The other games today - 2013/14

Dave

The media are going way over the with this suspension business. Dante is back for a start.

Dante in for Martinez, Kroos moves back to Schweinstagers position with Götze in the attacking central role. They'll miss Schweinstager as he's probably the best player in the world in his position, but it's not like there's a crisis in Munich.

Remind some of some guy who was trying to join in a discussion about Qatar hosting the world cup, claiming they deserve it for having the best players. He then came back and said how come I see this guy on the front of FIFA every year I go to buy NBA?  :lol: :lol:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLWoXNDvRaOMh6O6gT00gs4jZMmFD_cR8ixeXIpf6_KiDU51Z4MQ

Fair play to Man Utd tonight. Played for their fans, played for their manager, mind you have to ask why they've failed to show such resilience in other 'big' games this year.

Fair play also to Rooney for a blatant act of cheating to ensure Schweinsteiger was sent off, which was comically defended by various ITV 'analysts' and will no doubt be swept under the carpet in this country because it's Wazza Rooney getting that nasty German sent off. Not that it'll make a massive difference next week, but at least from a neutral's perspective Man Utd did enough to suggest it won't be an entirely foregone conclusion.

Didn't see it, but did Townsend really blame Alaba for Vidic's goal when Jerome Boateng was marking him?  :mackems:

Atletico were so impressive tonight, knew what to expect and played the perfect European away game.  Unless Martino starts Alexis instead of sacrificing the attack by playing Neymar out right I can see Barcelona going out.  Either that and drop Cesc and play Iniesta with Xavi, Fabregas has had a good season but really poor tonight.  Simply can't leave Alexis on the bench.

Less said about Pinto the better.

Didn't see it, but did Townsend really blame Alaba for Vidic's goal when Jerome Boateng was marking him?  :mackems:

Atletico were so impressive tonight, knew what to expect and played the perfect European away game.  Unless Martino starts Alexis instead of sacrificing the attack by playing Neymar out right I can see Barcelona going out.  Either that and drop Cesc and play Iniesta with Xavi, Fabregas has had a good season but really poor tonight.  Simply can't leave Alexis on the bench.

Less said about Pinto the better.

Cesc has been good, but he shouldn't be starting in games like this. Xavi and Iniesta are essential to that team and a team like Atletico that is so hard to break needs 3 unpredictable players up top that can do stuff in speed. Neymar, Messi and Alexis should be starting up top.

Yeah I think Barca pretty much always look better with a proper front 3.

:thup:

Even Diego Simeone commented on how it's much easier to defend Neymar when he plays on the right.

Problem with Fabregas is he's not only slow of feet but slow of mind.

He doesn't have the dynamism to escape his markers in the confined space that is the midfield like Iniesta and Xavi can which is why he can't replace Xavi and he never will he's a totally different type of player.

He's great when he's allowed to be the 10, because he has more space and can show his ability to put through fantastic through balls but Barca don't really use a 10.

This is okay against smaller opposition but time and again its a problem against big teams where they are so much more dangerous with Neymar-Messi-Pedro/Alexis.

Above all else though it puts Iniesta and Neymar in their natural positions and on the same side of the pitch and you don't really want those two dribbling, linking up and running at you :lol:

If Barca's manager doesn't realise this after last night he never will, Atleti couldn't live with them for that last 20 mins if they start like that in the 2nd leg they will go through.

If not then its all up in the air.

:thup:

Have to agree Mole. Cesc has never been Xavis replacement and only way he plays his best football is when Song and Busquets plays behind him so he gets more space in front and usually that's against smaller teams only.

It's quite evident to why he plays Neymar on the right instead of player like Alexis or Pedro that do it better on that side and it's because of his sheer unpredictability. He doesn't do well, but he's still able to make the other accumulate yellow cards with his feet. Yesterday Atletico got 3 yellow cards through fouls on him.

I'm expecting Alexis to play and Cesc to be benched next week. Wouldn't surprise me to see both Neymar and Cesc on the bench on the weekend, although I'd probably bench Neymar and Iniesta/Xavi for this encounter.

Atletico is they can close up shop like yesterday they'll stumble through on away goals. Hope none of the teams tonight wins by large margin so we've got four excellent CL quarters next week.

It's Groundhog Day for Cesc, he always starts the season very strongly yet fades after the New Year. He was slow both of mind and of body yesterday.

Worst thing is that Atlético can park the bus now - something which they are very good at - and sneak one on the counter. Not really confident.

Oh man, I want to kill our board. The Thiago clause, the Neymar transfer, now this... what a bunch of muppets.

:lol: Telling the man feeding the donkey that drags his cart with the uneven wooden wheels that the engine in his Murcielago is making an odd noise.

Oh man, I want to kill our board. The Thiago clause, the Neymar transfer, now this... what a bunch of muppets.

:lol: Telling the man feeding the donkey that drags his cart with the uneven wooden wheels that the engine in his Murcielago is making an odd noise.

No way we finish above third next season too, NO WAY. :anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

No way we finish above third next season too, NO WAY. :anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

I bet you'll win the league both this and next year.