Match-going fans - deserving of blame?

Beren
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We only have one way of fighting this and it just seems people are doing the opposite despite being treat with constant contempt.

There's just no significant opposition to the utter s*** we're being put through and that needs to change.

:thup: Spot on.

We will of course though see in this thread the vacuous argument that being a supporter means going to matches regardless of any circumstance and that it is even somehow admirable to actively enable those who take the p*ss out of you. Which is akin to some sort of retarded old military romanticism like charging at machine guns.

Nice analogy. :lol:

:thup:

Supporting through thick and thin captures a lot - being fucked over by refs, blowing your last chance at silverware or success for what you expect will be an unforeseeably long time etc... but it doesn't include funding/supporting a management structure which seeks to deny you the opportunity to even feel such nadirs/injustice or makes you ashamed of the club.

I'd personally even go as far to argue its incumbent upon fans who support what I perceive to be the values of the club, to turn your back on those who seek to make it into the pathetic sponsorship vehicle it is (/becoming). Supporting your club does not exclusively occur through the emptying of your wallet into Ashley's collection sack and obsequiously watching and passively swallowing whatever they serve (reminder: if this Cisse deals go through, Shola is our owned first-choice striker), and I'd wager a lot of the fans who aren't renewing find it quite agonising to stay away. I wouldn't call them fairweather fans (or whatever meaningless barb you want) at all. I've never been a ST and if that invalidates my opinion, so be it - but I miss coming up to Newcastle the handful of times I go every season and I'd much prefer to go than stay away.

On the money Beren. Top drawer.

Guest bimpy474

:anguish:

Well it was such a patronising post i couldn't help myself, the first sentence is insulting.

It was genuine.

Telling that you assumed otherwise.  :D

No, i read it for what it said. As for wanting to make mincemeat out of anyone who slags us off. I simply dont. I just say i couldn't care less what they think. Why bother, they have their media driven, ignorant misguided and nearly 100% wrong view. Fuck them.

And trust me, living as i do down South i get it everyday, and have done since, well basically birth.

Guest reefatoon

Well it was such a patronising post i couldn't help myself, the first sentence is insulting.

It was genuine.

No, i read it for what it said. As for wanting to make mincemeat out of anyone who slags us off. I simply dont. I just say i couldn't care less what they think. Why bother, they have their media driven, ignorant misguided and nearly 100% wrong view. f*** them.

And trust me, living as i do down South i get it everyday, and have done since, well basically birth.

What kind of sick midwife hurls football abuse at a baby. Sickening stuff.

Guest bimpy474

It was genuine.

No, i read it for what it said. As for wanting to make mincemeat out of anyone who slags us off. I simply dont. I just say i couldn't care less what they think. Why bother, they have their media driven, ignorant misguided and nearly 100% wrong view. f*** them.

What kind of sick midwife hurls football abuse at a baby. Sickening stuff.

West Ham fan she was :lol:

Guest Dontooner

Well if fans are getting lure by cheaper tickets and not passion. Surely enough we will turn into a diner with large portions on discounts with mostly passive family crowds. Ashley is slowly molding the club(fans) into his p*ss taking game.

The problem strictly for myself are that the principles of the owner doesn't align with my club anymore. Dont think renewing or not renewing the tickets are the problem, the fans are slowly being replaced by less vocals fans. Ashley is in total control knowing crowd behavior and has a hand in evolving the fan base.

It has to be a collective effort of ST holders, match goes , the city , the media to bring a stop to this regime. If you can have a near empty stadium for a single match , i am pretty sure the message would be loud and clear.

It probably too hard to make it happen since every individual/group has its own ego and personal persona ... i guess a truly strong club is one that has the same vision and mind.

I still think an empty stadium for a tv match this season would be a massive protest. It may not hit him in his pocket but I still think it would have the desired effect, but again we're not great as fans at organising stuff like this. To many people will have their excuses for not refusing turning up for one game. I'd happily do it despite being a continuing paying season ticket holder.

I still think an empty stadium for a tv match this season would be a massive protest. It may not hit him in his pocket but I still think it would have the desired effect, but again we're not great as fans at organising stuff like this. To many people will have their excuses for not refusing turning up for one game. I'd happily do it despite being a continuing paying season ticket holder.

It would have the effect of drawing attention to our dissatisfaction, but if the 'desired effect' is Ashley selling up I've got serious doubts.

The first time people called him a few nasty names he tried to flog the club and the last time before Saturday he ended up having a paddy and banning the press from the ground for no good reason.  Boycotts haven't really been attempted yet, but the guy's such an unpredictable, petulant man-child that it has to be worth a go, even if it's just for one game. 

Can't see our lot doing it though mind and that's fine, it's up to them and I'm not going to have a go at fans for attending the match.  If they go to the match and chant for Pardew or buy lots of tatty merchandise from the club shop or SD I'm a touch more judgemental though.  I voted "On the fence" by the way, as I don't think we really know how big an impact more focussed actions would have until we try.

There's a simple Hierarchy:

Those who go home and away

Those who go home games only

Those who go occasionally

Those who used to go but don't now for various reasons.

All of the above have an opinion and their views are important weighted in line with the above hierarchy.

Then there's everyone else.

