn't provide too much attacking otherwise, though.

Shola 5- Didn't provide anything, imo. He's been good of late, but it was ineffective today.

Remy 6-Below his standards. Should have scored. Still a good outlet.

Cisse 6-Not really int he game at all.

Ben Arfa 6- A few very good moments, one poor decision, and one hesitation when he should have shot. Fine overall, needed more time.

Haidara N/A-Nothing to do.

Don't get people being angry. It was a good game to watch and on another day we would have nicked it. Southampton are a good side with plenty of players we'd like in our squad.

The best and worst of Ben Arfa. Cisse so much worse an option than Shola at this point its not even funny. Perma offside. Is he thick or what?

It was a Southampton side with half a dozen first team players out.

We we're almost full strength coming off the back of our first win at Old Trafford in 41 years.

Expectations really have been lowered under Pardew and Ashley

Lalana (sp?), Rodriguez and co have caused plenty of problems for teams a lot better than us.

We were done on the counter after a terrible mistake. It happens. Can't win em all. Last season we'd have buckled and lost.

Doesn't detract from what I wrote.

As Rodriguez is a decent player but no world beater, and Lallana only played for 45 minutes.

If our manager had a more positive attitude and told his players to go out and put them to the sword instead of telling them to drop deeper and tighten up we would have put them to the sword.

It's becoming pathetic seeing our lads trudge out for the second half looking scared to express themselves.

Ah c'mon. Scared to express themselves? I don't doubt we've stupidly gone defensive in past games, but I didn't see that today. We got done for piling too many forward if anything. When Remy's off colour there's not enough goals in this team to put anyone to the sword, regardless of the manager's attitude.

Pardew likes to protect leads.

Everytime we are leading at the break we come for the second half like cowards.

What annoys me about is that their goal was so avoidable and naive from us. When you are one nil up and you are attacking at least one of your midfielders should be guarding the back four to stop the risk of a counter attack. It was like a goal you would see when a team is chasing a game and the other team counters, not the other way around

:thup: Where we lost the ball, the goal shouldn't come that simply.

Not the worst result but fucking frustrating to miss the chances we did and too often make the wrong decision.

The way we started the second half was a complete botch job too but that has long been established as standard practice.

As soon as Southampton came out 2nd half we were desperate for a extra body in central midfield to get control of the ball, Pardew subs Ameobi for Cisse. That sub made no sense whatsoever. Pardew's reactions to oppositions who change things is so poor it's untrue. Something so many have said on here.

We see it coming, i even think the players do but Pardew never seems to, it really is quite bizarre how poor he is when it happens.

I said more or less the same thing in the Pardew thread without even seeing this post. We were 1-0 up at home against a weakened S'ton team and regardless of the result we should have been able to impose ourselves more in that second half.

Not the worst result but f***ing frustrating to miss the chances we did and too often make the wrong decision.

The way we started the second half was a complete botch job too but that has long been established as standard practice.

It's exceedingly rare that we ever manage more than 45 mins of decent football.

Saw nowt of the game but a draw isn't a terrible result. I can fully believe we should've won, like. Win at Palace and the form guide still looks terrific.

Opportunity missed but a predictable and solid enough result. Disappointing to hear about Cisse being as much use as a chocolate fireguard, again - guy's totally finished.

Guest bimpy474

As soon as Southampton came out 2nd half we were desperate for a extra body in central midfield to get control of the ball, Pardew subs Ameobi for Cisse. That sub made no sense whatsoever. Pardew's reactions to oppositions who change things is so poor it's untrue. Something so many have said on here.

We see it coming, i even think the players do but Pardew never seems to, it really is quite bizarre how poor he is when it happens.

I said more or less the same thing in the Pardew thread without even seeing this post. We were 1-0 up at home against a weakened S'ton team and regardless of the result we should have been able to impose ourselves more in that second half.

It is weird we can do it at Old Trafford, yet bottle it against Southampton. I know Cabaye was missing but Pardew's attitude that we needed to keep the ball last week but not so much this (hence Krul going long a lot today), well i hate that. We should always want to keep the ball.

He tried to move Sissoko there but for some reason it had no effect. Sissoko almost seemed to play too high as a second striker.

Saw nowt of the game but a draw isn't a terrible result. I can fully believe we should've won, like. Win at Palace and the form guide still looks terrific.

Opportunity missed but a predictable and solid enough result. Disappointing to hear about Cisse being as much use as a chocolate fireguard, again - guy's totally finished.

If you saw Remy's misses there's no way you'd be saying this.

Absolutely. It's as if he didn't notice how bringing on Ben Arfa killed the game against Man Utd. Frustrating.

It is weird we can do it at Old Trafford, yet bottle it against Southampton. I know Cabaye was missing but Pardew's attitude that we needed to keep the ball last week but not so much this (hence Krul going long a lot today), well i hate that. We should always want to keep the ball.

No, at Manu the onus was on them to play and us to stop them. We were the underdog, players know it and they went out there to prove themselves.

Today, we're favourites, we have to impose ourselves against a team of lesser players.

Unfortunately they had most of the ball, we had a couple of decent spells but we seemed to rely on mistakes or breaks to get good opportunities  at goal.

We don't a particularly effective system of attack.

Really? I've not said anything particularly contentious there have I? Opportunity missed but not a terrible result...? Like I say, I checked the score at HT and knew I'd be getting frustrated texts from my Dad for the duration of the next 45 mins. Part of me would prefer us to go in at the break level. 

I can understand the frustration with the team today, I, think it's time to be a bit more thoughtful about things. Aye we didn't win, but can't win them all and Southampton look a solid side. Onwards and upwards with Palace, next week when Cabaye returns. :)

The players naturally sit back as soon as we score, it's rarely even about the half time chat although that never helps.

At 1-0 when Shola went down the right and put it inside for Anita, who then wriggled through a challenge and looked up for a man, there was one in the box with everyone else hanging back. They'd had plenty of time to get up but none were interested. This happens time and time again, and yet I never see it when we're not already winning. Does my fucking head in. They've had it drilled into them for far too long that a one goal lead will always suffice.

Really? I've not said anything particularly contentious there have I? Opportunity missed but not a terrible result...? Like I say, I checked the score at HT and knew I'd be getting frustrated texts from my Dad for the duration of the next 45 mins. Part of me would prefer us to go in at the break level. 

It is a terrible result to have given up the lead to a team who only tried to spoil the game and who's goal came from our own mistake. Especially after Remy missed two of the easiest chances we'll get all season.

Their goalkeeper basically said 'here have a goal' and he still put it miles wide.