Newcastle United 5 - 1 Stoke City - 26/12/13 - post-match reaction from page 39

Rich

Hughes is a shit cunt and his players are too.

Whelan's first yellow: soft foul but three different offences so a good decision, Cabaye perhaps lucky to escape Scott free

Whelan's second yellow: sheer aggression with no attempt to play ball, good decision

Hughes's red card: acting like a prick, acknowledged in interview, good decision

Wilson's red card: clear goalscoring opportunity, good decision

Williamson's handball: poor decision, wouldn't have effected result

Ben Arfa's assist: poor decision, ball went out, wouldn't have effected result

Second penalty appeal/award: Hatem clearly hacked down, good decision

Third penalty appeal/dismissal: contentious one, clear push on Cabaye, fair enough decision

Fourth penalty appeal/dismissal: rough challenge but probably got enough of the ball, fair enough decision

I cant stand Hughes as nothing is ever his or his teams fault but all he did was kick the ball back on the pitch. That really was all he did as shown on Soccer Extra this morning. His sending off was a joke and ridiculous and shows just how precious 4th officials can be.

I feel so wrong sticking up for him.

There was already a ball on the pitch though, so he was just being a cunt.

Not according to Kamara this morning, ah well then, hang the cunt.

They came back to it after the break and Kamara apologised as he didn't realise.

Didn't he leave the box as well to kick the ball onto the pitch?

It's easy to feel sorry for stoke after everything went against them in 5 minutes, but they really have noone else to blame than themselves.

They should actually consider them lucky for getting away with only 2 penalties, 5-1 and two red cards. It sounds absurd though.

I'm not happy with these pundits claiming the ball went out before HBAs' cross for our 2nd. None have which have been backed up by a camera angle looking along the line. The lino has to be sure it's crossed the line or he can't give it. I bet had this been subject of the new, goal line technology it would have been proved not to have crossed the line.

Stoke were looking quite comfortable before the sending offs but wasted all their good work.

I'm not happy with these pundits claiming the ball went out before HBAs' cross for our 2nd. None have which have been backed up by a camera angle looking along the line. The lino has to be sure it's crossed the line or he can't give it. I bet had this been subject of the new, goal line technology it would have been proved not to have crossed the line.

Stoke were looking quite comfortable before the sending offs but wasted all their good work.

was it match of they day where they claimed it was deffo over?  as I looked the angle was from somewhere over the east stand and it looked like maybe a quater of the ball was still on the line.

Robbie Savage just straight out said on MOTD that the ball went out without any shred of evidence that it actually did

It went out. They showed it on Soccer Extra this morning. There was daylight between the line and the ball before it was crossed.

Just because you can see the grass doesn't necessarily mean the whole ball is over.

It went out. They showed it on Soccer Extra this morning. There was daylight between the line and the ball before it was crossed.

Just because you can see the grass doesn't necessarily mean the whole ball is over.

exactly, it just means the ball is off the ground. if its the pic i saw it proved nothing, and i suspect the ball was slightly on the line.

Initially thought he'd over-run it and some of the ball was definitely over the line without question, but it never looked like the whole of the ball was over the whole of the line.

Also didn't show the two stone wall penalties that weren't given. I guess that didn't fit with the 'Martin Atkinson with the greatest screw job ever against Stoke!!!!111eleven' narrative though.

Aye, funny that.

I watched soccer extra too. They showed it from the same angle as motd that proves nothing. I'm yet to see a camera angle that was looking along the line and remain unconvinced.  The lino was looking along the line. The ball was travelling quickly and I don't think the lino could be sure enough to say it was over. What gets me is the likes of Savage on motd sounding so sure it was out without anything to back that up.

To be fair most of the time a linesman will give that as over the line, but from the angles shown it looks a good decision. No way can anyone say for sure that the whole of the ball crossed the whole of the line.

Apart from Robbie fucking Savage. Match of the Day really is so fucking shit, the 'expert' pundits just resort to shit quips and stereotypes and opinions on games they haven't even fucking watched, or incidents where the videos show something else entirely. 

I don't think the ball was completely over the line tbh. Everyone seems to be going off the position of the bottom of the ball in relation to the line (which was over) and completely ignoring the fact that ball is - amazing as it may seem - actually ball-shaped. There's no way from the angles given that you can be certain that the entire circumference was over... Not that it mattered much like, it's not like we wouldn't have won anyway.

Looked over the line in the ground (sat toward Gal/Mil corner from it) but it wouldn't have mattered in the scheme of things anyway, just helped us along. Given that Ben Arfa only poked the ball a few yards toward the touchline and the defence were already deeper than he, the lino should've been up with the play and if it was good enough for him it's good enough for me. Also worth noting he gave the HBA pen, fuck knows what Atkinson was watching.

Guest zicomartin

The real question is...

Had  it been between the posts, would it be a goal? 

Sadly, we will never know, but I suspect not.

Pretty sure Savage isn't aware of this concept btw..