Match tickets

Crumpy Gunt

Although, then I suppose the issue might be that if tickets are a fiver/tenner for early league cup games, many will see it as an easy loyalty point even if they have no intention of going. So in effect we may deny non-season ticket holders getting into cup games too...

Oh, what tangled webs...

3 hours ago, SteV said:

I do agree with that actually. Although I use it myself as a ST holder, I don’t think it’s particularly fair tbh.

I've used it as well via very kind people on this forum, not fair though is it. By all means ST holders should be able to buy them on general sale, but preferential treatment before everyone else isn't fair IMO.

Loyalty points are very problematic IMO. Can't earn any because you never have enough points to buy an away ticket. So it seems like it will always be the same couple of thousand people who can go to away games. 

Guess membership does potentially allow you a route in, but I'm not sure how many away games ever go to member sale.

Aye, I've benefitted from using my dad's account who is a ST holder to buy my old seat next to him for the home games I've come back up for. I think members should get priority if there's a scheme in place and there is. ST holders become members automatically as the membership cost is included in the ST. Unless they charge for a membership for general sale tickets so ST holders have to buy it as well, I don't know what they can change there.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Loyalty points are very problematic IMO. Can't earn any because you never have enough points to buy an away ticket. So it seems like it will always be the same couple of thousand people who can go to away games. 

Guess membership does potentially allow you a route in, but I'm not sure how many away games ever go to member sale.

I agree with this tbh. Matchgoing scum Those with points argue that you've had ample time to build over the years which also is true. I don't know what they can do to change it though, unless you know someone with a high amount of points and they sort you out you'll more or less never be able to go to an away game in the near future. I think they need to adjust it so you can earn points by other means. Not solely buying an away match ticket. Home cup tickets was my suggestion, don't know what else can be done though.

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Tbh, it’s only a problem now demand is high again. Previous to this season you were probably looking at ~50% of away games going to Members sale, or at least to zero points. 

If you’ve had a ST over the recent past (and didn’t give it up) there’s been plenty of opportunities to build up points.

Having said that, it’s never that straight forward, and everyone has their own individual circumstances that could justifiably mean they feel ‘unlucky’ to be missing out going forward.

5 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Aye, I've benefitted from using my dad's account who is a ST holder to buy my old seat next to him for the home games I've come back up for. I think members should get priority if there's a scheme in place and there is. ST holders become members automatically as the membership cost is included in the ST. Unless they charge for a membership for general sale tickets so ST holders have to buy it as well, I don't know what they can change there.

I agree with this tbh. Matchgoing scum Those with points argue that you've had ample time to build over the years which also is true. I don't know what they can do to change it though, unless you know someone with a high amount of points and they sort you out you'll more or less never be able to go to an away game in the near future. I think they need to adjust it so you can earn points by other means. Not solely buying an away match ticket. Home cup tickets was my suggestion, don't know what else can be done though.

Giving points for home cup games is probably fair enough. Although can’t see it having any great impact. Suppose it does give folk a foot on the points ladder but if you’re only looking at 2/3 a season (granted will be more if and when we’re back in Europe) 40/50 points for an away ticket is still going to feel a million miles away.

I guess the complicated thing for us, you could argue, is that it was more loyal not to go to games in recent years. This will be key for season tickets as well, rewarding people who you could argue enabled Mike Ashley by continuing to go.

Not intended as a dig :lol:

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I guess the complicated thing for us, you could argue, is that it was more loyal not to go to games in recent years. This will be key for season tickets as well, rewarding people who you could argue enabled Mike Ashley by continuing to go.

Not intended as a dig :lol:

That’s an argument that’s never got a definitive answer though, so I’ll swerve that one 😂

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Giving points for home cup games is probably fair enough. Although can’t see it having any great impact. Suppose it does give folk a foot on the points ladder but if you’re only looking at 2/3 a season (granted will be more if and when we’re back in Europe) 40/50 points for an away ticket is still going to feel a million miles away.

You'll probably only get 2 or 3 away tickets and points a season anyway the way it is right now.

50 points is 50 away games, discounting cups and potential European trips, that's across 3 seasons, 2 of which is getting a ticket for every away match in the season, which will be impossible to do as probably only around 2 or 3 games will hit 0 points in future: midweeks, trips to East Anglia and the south coast. Maybe Palace away as well. 