Those who go are the club.

The first time people called him a few nasty names he tried to flog the club and the last time before Saturday he ended up having a paddy and banning the press from the ground for no good reason.  Boycotts haven't really been attempted yet, but the guy's such an unpredictable, petulant man-child that it has to be worth a go, even if it's just for one game. 

Can't see our lot doing it though mind and that's fine, it's up to them and I'm not going to have a go at fans for attending the match.  If they go to the match and chant for Pardew or buy lots of tatty merchandise from the club shop or SD I'm a touch more judgemental though.  I voted "On the fence" by the way, as I don't think we really know how big an impact more focussed actions would have until we try.

Fair post, if we can agree on anything it's that his actions are fairly unpredictable.

All of the above have an opinion and their views are important weighted in line with the above hierarchy.

I mainly go to aways.

http://aznbadger.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/200px-wwf_mr_perfect.jpg

I mainly go to aways.

Then you're covered by the third category.

That's good.  I'm sure if any opposing fans tried to rub your noses in it you'd make mincemeat of them by educating them in the intricacies of our situation as well.

I had only made the point to someone who was saying that supporting through thick and thin didn't cover the current situation.  As if there's some caveat about our situation that doesn't apply elsewhere.

It's actually exactly the sort of time that "thick and thin" refers to.  A phrase that makes no allowances for the nuanced context we can see.

:lol:  You're so precious.

Guest alijmitchell

So much :serious: going on in this thread. Being bothered about attendances as a football fan is prepubescent and suggesting a hierarchy of fans views based on their attendance must be a wind up. Added to the suggestion that if you'd been attending through all the 'thin' and we actually won something, you could hold some sort of smug moral high ground over those that walked away due to Ashley - this thread has turned moronic. Imagine enjoying cup final day, watching Newcastle lift a cup and thinking 'those cunts weren't there through it all', during the elation. I'd genuinely feel sorry for you. This is some sort of talksport drivetime shit man.

So much :serious: going on in this thread. Being bothered about attendances as a football fan is prepubescent and suggesting a hierarchy of fans views based on their attendance must be a wind up. Added to the suggestion that if you'd been attending through all the 'thin' and we actually won something, you could hold some sort of smug moral high ground over those that walked away due to Ashley - this thread has turned moronic. Imagine enjoying cup final day, watching Newcastle lift a cup and thinking 'those c***s weren't there through it all', during the elation. I'd genuinely feel sorry for you. This is some sort of talksport drivetime s*** man.

Some of the crap in this thread is about as childish as you'll ever see, worrying what others might think of our crowds.  :lol:

Guest neesy111

None of the fans going / not are to blame for the predicament.  We are all just victims of a mass and unfunny piss take by Michael Ashley and his cronies.

So much :serious: going on in this thread. Being bothered about attendances as a football fan is prepubescent and suggesting a hierarchy of fans views based on their attendance must be a wind up. Added to the suggestion that if you'd been attending through all the 'thin' and we actually won something, you could hold some sort of smug moral high ground over those that walked away due to Ashley - this thread has turned moronic. Imagine enjoying cup final day, watching Newcastle lift a cup and thinking 'those cunts weren't there through it all', during the elation. I'd genuinely feel sorry for you. This is some sort of talksport drivetime shit man.

Just being into football is a childish pursuit we don't ever grow out of.  Grown men spending our time posting on a football forum would be cringe inducing to the more pompous arsehole.

"Plastics"

"Glory hunters"

"Fairweather"

"Your support is fucking shit"

"Where' d'you park your minibus"

"Sell all your tickets, you couldn't sell..."

Supporters have more ways of baiting each other than eskimos have words for snow.  It's half the fun.

Anyone who takes that stuff seriously is a wanker, but no fan should ever give it the Billy big bollocks that all that shite is beneath them, like they're a more enlightened supporter.

That's good.  I'm sure if any opposing fans tried to rub your noses in it you'd make mincemeat of them by educating them in the intricacies of our situation as well.

I had only made the point to someone who was saying that supporting through thick and thin didn't cover the current situation.  As if there's some caveat about our situation that doesn't apply elsewhere.

It's actually exactly the sort of time that "thick and thin" refers to.  A phrase that makes no allowances for the nuanced context we can see.

:lol:  You're so precious.

tumblr_n09tyxWsge1rv2i5fo1_400.gif

Just being into football is a childish pursuit we don't ever grow out of.  Grown men spending our time posting on a football forum would be cringe inducing to the more pompous arsehole.

"Plastics"

"Glory hunters"

"Fairweather"

Supporters have more ways of baiting each other than eskimos have words for snow.  It's half the fun.

Anyone who takes that stuff seriously is a wanker, but no fan should ever give it the Billy big bollocks that all that shite is beneath them, like they're a more enlightened supporter.

Sorry like. but what has the fact that football fans goad each other in different ways mean that we should be bothered about what we think about our attendances. I don't see the link between that and those examples other than the blanket field of football fan.

"Plastics"

"Glory hunters"

"Fairweather"

Sorry like. but what has the fact that football fans goad each other in different ways mean that we should be bothered about what we think about our attendances. I don't see the link between that and those examples other than the blanket field of football fan.

Sorry, I don't understand those sentences.