Newcastle United 5 - 1 Stoke City - 26/12/13 - post-match reaction from page 39

Rich

on a side note we were speaking to some stokies in the pub after (they thought both sendings off were harsh......fancy that!) but they were saying that they werent the same without pulis and they admitted he played a horrible brand of football for the neutral but for their team it was exciting as it lead to a lot of stuff happening in and round the box and for a while it got results. without the ball getting to the box so quick the crowd has less excitement and the atmosphere is struggling as a result and they'll probably drift round for 3 or 4 more seasons, a manager or three before being relegated.

People used to kick off with Debuchy all the time for his petulant bookings, the same would happen if a player was sent off for what Whelan did.

Also see the majority of fan reaction to Coloccini's red against Liverpool. He didn't even make contact with Suarez but most accepted it because the intent was there.

Both bookings were harsh for the first Red. Although he was pretty stupid for going on the way he did after being booked. He only has himself to blame for that. Cabaye knew what he was doing when he went down for the second though, in my opinion.

Bit of gamesmanship, nice to see us being like that for a change, we're normally too nice.

Second Red was definitely correct, and obviously the penalty. Remy's pen wasn't great but at least he hit the target. Good save from the m*ckem twat.

Then I think the referee could be forgiven for not giving the Willo' handball. It was more ball-to-hand than vice versa, and he was only a few yards away. If that had have been a 'top' side the media wouldn't be talking about it so much - wankers.

I thought Hughes was harshly sent off to the stands too, to be fair.

I thought the ball was out for Gouffrans goal, but the linesman could be forgiven for that also, as he was behind the man.

From there onwards there was only going to be one outcome, a Newcastle win. I thought Pardews tactics weren't quite right at the start but the Red cards gave him the nudge to say "go for it". Once we got the equaliser and went more attacking we absolutely annihilated them. It was very good to see us put someone to the sword like we did.

All in all, I hope we are solid and get in their faces tomorrow. A tight first half hour will see us grown in strength on and off the pitch and I think things will become a little more nervy with them making a few more mistakes. Capitalise on just one and I cannot see us being beat. We're in good form and I think that's instilled belief in the team, and subsequently more resilience.

They are going to be going on about this for ages aren't they.

Aye.

Like I said in the Pardew thread - We have worked our bollocks off since the defeat at the SoS and played all the top sides. With form only second to Man City for the last 10 games. There's only been one of those games where I think we were a bit lucky and that was 'Spurs. We've made our luck and duly received it all against Stoke. Clean slate again tomorrow to make some more luck, through hard-work and determination.  :smug:

The first yellow was as obvious as you can get because he booted the ball away about 2 seconds after the ref had blown his whistle. The second one might have seemed soft it the challenge was on anyone other than the bloke who he'd just tried start a fight with a couple of minutes earlier  :lol:

The red was a stone waller.

I'd be p*ssed with the handball but it wasn't as if it was intentional, handballs like that get ignored all the time because there's nothing a player can do about them. I've heard some of their fans say Iron Mike should have been off because he denied a clear goalscoring opportunity because Peiters was in on goal  :lol:

HBA went out of play but as if it would have made any difference by then.

The ref is there to administer the laws of the game, so unless someone is saying that Whelan didn't kick the ball away, and didn't have a kick at Cabaye, there's no grounds for complaint.

Seriously, what's the problem here?

The first yellow was as obvious as you can get because he booted the ball away about 2 seconds after the ref had blown his whistle. The second one might have seemed soft it the challenge was on anyone other than the bloke who he'd just tried start a fight with a couple of minutes earlier  :lol:

The red was a stone waller.

I'd be p*ssed with the handball but it wasn't as if it was intentional, handballs like that get ignored all the time because there's nothing a player can do about them. I've heard some of their fans say Iron Mike should have been off because he denied a clear goalscoring opportunity because Peiters was in on goal  :lol:

HBA went out of play but as if it would have made any difference by then.

Ben Arfa didn't take the ball out of play, it just looked like that because MOST of the ball had crossed MOST of the line.

The only thing they can be pissed off with IMO is the handball, and by then they were down to 10 and were gonna get over-run anyway. So they should be pissed off with the stupidity of their players and manager really, but this is Stoke we're talking about here. Fuck em.

The ref is there to administer the laws of the game, so unless someone is saying that Whelan didn't kick the ball away, and didn't have a kick at Cabaye, there's no grounds for complaint.

Seriously, what's the problem here?

:thup: As Madras said, there were 3 incidents in the first booking that could have got Whelan a yellow. Cabaye must have been running a fine line too.

The second he went through the back of him and didn't get the ball, as if someone like Tiote wouldn't have got dogs abuse for the same challenge.

As you said, by the letter of the law both were fully justified. You just can't do that and he knew because he practically had his wash bag out before Atkinson put his hand in his pocket. Players stand and argue like fuck if they think they don't deserve it. He knew.