On top of that, people can't afford to do that. I'm in my third year at uni, I chucked my ticket in summer 2019 due to the club charging £811 for it, logistics of it with living in Derby and anger at Benitez leaving. Prior to that when I had my ST, I was in school and doing A Levels and could hardly afford it. I'll (fingers crossed) be doing my master's next year and travel, food and beer costs on top of all of it means you can't or haven't been able to get to those games. 

In the USA there are several aftermarket sites that sell tickets. Does the UK have something like this?

You can basically get a ticket to any game you want if you pay 4x face value.

Just now, McDog said:

In the USA there are several aftermarket sites that sell tickets. Does the UK have something like this?

I'd rather not fund touts.

The secondary market is a bit more dodgy/unofficial here.

Some clubs have their own sites which allow reselling. I got a ticket for Spurs v Liverpool for £100+ from the Spurs marketplace.

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

2 minutes ago, McDog said:

It’s illegal to re-sell football tickets above face value in this country. Obviously not to say it doesn’t happen, and if you have enough money you can nearly always find one, but it’s not done openly.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The secondary market is a bit more dodgy/unofficial here.

Some clubs have their own sites which allow reselling. I got a ticket for Spurs v Liverpool for £100+ from the Spurs marketplace.

What was the original price? How did they get around charging more (assuming it was more)?

15 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

You'll probably only get 2 or 3 away tickets and points a season anyway the way it is right now.

50 points is 50 away games, discounting cups and potential European trips, that's across 3 seasons, 2 of which is getting a ticket for every away match in the season, which will be impossible to do as probably only around 2 or 3 games will hit 0 points in future: midweeks, trips to East Anglia and the south coast. Maybe Palace away as well. 

On top of that, people can't afford to do that. I'm in my third year at uni, I chucked my ticket in summer 2019 due to the club charging £811 for it, logistics of it with living in Derby and anger at Benitez leaving. Prior to that when I had my ST, I was in school and doing A Levels and could hardly afford it. I'll (fingers crossed) be doing my master's next year and travel, food and beer costs on top of all of it means you can't or haven't been able to get to those games. 

Yep, like I said, often individual circumstances that have prevented people from going in the past, rather than just ‘they didn’t go cos we were shit’.

But how do you quantify any of that into some meaningful system? You can’t unfortunately.

I’ve always been curious about the legality of the £1 the club charges for away tickets that are already at the agreed legal limit of £30 which virtually every game is these days. 

On another point £20 is plenty should’ve been agreed with all the clubs. £30 is still a bit of a piss take as unnecessarily expensive.

I think loyalty points for Home cup games and friendlies etc is a good idea to help newer fans build up their points.I speak as someone who has 160+ points from attending away games myself as well as helping friends or we’ll deserving fans occasionally with tickets.

Slightly concerning the size of the chunk the club is now taking for the squad and more so it’s sponsors. Apparently 800 approx for Spurs away were held back.

43 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Until the last 3 months it's been easy to get an away ticket for just about any away game. That was the time to build points. Mind you'd probably get called a judas scumbag if you decided to do so

1 minute ago, jack j said:

Until the last 3 months it's been easy to get an away ticket for just about any away game. That was the time to build points. Mind you'd probably get called a judas scumbag if you decided to do so

Well exactly, going or not going hasn't really had anything to do with "loyalty".

Even so though, how many points will you need for an away game now? Seems like it could take several years of going to every away game to earn enough. Which obviously you can't do if they sell to people with more points. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Guest neesy111
3 minutes ago, LFEE said:

I’ve always been curious about the legality of the £1 the club charges for away tickets that are already at the agreed legal limit of £30 which virtually every game is these days. 

On another point £20 is plenty should’ve been agreed with all the clubs. £30 is still a bit of a piss take as unnecessarily expensive.

I think loyalty points for Home cup games and friendlies etc is a good idea to help newer fans build up their points.I speak as someone who has 160+ points from attending away games myself as well as helping friends or we’ll deserving fans occasionally with tickets.

Slightly concerning the size of the chunk the club is now taking for the squad and more so it’s sponsors. Apparently 800 approx for Spurs away were held back.

It was completely legal, the £30 was just an agreement with the league between clubs was nothing set in law about it. :lol:

Edited by neesy111

1 minute ago, jack j said:

Disagree with that. Buying or attending home tickets for games marked for boycott lead to those kind of accusations. Not to away fans as £1 aside the majority of the money was going elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

It was completely legal, the £30 was just an agreement with the league between clubs was nothing set in law about it. :lol:

But the ticket is £31 not £30. What’s stopping the club charging £5 or £10 booking fee to circumvent the £30 limit?